Cathal Coughlan has passed away, at age 61.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MarkO, May 23, 2022.

1. MarkO

MarkO Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. AlmondRoca

AlmondRoca Forum Resident

Terrible, terrible news. Rest well, Cathal.

kt66brooklyn and patient_ot like this.
  3. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

A singular artist . FATIMA MANSIONS was a perplexing and mysterious offering that sounds as displaced in time now just like it did on release. Respect.

patient_ot, Putrifiers II and MarkO like this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

5. Django

Django Forum Resident

RIP CC

6. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Terrible news, very sad, his last album is superb.

patient_ot and Patanoia like this.
  7. MarkO

MarkO Forum Resident Thread Starter

Select magazine, back in the day, did a good piece on Fatima Mansions when they were playing support to U2 on the ZooTV tour in Milan or Turin. Cathal showed up on stage in a Barcelona shirt .... quite deliberately too.

Squiggsy68 likes this.
  8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Very sad news, great voice and songwriting. I'm glad I got to see him once on a rare US visit (with FM).

9. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

Saw Fatima Mansions supporting U2 on the Zoo TV tour and found them to be simply brilliant. I went scurrying out and bought Viva Dead Ponies the very next day. A fantastic songwriter and an intense onstage presence.

Fred Dender, patient_ot and MarkO like this.
  10. joey essex

joey essex Forum Resident

He'd just released some mighty albums. Really sad. RIP.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

Sad to hear...saw him many times live in various guises over the years.

I missed the Microdisney reunion at the National Concert Hall in Dublin a few years back - the clips looked and sounded great

(He always came across as angry, confrontational, possibly resentful of the lack of commercial success and yet deliberately going out of his way to make sure none came his way. A shame really - great voice, unique songwriting style and quite a handsome dude.)

12. joey essex

Oddly enough, when questioned about successful acts like U2, he was actually extremely supportive and lacked any negativity towards them. All I can remember is warmth and praise for people who came up under similar circumstances.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

13. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Oh my god, this is devastating news. What a terrible loss. This one hits really hard. Cathal has been among my very favorite artists for decades, especially for his work with Microdisney and his solo career. The man was, in my opinion, the best and most intelligent lyricist working today, and his music was excellent, uncompromising, and truly unique until the end. Hearing him sing was always a great source of comfort for me, even when his lyrics were at their most caustic.

I was not able to see any of the Microdisney reunion shows a few years ago (something I regret now more than ever), but he sure seemed to be in top health based on the clips I saw. I wonder how long he'd been ill and whether his significantly increased activity over the last couple years had anything to do with that.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  14. joey essex

Feed the birds poisoned bread
    In the square beneath my place of birth
    People die, so will I
    Cut and dried and empty
    Quite alone
    When they bury me
    When the people know of the baby boy

He was such a gifted lyricist. Profound irony, gentle music.

15. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Thanks for this. Yet another case where I had no idea who the artist was until their passing but the bits of music I just heard sounded really interesting. Going to deep dive into their solo stuff as well as Fatima Mansions and Microdisney. RIP.

16. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Sad sad news....I love everything MICRODISNEY.. ...not familiar with his work beyond that bands output.too young!!R.I.P.

patient_ot likes this.
  17. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

RIP Cathal. The NCH show and the subsequent show in Vicar St. were both excellent. The band came out to the foyer after the NCH show and signed stuff. I got an autograph for myself and my brother (who was in secondary school with Cathal).

18. joey essex

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

R.I.P.

patient_ot likes this.
  20. Mezzer

Mezzer Forum Resident

What a shock. RIP. His music's been a big part of my life since the first Microdisney album.

patient_ot likes this.
  21. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

RIP. Always loved this track.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

Sad to hear this. 39 Minutes is a great record.

patient_ot likes this.
  23. rpirl

rpirl Forum Resident

R.I.P.
    A shock for sure. Was watching the vid for 'Amused As Hell' just the other night for first time in a couple of years.

Great video where he plays the part of a newsreader and also a reporter doing pieces to camera. Gets all the body language just right.

Most of my fave Microdisney stuff is on the last two albums and I think they were actually added to Spotify etc. for first time only a week or two ago.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

So sad. His recent solo album "Songs of Co-Aklan" and the TelefĂ­s album he did with Jacknife Lee are amongst his best work, all of it is worth spending some time with though. I'd listened to more of his music recently than ever. At least he went out on a creative high.

Also, what a voice! I love it and it never lost a step!

Patanoia likes this.
  25. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

This is terrible news. A brilliant artist with a unique perspective. He will be missed. Rest In Peace.

Doctorwu and MarkO like this.