CD collectors. Jewel case matter?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mist3rCe, Jun 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

They said they would mail me a sample today. Thanks for the tip.

Greenalishi likes this.
  2. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

I don't care what condition the jewel case is in, as long as the CD is in pristine condition.... it's about the music not the jewel case

3. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

No, jewel cases mean nothing to me these days. I am in the process of converting over to these to free up more space for MORE!

Space Saving Sleeves

Crimson Witch and ConnieGuitar like this.
  4. modela

modela Forum Resident

I buy a lot of used CDs these days at thrift stores and the jewel cases are often cracked. Unless it is a super special find, lately I just repair them using Scotch Magic Tape on both sides of the crack. It's cheap, inexpensive and gets the job done. :righton:

5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I can’t believe I was reading people in the other “buying rules” thread saying that a scratched or broken jewel case is an absolute no go when buying CDs and they would even return them to online sellers if they were to receive any. That is simply ludicrous and ridiculous.

6. manicpopthrill

Sent them a request for a sample, and they ignored it. Looks like Bags Unlimited will get my money.

SJP likes this.
  7. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

The "sample" I got was an initial order of about 300 sleeves IIRC, maybe more. I think I maximized the volume discount so it might have been 500. The guy is a little flakey in that I inquired about my first order. He blamed COVID for supply issues and then shipped within a day thereafter. My subsequent order was placed after inquiring about "supply" and I got it quickly. Perhaps this isn't the biggest operation out there but I really like the product so I'm sticking with it.

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Same here, been at it for months and still have about 8,000 to go. Moved into a new house with space heaters mounted along the baseboards and I simply can’t put all my 42 filled IKEA shelves along the wall any longer.

I tried asking for a bulk discount if I ordered 5 or 10,000 at once and he said no.

SJP likes this.
  9. manicpopthrill

This guy sounds like a real gem. He'll probably also ignore the brusque email I sent him this evening. :laugh:

SJP likes this.
  10. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I'll ultimately need somewhere between 5 & 10K but I'm not ordering all at once. I'm pretty much maximizing the existing volume discount (500 IIRC) and will place an order ever several months until I'm done.

11. manicpopthrill

He responded today, stating that he doesn't have the resources to send out sample sleeves. One sleeve isn't worth the chance at selling thousands to one individual? No wonder he's a one man operation.

bru87tr likes this.
  12. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I like to have the original jewel case if it's something special - carries a special sticker, is coloured, is customised in som e other way.

aravel and sathvyre like this.
  13. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I get rid of the jewel cases and put the CDs and inserts in a plastic sleeve. It saves a lot of space and is esthetically more pleasing to me. I do keep the CD cases where the CD is an audiophile issue.

14. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

For what it's worth, another member on here just this week posted that they asked for a sample pack of 5 sleeves from him, so it's pretty easy to imagine that he gets *many* requests for samples.

While I certainly agree that it would be nice to "try before buying" (I would've appreciated it before I bit the bullet last year), one can't really expect the guy to ship out samples to everyone who asks - the couple of dollars he'd make (assuming people are even willing to pay the sample(s)) aren't worth the aggro of doing it.

Meanwhile I have personally found them worth the investment - the sleeves have allowed me to have all 3k+ of my CDs all in one spot, as well as I used the transitioning process as an excuse to finally input my collection into Discogs. Win win

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    SJP likes this.
  15. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

A jewelcase is replaceable, a damaged digipak not. That's the reason why I still prefer jewelcases and HATE digipaks and cheap cardboard covers for CD.

April Snow, MMan1, Alan2 and 2 others like this.
  16. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Not one damn given here.

17. manicpopthrill

It would cost him less than a dollar to send one sample sleeve out. I don't see where the aggro comes in. I strongly doubt he gets many requests in this age of vinyl and streaming. Very few people consider CDs worth keeping, let alone investing more money in them. Only weirdo collectors like those of us that inhabit this forum. :angel:

bru87tr likes this.
  18. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

I can't speak for the person or people behind the company. Several years ago I placed an order, received it, and have had no interaction with the company since.

If anyone wants a sample sleeve, just send me a PM.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  19. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Went to a yard sale once and saw all these CDs in plastic sleeves. I asked the seller about their jewel cases. The guy walks into his house and brings out a good size box of empty jewel cases that he promptly gave to me. I've been slowly using up his jewel cases to replace damaged jewel cases ever since.

Alan2 likes this.
  20. MMan1

MMan1 Forum Resident

Jewel cases only for me. If you look hard enough you can find some titles you think are only digipak in a jewel case. It takes a lot of patience. Then there's "Fat Boy" double jewel cases...or even single cases made for two CDs. I have to make sure every double CD has a jewel case for each disc , an original j card and booklet for each disc. Don't get me started. It's cost me some real bucks over the past 35 years to do it but I wouldn't have it any other way. By the way, what's the best replacement jewel boxes to get on Amazon..that are sturdy like the originals - under "Everything else" you put in jewel case and several brands come up. Any advice on Amazon jewel case brands??

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  21. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Good question because I’ve bought some that were really flimsy and just fell apart.

Im particularly interested in the 4CD variety.

22. Cuyler

Cuyler Forum Resident

+1. I’m also a big fan of smooth-sided jewel cases and would pay a couple of extra dollars for an early CD press still in its original smooth-sided jewel case. Modern jewel cases crack too easily.

bru87tr and kevin5brown like this.
  23. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Look out for them being given away on Freecycle.
    Picked up 650 recently.
    That should do me for a while
    :)

24. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

I use discsox.

25. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Yes, cases should be regarded during the grading process. Frustratingly, my experience is that the majority of sellers on Discogs exaggerate the condition of their merchandise. I call them out by leaving unfavorable feedback with an explanation. I ALWAYS get a snarky reply to the feedback left with a comment like, "You could have contacted me first" and then they always retaliate by giving me unfavorable feedback, which is ultimately removed by Discogs. It's still annoying though. Once in a blue moon, sellers do right and exceed my expectations.

I understand that plastic jewel cases are fragile, but if properly cared for, secured and stored, they'll remain pristine. On occasion, I will intentionally purchase what are described as less than perfect CDs, but I know what to expect.

All that to say that I regard cosmetic condition highly. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.