CD/Music Stores in Knoxville, TN??

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Jack, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack

Jack Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm bringing my son to Univ. of Tenn. this weekend(driving down from Massachusetts). Any cool stores around Knoxville that are worth a visit??

Thanks!

2. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member

I can't answer, but I can bump with some points. Rachael Bee is a forum member from Knoxville. She no doubt knows. :wave: For a fact, be forewarned that the interstate highway through the heart of town is closed for renovations / rebuilding, and all traffic flow is painfully slow on alternate routes.

I'm leaving Thursday morning for the Knoxville airport and have been given directions to avoid the city altogether.

Best of luck, and enjoy,

Dr. Weber

3. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Gaah! Same procedure as every year.

Try contacting SH member Vintage Season too, he's been in Knox Vegas for a while.

4. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

My favorite Knoxville music stores:

Lost and Found Records
    3714 Walker Blvd. (Off Broadway behind Fisher Tire)
    Specialize in vinyl; store with lots of character and friendly service.

Disc Exchange
    Chapman Highway (the Kingston Pike store is now closed)
    CDs, some vinyl, t-shirts, posters, magazines, books...great independent store

Book Eddy
    In the same shopping center as Disc Exchange
    Used books, lots of first editions, etc.
    Small record store located within the store.

That's really all there is now.

5. Jack

Thanks everyone. Alison, any opinion on a Basement Records??

Jack

6. filper

filper Forum Resident

Rachael is cool (and knows her tunes).

Send her a PM if she misses the post.

7. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

Buyer beware, I and others have seen the owner us lighter fluid to "clean" records. That is a major no no. Lighter fluid makes the records shine but damages them. Prices are book value, no bargains.

Your best bet for vinyl is Lost and Found. It's a small store but if they don't have in store they might have it at home. Leave your want list with them.

Book Eddy is OK but you gotta dig. Boxes of albums of every genre thrown together.

Sadly, that is it for vinyl. The used vinyl at Disc Exchange (next door to Book Eddy) is mostly junk as far as I'm concerned. At least it's priced to sell at $2-4.

TheOx

8. child of nature

I've never been to Basement Records before (I don't live in Knoxville). Where is it located? Just wondering, as I don't think I'll make any purchases from them, given your bit of info!

The vinyl section of Book Eddy is owned by Jay Nations, who owned Raven and Son-of-Raven "back in the day." There are some bargains to be had there. Until Lost and Found re-opened a couple of years ago, this was the best place to find LPs.

9. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

Basement is a couple of miles further down Chapman Hwy from Disc Exchange.

I'm so old I can remember when Raven was The Last Record Store at the end of the Strip. I've known Jay for more decades than either of us would admit too. :)

TheOx

MikeInFla likes this.
  10. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

When did Cats close?

11. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

There is only one Cat's left (Kingston Pike) and it is on it's last legs. The store is half the size it used to be, with a selection not much better than a Walmart. It's been years since I bought anything there. Best Buy gets the lions share of business on that side of town.

TheOx

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'm old enough to remember when Dollywood was a little local wild-west theme park called Goldrush Junction--and when Pigeon Forge was actually distinct from Gatlinburg--and when the Chapman Highway was lined with flea markets with good 78 huntin'. Been a long time since I've lived in Knoxville, but that's where I grew up, and I still go there occasionally to visit family. A question: do any of the stores mentioned so far have a decent selection of classical?

13. child of nature

It's great to see so many native East Tennesseans here! :thumbsup:

MikeInFla likes this.
  14. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Isn't it?

Thanks everyone for the info, I'm in Knoxv about 4 times a year, but usually don't have time for music shopping. Now if I do, I'll know where to go.

So any food recommendations? really casual stuff like bbq, sandwiches, especially in the general area around west town?

MikeInFla likes this.
  15. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

I went to the park later when it was Silver Dollar City. A few years later Dolly changed it all. I'm the only person in the state who hasn't been to Dollywood. :wave:

The only place that might have some classical would be Jay's booth at the Book Eddy and I'm not sure about that. The stores don't carry any because it doesn't sell. I don't see 78s anywhere anymore around town.

TheOx

16. Jack

Disc Exchange was excellent! Lots of new vinyl(picked up Lucinda's 'West' for $13, and a used Stones 'Flowers' in mono for $4.) Lots of used cd's and a lot of 'trinkets and toys' like Newbury Comics carries now. Beatles mugs for $6 and incense, stickers, Burt's Bees skin creams etc etc. Worth a visit!

17. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

It's been over 2 years since there was any activity on this thread, so I thought I'd revive it.

How many Knoxville area members remember Lyn's Disc & DAT? I remember going in there for the first time ~1991. This was the first time I'd ever seen a Bear Family box set. I saw the Jerry Lee Lewis Sun box and was mesmerized. I've spent hours in that store, and Lyn knew his stuff. Hated to see it move, then close down. Clean, well organized, and very well lit.....lots of floor space also.

Also, when is the bridge work going to start on Chapman highway? I've heard that this may put he Disc Exchange in a bad predicament. Any news Rachel?

MikeInFla likes this.
  18. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I remember Lyn's Disc & Dat. Liked the name of the store, but only got a few things there as I thought the prices were high.

Please post about the bridge work as I would avoid going there due to time problems. Thanks.

19. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

This thread hasn't been bumped in a while. Gonna be Knoxville for Big Ears at the end of this month. What record stores should I hit up?

20. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Disc Exchange still remains on Chapman Highway. Bridge work is done so no longer an issue.

McKay's Used CDs on Papermill Drive probably has the cheapest and biggest selection. They sometimes have a few gems that they fail to realize may be valuable.

Basement/Lost & Found may still be around in new places but I have not been there in a long time.

21. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

When I first moved to Knoxville in the early 1990s, I would go to Lynn's all the time. They were high but had some great imports. I remember getting Elton John "The Fox" Rocket West Germany CD there back before that was even available in the U.S.

MikeInFla likes this.
  22. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I'll second TONYC's recommendations, and add a bit. McKay's inventory has really grown. I'min the area once every 2-3 months, and love to go visit their "VERY SCRATCHED" section. This is at the top of the stairs. I've found some great cds in there, and they are all .99. They have VS written on the disc, but they are guaranteed to play.

Disc Exchange is always great....huge store.

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Lynn Stinnett, who owned Lynn's Disc & Dat was a great friend of mine. Regrettably, the shop is defunct. Cat's also is defunct. I live near TonyC most of the week. So here is modernized guide to Knoxville, Tennessee vinyl tourism.

Disc Exchange is excellent for CD and for new vinyl. On Chapman Highway.
    Raven Records & Rarities is on Central Avenue in Happy Holler. Excellent vinyl selection new and used. Priced fairly. Graded well. Jay Nations and partner Jack Stiles are superb friends of mine.
    Lost & Found Records is on Broadway. Excellent selection of new and used vinyl, CD, and cassettes. Has some reconditioned hi fi gear also. Mike and Maria Armstrong are superb people and friends. Nathan Moses also works there and a friend of mine.
    Wild Honey Records is near Sequoyah Hills and another great place to find vinyl.
    On Chapman Highway a little further from the Disc Exchange is South Knoxville Antiques Mall who has vinyl. And usually reasonable priced. You can find good things there but takes more digging.

So, enjoy. Maybe we will run into each other. If you see a gimpy dude crate digging, it likely is McLover in full repose.

MikeInFla and 762rob like this.
  25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And once more, I am happy to assist all East TN crate diggers. PM me if you are near, I am willing to meet you and show you the sights. I enjoy meeting all Forumites

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.