CD sound improvers--do they work?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike Dow, Feb 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

The new Music Direct catalog features several items touted to improve the sound of our cee dees. One of the items featured is called Audio Prism CD
    Spotlight--essentially the green pen. They claim that it will improved definition and clarity. Also featured: The blacklight CD mat ("increases the resolution of every disc") These things are fairly cheap and, considering that this is generally a high end music and supply catalog, I wonder if they really stand by them or are just adding them to inventory hoping to unload them. Has anyone had any experience with this stuff that can vouch for the validity of some of the claims here? There is an entire page of stuff designed to make our discs sound better. Thanks!

2. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

HI, Strange.

I once bought a bulk tape eraser from Radio Shack and was convinced it sonically improved my cd's. It looks like a small iron and runs on 110 AC. I used to pass it over the non-label side of the disc once or twice and......wow....or at least I used to think "wow".

I haven't used it in awhile, but I was sure the cd's were less bright and more listenable after the treatment. I think it cost about $40.00 or so. There was an article on it in either Stereophile or Listener back in the mid-late nineties.

I have never tried the pen, thinking that was too funky, and own a mat that I don't think does anything. At least the magnetic eraser made a wee bit o sense!! We really are all crazy.

Bill

3. John

John Senior Member

Hi Strange- I used the pen along time ago and still have some discs that have been "penned". I thought it was a mixed bag. On some CD's I liked it some I didnt. Basically I found that it dulled the highs slightly and sometimes improved the bid bass. So, I you have a really glary CD that you consider a total loss Pen it baby! Since then I have found two tweaks that I consider essential to playing the little silver devils, and render the pen obsolete.

!. Optrix- The CD cleaning spray. Dramatically reduces digital fatigue. Noticable even on a cheap computer sub/ satellite set up.

2. The Bengamin bulk tape eraser (the model that goes for about $45)
    Lowers noise floor and reduces that "white hashy digital junk". The more resolution and better dialed in your system is the bigger the results will be with this bad boy. I dont recommend the $80 version. Some people love it. When I did the A/B it further cleaned things up at the expense of musicality. Thats where I draw the line, but thats a personal thing.

Happy Listening
    John

4. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I'll stand by optrix.

Although honestly I can't hear the difference in sound when I use it on a good CD, it has fixed skips and gotten others to play that never would before. Amazing stuff.

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Some new cd's seam to benefit from just a cleaning to remove the release compounds using standard cd cleaner. I have never used Optrix. Are you saying this changes the sound on a disc that has previously been cleaned.

6. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

They claim it does.

"...chemically eliminates static electricity build-up and coats the CD playing surface to reduce stray reflections."

I only use it on problem CDs and it does make a difference. On a good CD I can't tell.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

8. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll bet none of this stff works.
    It makes me smile though...

10. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

General comment: if you haven't tried a particular tweak, please refrain from making comments like "can't work, scientific nonsense, etc etc". If youv'e tried it, then absolutely feel free to chime in.

HZ

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This what I believe. I did try using a Zerostat gun on a cee dee once. No differrence.

12. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

13. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

As a die-hard collector I am firmly opposed to people doing ANYTHING to a disc, jacket, booklet, insert, etc. that changes its condition (labels, name tags, bends, cartoon characters, BB holes, or what have you) so I am TOTALY OPPOSED to ANY tweak that ALTERS THE CONDITION OF THE DISC, and I believe Audio Prism CD Spotlight is one of the worst offenders. I personally would NEVER apply green ink to a disc, even if it made the disc sound like GOD was singing and playing all the instruments.

Before you mark your copy of 24 Karat Hits or Ringo with a marker or a tweak pen, consider this:

Once you do it is no longer MINT. Even if YOU don't care about value, think of the poor fanatic collector holding that disc 50 years from now wondering how ANYONE could have been insane enough to put green ink around an otherwise prisine example of a rare whatever.

As for other tweaks, some people claim they work wonders and some people say they are voodoo BS. I am to lazy to try any of them, but I have nothing against most tweaks, per se, or the idea of tweaks in general. I don't think it matters if they REALLY work or not - as long as it increases the listeners enjoyment of the music it's OK with me, even if the increase is partly or purely psychological.

Most people either buy into tweaks or they don't. If you ask someone about a tweak, all you'll ever get is "I don't know" or one of two conflicting opinions:

1) This particular tweak works magic
    2) This particular tweak is a waste of money

Since many tweaks ARE fairly cheap, why don't you just try one and see what YOU think? Just stay away from green markers or anything you have to glue onto the disc.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I like tweeks that can be had for less than fifty bucks. I agree that changing the physical appearance of the disc does decrease the value of the disc.

Some cleaners I have used leave can leave a bunch of tiny scratches.

I have a tape head demagnetizer that works on cds. I used a green pen on some of my discs with some success, but I really don't bother with it any more.

15. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

I have to respectfully disagree here. I buy my CDs for the music, not as an investment nor for a collector 50 years down the line. There are people who want to buy CDs as an investment and that is fine for them, but if putting a green marker makes a CD sound better, then it's value to me as incresed regardless of any monatary considerations. Of course, I have tried the green marker thing and I can't here any difference, so this may be a mute point...:rolleyes:

Dave

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I use an Audio Prisim CD Blacklight. It doesn't damage or mark up the disc, it just fits on top of it to help block excess light.

Does it work? Can't really tell.

Why do I use it?

I don't know, but I do....

Sometimes I think it does make a difference. Other times, I don't hear a difference.

Can I talk out of both sides of my mouth at once? I guess so. :)

17. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Well, there goes MY argument... :confused:

After my experience with an Endless Summer CD, where someone stuck one of those ridiculous stabilizing rings on it, I refuse to buy *anything* that's been defaced in this manner. I now have a CD I can play in maybe one or two of my players, tops; won't work in the car, the CD changer, most of the Discman portables (no clearance)...and who's to say the added weight or the possibility of jamming won't destroy the motor in the CD players?

Oh well, the CD sucked anyway. It was that wonky Capitol version. :D

18. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Tried green pen, couldn't tell a difference.

Won't do anything to put excess weight/thickness on a disc. Intentionally making a disc out-of-spec is a bad idea IMO.

19. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

After wasting money on lots of "alchemy type tweaks" I came to the realization that it's best to concentrate on improving your equipment and getting the best sounding software available. Nothing improves a system more than a DCC remaster!:thumbsup:

20. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Hey Michael I think our avatars are should get together and party! You've got the beer and I've got the vinyl!

Attached Files:

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

There is a CD disc demagnatizer out there. I know an audiophile who swears by it. I know another audiophile who concurs. So I may try it out someday if I can find one.

Currently, I believe (pure speculation on my part!) that if the disc is used a lot or if you have a lot of static electricity in your listening room, demagnitizing the disc *could* make a difference.

I had a "green pen" MFSL CD once. Could not tell the difference with the "non green penned" version.

What we really need here folks, is a device that removes over compression and bad mastering. :sigh:

22. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Who needs one of those things John Bedini made to spin your CDs into marvelous sound?

23. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

We have got one - it's called the Jr. Tonmeister ;)

All the best - Andrew

24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:agree:

Has the board ever considered cloning the Jr. Tonmeister effect? :cool:

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

There were a couple of posts on AA in which the authors claimed that they heard an improvement when they put the CD between folds of aluminium foil and gently rubbed their hand over the surface. The idea is to remove static. I have used a Radio Shack video tape degausser and there was a small improvement. The Al-foil idea is supposedly along the same lines.

You surely could not get a cheaper tweak to try though. One would have to be careful of course - you would not want any relative motion between the disc and the foil, as the polycarbonate is very soft and may scratch.

Regards,
    Geoff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.