CCR - Original multitrack mastertapes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenexte, Mar 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident Thread Starter

The recently reissued CCR SACD's are worlds better than the original Fantasy CDs and the Japanese import K2s, but having said that these recordings are never going to win awards for the original engineering.

I am wondering whatever happened to the original multitrack tapes of these recordings? Why they were never used for any of these reissues in the past? Are they simply lost or locked up due to legal battles?
    -wolf

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

They are in the Fantasy vault.

All the stuff that makes those songs instantly recognizable all over the World are from the MIXING (tube console, slap echo, compression, chamber, EQ, tube distortion, etc). The multi-tracks sound like demo tapes of CreedenceMania.

Get me?

3. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Lol!

Hmmm... does this mean Credence was "made" by the mixing engineers?

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It funny, but I always felt the Creedence stuff generally sounded pretty good, with some songs sounding very good, and some others that could be better.

I planned on buying some of Steve's new Creedence and AP Jazz LP's with my tax refund, plus some other new vinyl reissues, but I didn't plan on losing my job when I did, so they'll have to wait for a little bit (end of ramble :)).

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Truly sorry to hear about your misfortune. But if I may take a lighter note. I got a chuckle out of your home town-- Lodi. I always liked that tune.

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I have question kind of related to this. Why isn't Chronicle remastered yet? Does anyone know when it will be done.

7. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

My guess has always been that a package of hits might drastically cut into sales of the individual albums as many people might limit their purchase to the hits comp. Steve might have the definitive answer, though.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Lodi, California...

9. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Why is slap echo (slapback) called"slap" or "slapback"??? Boss, anybody??? :confused: Knowing that alla that tubey madness was going on back then, would you/could you (Dr. Seuss, anyone???) make stereo mixes that were actually wide enough to discern into distinct stereo, not the rhythm guitar only that pops up in those mixes on one channel), or is it a matter of ending up with something that bears little resemblance to the original mix??? I'm thinking of the point at which the original sacd/lp's sales have tailed off - would Fantasy allow you a crack at updated mixes, or is that verboten??? Am I asking too many questions, huh, am I???? (Sorry, The Chuck Jones Show was on Cartoon Network the other day and a bunch of Sniffles cartoons were shown)... ;)

10. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Too bad Dwight Twilley isn't a member here. HE'D know for sure!

11. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I've always figured it was because it's similar sounding to what happens when a sound slaps against a hard wall and bounces back.

12. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Maybe he lurks!!! Iffen he was here, I'd bet Twilley don't mind sharing his info!

13. Steve Hoffman

Mike,

C'mon, you of all people. Slapback echo, Sun Studios echo caused by the delay of one revolution of a tape machine.

14. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

From what i've heard from folks in the biz, its John Fogerty who wont allow the CCR tapes to be remixed. I guess he feels that the classic CCR sound that they got on the records cant be duplicated, which is hogwash.

What I'd LOVE is a 5.1 mix of CCRs 20 greatest tracks. THAT would be audio heaven.

15. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

No, I know where it started - why is it referred to as "slap" or "slapback"??? :confused:

16. Steve Hoffman

The Fantasy folk feel the mixes can't be duplicated, some have tried and failed. Fogerty has no say in the matter whatsoever!

17. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

There are some of us who don't think it's "hogwash". I have yet to hear a remix (*) that truly captured the essense of the original mixdown sessions.

(*) Caveat: I'm not talking about twintrack or three-track mixdowns, where things where basically panned and let run. Mixing 8+ tracks can be an immense challenge. Digging up period reverbs, compressors, and the like can a huge chore unto itself. Getting all the eq, effects, and pans correct is a massive undertaking.

Heck, I know this just from mixing my own band's stuff. I don't think I ever mixed the same song twice the same way.

Getting that magic back 35 years later? I dunno.... Didn't seem to work with The Who, or D&TD's Layla.

jeff

18. Steve Hoffman

Sap echo also called slapback 1. Acoustics. A single echo resulting from parallel non-absorbing (i.e., reflective) walls, characterized by lots of high frequency content. So-called because you can test for slap echo by sharply clapping your hands and listening for the characteristic sound of the echo in the mid-range. Slap echo smears a stereo sound field by destroying the critical phase relationships necessary to form an accurate sound stage. 2. Recording. Devices that simulate slap echo are popular in recording. One distinct repeat echo is added to an instrument sound resulting in a very live sound similar to what you would hear in an auditorium.

19. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

That's what I was fishing for!!! I'd slap you on the back (if I just lived a little bit closer to the left coast)...

20. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I love the fact that I can now hear the original CCR mixes in hi-rez...wish the Apple camp felt the same reverance for the original mono Beatles mixes!

Those (Beatles) mixes are finished, sound great and have been in the can for years. I guess they are doomed to stay there.

:(

21. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Zanz can't dance!!:laugh:

22. Steve Hoffman

I agree, it's a bitch to remix something "in the style of..." with eight channels or more. I done many of them out of necessity (someone insists on stereo or something) and have never been truly happy with even one. They all sound nice, but nothing like the originals to me. I'm critical though. I'm just not a remix guy. The intensity and white-hot passion of any original mix just can't be duplicated.

Unless the original song was "pre-mixed" with echo and compression right on the multi, like Simon & Garfunkel's "P.S.R and T.", it's impossible to get that correct old sound. Sure you can use a bunch of vintage out board gear to smash out a similar sounding mix, but why bother?

23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Steve, as you know, there are the BSN regular posters and Mike Callahan who insist on stereo whenever possible, especially wide stereo.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Of course, those are poor examples. Better ones would be the Byrds and Simon & Garfunkel. Not always 100% like the originals, but Pretty Darn Close (TM).

Don't forget that some CCR has already been remixed, into Quad.

25. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Please, Steve, PLEEEEEASSSSE, do a Creedence Gold SACD with the quad mix on the MC layer! Would they let you? Would the fact that it wouldn't have all the hit 45s like Chronicle help towards this goal (wouldn't cannibalize sales as much)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.