CD Universe: $10 off $30 via Google, expiry 10/31

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Manos, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buy.com now has $20 off $50 purchase using Google Checkout.

Chris

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Just an amazing deal.

I got one of Steve's Art Pepper SACDs, a Kinks SACD, and an RCA Living Stereo SACD for under $32 shipped. That is about the same price I would pay just for the Art Pepper SACD at retail with tax. If you can get your total right at $50 the coupon gives you almost a 40% savings, not to mention free shipping :righton:

3. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

Pretty sweet. I'm going to have to take advantage of this one. Any idea when it ends?

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I don't think they've announced an end date. I imagine it will run through this weekend, however.

This promo is a great way to pick up some Stones SACDs too :righton:

5. I have been buying things like crazy since I posted this this morning. Add just over $50 and order, then start again. Pretty ridiculous. CD Universe does have the $10 off $30 deal.

Chris

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

...must...resist.... :laugh:

Actually, I really want to take advantage of hi-rez titles with this type of promotion. However, I either have all of the SACDs/DVD-As that I need or the ones I'm interested in are not in stock, making them ineligible for the discount :shake:

7. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Unreal deal!!
    Three orders already at Buy.com including the Doors Perception box for $89. I was up until 3AM putting stuff in my cart.:righton:
    Back at it this morning....

8. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Picked up the Marley deluxes for $16 each, spare copies of Music from big pink dvd-a, green river sacd, kenny burrell's guitar forms, texas flood sacd, IICORM CD/DVD. :goodie:

9. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Is anyone else having trouble at checkout? I keep entering my Google Gmail address and password and get nowhere. It acts as though I didn't enter in any info. I didn't have any difficulty when I used Google checkout via CD Universe.

10. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Same thing..
    I could not use my Firefox browser - had to use IE.

11. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Thanks, Kayaker.

I'll try again at work tomorrow and see if I get anywhere there. If I still can't (or if the offer's expired), that's OK. Truth be told, I don't really need any of the CDs I'm trying to order (I'm up to my ears in stuff I already have that I need to listen to more often). But it's hard to resist a "$20 off a $50 purchase" deal.

12. The Buy.com Google Checkout $20 off still works. I am getting a lot of my Christmas shopping done in $50 increments, but every now and then I need an SACD to get just over $50. This deal really is cool. My son's birthday was covered and a ton of grandchildren Christmas gifts in addition to all of the music. Beatles "Love" CD/DVD-A works out to $12 if you include it in a $50 purchase.

Chris

13. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I find when I mix anothing other than a CD or DVD in a buy.com order the free shipping option goes away in google checkout... :confused:

14. Starbucks is doing the same thing. Pretty expensive coffee even after the $20 discount, but that is what my girlfriend likes. A great thing about the Google Checkout, it has a summary of all of your purchases and status of each. I have saved the Google Checkout site which shows all stores accepting Google Checkout.

Yes the Buy.com free shipping only works for music as far as items I have ordered, but the shipping charge for other items is comparable to most other online stores.

Chris

15. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I've gotten five packages from Buy.Com already. Excellent packaging. Very quick ship. I'm VERY happy.... Thanks for the tip!

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Still waiting for mine :sigh:

Actually, I've already noticed 1-2 days delays in both UPS and USPS due to holiday volume. But, I can have additional patience based on the amazing deals I was able to get via google checkout ;)

17. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I ordered 2 Telarc disks from CDU and found the Google Checkout for $10 bux off. I figured this expired already.

Weird thing is though- my CDU invoice showed full price, but my Google invoice shows $10 off. I emailed CDU, and they said the discount is from Google. Guess I am still a bit confused how this gets paid.

Chris

18. It is a promotion intended to get people to start using Google Checkout. Google or the partnership or company that owns this service is paying at least a portion of the $10 on your behalf. I am not sure if Google Checkout is wholly owned by Google. It is working, I intend to continue to use Google Checkout, it simplifies things for me, but I don't have a clue how Google will recoup the enormous startup cost associated with this promotion.

Chris

19. aswyth

aswyth Forum Resident

Google owns Google Checkout (GC). The deal is that GC would like to be *every* online retailer's method for checking out when making a purchase.

The advantage to the retailer is that they don't have to maintain any sort of software for the checkout procedure (eventually, that is - the theory being that once GC become nearly ubiquitous, retailers can offer it exclusively), nor worry about information theft (they don't see the credit card info at all.) So a lot of work and maintenance for the retailer is gone.

The advantage for the consumer is ease of use and added security for one's personal info.

What does GC get out of it? Well, retailers are charged a certain percentage of sales each time a credit card is processed - this is taken out of the charge. For the retailer, this is no change - it'll just be GC getting the money instead. But for GC, this will be the equivalent of being the world's largest retailer. It can negotiate better deals for itself with card companies, and the remainder is profit. We're talking gargantuan sums of money here, ultimately - even if it's just a fraction of 1% on each sale!

While living in Budapest recently, I had a short-term flatmate who worked for Google and told me how inexpensively Google can maintain electronic databases - way cheaper than nearly anyone else, for a number of reasons. So their overhead in maintaining and processing this info is drastically lower as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.