CD player recommendation?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Detroiter in the South, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

US DADC stamper
    Kansas (2) - Point Of Know Return
    Here's the peaks-
    DR12 -1.37 dB -16.93 dB 3:14 01-Point Of Know Return
    DR12 -2.54 dB -17.33 dB 3:51 02-Paradox
    DR12 -2.88 dB -16.92 dB 2:04 03-The Spider
    DR12 -0.74 dB -15.70 dB 4:39 04-Portrait (He Knew)
    DR12 -1.69 dB -17.61 dB 6:32 05-Closet Chronicles
    DR12 -0.98 dB -15.46 dB 4:24 06-Lightning's Hand
    DR13 -4.54 dB -21.14 dB 3:29 07-Dust In The Wind
    DR12 -1.74 dB -16.31 dB 4:19 08-Sparks Of The Tempest
    DR12 -1.63 dB -17.36 dB 4:40 09-Nobody's Home
    DR13 -0.01 dB -15.61 dB 7:09 10-Hopelessly Human

head_unit likes this.
  2. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I hate correcting people but Thomas Edison did not invent the CD player. As everyone knows, it was Benjamin Franklin.

warp2600 and Bingo Bongo like this.
  3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Blu ray players are pretty cheap these days. Better quality than a used CD player, with the added bonus for blu ray music.

head_unit and fogalu like this.
  4. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Thought it was Al Gore? Oh...that was the Internet, sorry.

5. Detroiter in the South

Detroiter in the South Forum Resident Thread Starter

A blue ray or DVD player- do those have any consideration for the vibrational noise that can enter with the sound waves produced by the chassis like more dedicated cd music players seem to?

6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah, I think Al Gore had something to do with the design as well, back when he was inventing the Internet...
    ...I don't know if that TEAC is the most hi-fi CD player, but they've sure enjoyed the heck out of it. The husband wanted to get new speakers but had NO idea what he wanted so I modified his existing oldies. He was so happy, he won't sell them!

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Brother_Rael likes this.
  7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Something built like a tank like my buddy's Oppo does. Mostly a matter of price point. You can just coat the inside with peanut butter to absorb vibration. Then if COVID creates food shortages you can lick the peanut butter back out.

8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I've seen that but I forget-how do you get the numbers? And, can one analyze the stream from Apple Music or Spotify etc? THAT would be very interesting. Sometimes that stuff sounds better to me. I'd also like to analyze my Death Magnetic disc versus the Guitar Hero rip of that...

c-eling likes this.
  9. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

(Gloom...) Inexpensive blu-ray and dvd players cannot be connected to a standalone stereo rig (e.g., receiver + 2 speakers) in order to play CDs only. I just have a 2-channel setup, no TV, no streaming video, etc.

10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Get a slightly older player, like a Sony BDP-S370, that has RCA inputs and you can. I had that model and used it with a Firestone Audio Spitfire II DAC in an earlier 2-channel only setup. Worked a treat.

cdgenarian likes this.
  11. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Great, thanks!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I have no clue on streaming mastering's Head, but i'd think because of licensing, if the label itself did a remaster, not a third party or such that would be used. I use a plugin for foobar for the scan :)
    Looking here, sure enough- your ears weren't deceiving you-
    Album list - Dynamic Range Database

13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah, those remasterings can (sometimes) have the good point of an improved analog playback into a better A/D than back in the day...but the Achilles Heels of maybe the tape is older and worn, and they Loudness War it. I wonder if 1986 and 1988 are the same mastering just issued by different labels...and I always wonder with these what Spotify or Apple are using.

c-eling likes this.
  14. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Not quite sure that that necessarily stacks up....

15. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Bottom line for the OP...save up $300! :righton: You won't regret it. :targettiphat:

16. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Rotel CD player with a Monarchy 22 DAC was my mainstay for many years. Still worthy for good sound. Find a player with a good transport and a cheap used DAC.

17. Detroiter in the South

Detroiter in the South Forum Resident Thread Starter

If I were to shoot for a $500 CD player, would it be a waste of money? A little less than half my collection is CDs (about 180 of them). And with record prices continuing to climb and CDs crashing, I’m wondering if now is the time to grab more, as people keep saying there is little difference when all things are equal....

18. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

100 can get you a cheap DVDP that can sound good for a lot of time, if you're on a budget. My wife bought one to hook up to her Aiwa mini-system and is happy as a clam, but since you're an audiophile :

a) buy new
    b) spend 300 bucks or more

c) Yamaha CD-S300

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Bingo Bongo and Glmoneydawg like this.
  19. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

So it wasn't Tesla?? :(

fogalu and The Pinhead like this.
  20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Current CDPs have hideous transports that last a few days after the warraty has expired, if you're lucky. Others are finnicky as to what CD they are willing to play. Others skip like a kangaroo on acid. The Yamaha has a reliable transport and sounds ace. Not the same can be said of other brands in the 150-500 bucks range.

21. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

If you are trying to decide between a few units, and all things being equal EXCEPT one has a digital out, get that one. You might want to expand your system one day and add a better DAC than the one in a non-TOTL CD player.

22. Glmoneydawg

You can't use kangaroos in your posts bud....no other country on the planet has wildlife messed up enough to understand the whacked out creatures you have there....oh wait...was that a waleroo? Or a buramandi?

The Pinhead likes this.
  23. Glmoneydawg

Don't even get me started on the platypus...jesus h ..what the hell is that thing...duck?beaver?

24. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

If you go with a CD playing device that only outputs HDMI - then get a Playstation 4. Things are built for kids who bash these things and they hold up. Then at least it will play CD, DVD, BluRay and of course video games. You can buy a proper remote control for it as well. I have found the PS4 to be durable. It would be interesting to hear it with RCA outputs instead of having to run through a HDMI capable receiver but it's worth looking at - especially when people start trading them all in for a PS5. Probably pick up used PS4 for $150.

cdgenarian likes this.
  25. thaor

thaor New Member

I work in a dirty, noisy, machinery-filled environment and needed a small, lightweight unit to play CD's with acceptable sound. This one is perfect. It plays excellent quality Jensen speaker sound without the amplified, artificially boosted "super bass" that everyone seems to want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.