CCM Magazine Rock Airplay chart - Sept. 23, 1986

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Sep 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

BradOlson likes this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

No surprise there.

3. BradOlson

@JamieC you should see these charts.

4. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

For my tastes, these charts reflect the mixed bag representative of CCM in '86. Despite the fact that my favorite CCM Rock album of the '80s came out that year - Undercover's Branded - 1986 was a bit of a lull, with better years just before and after. MWS was on top of the world, but was never really my thing. The Call was and still is a favorite, and it was exciting at the time to see their mainstream (Elektra) works "imported" into the CCM bookstore world for sale in those shops. Otherwise, The Choir wouldn't hit their stride for a few years (Chase The Kangaroo) and Steve Taylor was quiet until roaring back in '87 with I Predict 1990. Allies, 441, and Altar Boys were all groups I listened to at the time but haven't held up well over the years, IMHO.

5. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

There are two acts that may be defined this way on my shelves. Rez and John Michael Talbot. Both have on cool record that i still like. The only one i know on the list are the Call, Cool band, and i know the name Phil Keaggy but i think of a fingerstyle guitarist? maybe.

6. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Keaggy is the only thing I would listen to on those lists today. So much of it is cring worthy. For my money only Larry Norman Mark Heard and a tiny bit of Randy Stonehill is acceptable to my ears today.

7. BradOlson

The December 1979 CCM radio chart
    [​IMG]

Mark B. likes this.
  8. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

That Contemporary chart has some great stuff on it! Amy, Dylan, Imperials. I was just starting to "get into" CCM during this period. Great memories associated with lots of these songs.

BradOlson likes this.
  9. BradOlson

Why Should The Father Bother was Petra's first major radio hit (from Washes Whiter Than) ever but their breakthrough album was the followup album, Never Say Die. Dallas Holm's signature song, the classic Rise Again was huge at the time and is a timeless song. Oh Buddha is one of my favorite Imperials songs and it was huge, the same with Praise The Lord. Jesus On My Mind, the #1 on the Contemporary airplay chart as of Dec. 1979 is one of my favorites of B.J. Thomas's CCM classics. The Amy Grant songs on this chart are 2 of her best from the early years, Father's Eyes and Faith Walkin' People, especially Father's Eyes. The Dan Peek song on the Contemporary chart, All Things Are Possible, is a classic as well as is Special Delivery by Evie. Of course, you can't forget about Dylan's Gotta Serve Somebody and I Believe In You.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.