CDs at Starbucks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Today, I noticed a 2 CD set from Ray Charles that included "Genius Loves Company" and, I believe, a "Best of" CD. The set also include a $5.00 Ray Charles/Starbucks card good for your favorite Starbucks beverage. $30.00 though. A collector's item, you think?

Also, anyone collect those Artist's Choice CDs from Starbucks?

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I don't collect the Artist Choice CDs - I find the advertising ever so slightly misleading.

Buy the "Genius" SACD mate - I happen to be listening to it as I write.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...collectible to people who who pay up to $20.00 for a cup of coffee...just crazy...I'd call them the SUV's of Java world...gluttony.:)

4. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Maybe, but I'd rather spend $30 on "Uh-Huh!, His Greatest Hits" !

Seriously, almost anything with the words "collector's item" on it is almost guaranteed not to be - collectibles are usually diamonds in the rough that everyone else throws away or wears out!

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Speaking of cds at Starbucks, I picked up a nice one Saturday with tracks by Jerry Garcia, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Keb Mo and several other artists. I can't remember the name off hand, but it has a gorgeous version of Rainbow Connection by Sarah McLachlan. I highly recommend it.

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree.

7. Metralla

What's that song? I have all of Sarah McLachlan's stuff and love her work. Can you hum a few bars? ;)

What album is the song on (I'm terrible with song titles.)

8. Metralla

Strong opinions notwithstanding, that would be a small 'j' java.

9. BWilli

BWilli Member

Its the Kermit the Frog song!

10. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

So has anyone bought any of these? I like what I hear when I'm in Starbucks. (Yes, I go to Starbucks and still have my soul intact.)

They have an interestin Beach Boys 'diamonds-in-the-rough' compilation. Actually, it's a good collection, but if you're expecting the surf(er girl) stuff, you'll be disappointed.

11. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I don't go to Starbucks much. However one time, I was listening to the music in the store and I loved the song and bought the cd. The cd is Sweetheart - Lovesongs
    And the song is "I don't want to set the world on Fire" by Clem Snide

Anyone else heard this song or cd? The whole cd is ok...some really good stuff on it
    Aimme Mann "What the world needs now" is really good.

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yikes !! I go to StarTwoBucks quite often (it's the only coffee that I drink) and never paid that much. That sure is a latte to pay! :D

I've picked up a few of their "Hear" CDs; they are some nice compliations of AAA artists.

13. Michael

...the $20.00 thingy, I heard it on the news...I don't frequent Starbucks. :)

14. Michael

...key word, opinion...mate. :p

15. RandyHat

RandyHat Senior Member

I realize it's hip to bash Starbucks and its trendy conspicuous consumption image (though I've not seen a $20 cup of coffee at any of our local Starbucks...) Having said that I do find their approach to music packaging interesting. I've received a couple of their compilation CDs as gifts a number of years ago and found them to be quite good. Collectible? I wouldn't buy any of their CDs with the idea of it having any collectible value, but I still listen to the ones I have and am happy to have them in my collection. I would neither endorse nor condemn the music solely because it is from Starbucks. It's no different from shopping for music anywhere else. Look, listen and then decide.

I don't see anything misleading about the artist choice CDs. I think it's interesting to see the type of music that influences some artists. Recently at an Emmylou Harris concert she spent a few minutes talking about her "artist choice" Starbucks CD, and the time and effort involved in selecting the songs/artists. This is a good way to give some exposure to eclectic and obscure groups via their association with a well know artist.

Oh well, guess I'll grab my tiny cell phone, jump in my huge SUV, and head down to my local Starbucks where I will camp out and drink $20 cups of coffee all day.

Randy

16. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

How's the SOUND on these comps?

17. Michael

...perhaps you should brush up on the forum rules...

Unacceptable post content-

#13-Spelling / grammar corrections. If you feel you must correct another member, contact the person via email or though a Private Message. Note: an exception to this rule would be pointing out to someone that they have misspelled an artist's name (for example, Stevie Ray Vaughn instead of the correct Stevie Ray Vaughan); a name correction can be posted on the forum. Still - keep it polite!

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yep, that's a very good collection of exclusive tracks. Besides the Aimee Mann track, Nick Lowe version of "It's All in the Game" is only available on this CD. Also present are Rosie Thomas, Ron Sexmith, Joe Henry, others.

19. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

There was a big article on Hear Music / Starbucks and their CD sales. The Ray Charles Genius Loves Company was a big seller with them.

20. Michael

I don't know about the tiny cell?, but your on the money with the rest... :righton:

21. S. F. Mercurius

S. F. Mercurius New Member

My problem with Sckubrats isn't their sucker-born-every-minute prices (pardon me for being a Capitalist), isn't their godawful blight of a real estate footprint (Capitalism has its price) isn't their music promotions (all in all they are innovative, smarter than the average label marketing department--not trying to damn with faint praise--and bring quality music to an audience that has very few if any channels of finding out about it otherwise), nor even that they treat their employees like cattle (i bade my farewell to retail long ago... anyone who works for a corporation isn't asking for trouble, they are begging for it) no, my problem is the wretched and debased quality of that acidic swill they pretend is the sacred drug of coffee before they pollute it with heinously copious amounts of heaven-knows how adulterated dairy product of suspect origin and avalanches of wicked devil dust aka refined white sugar.

If you think any of that crap's good or good for you, well bottoms up old chap--but methinks you lack for taste of nature's true benevolence.

Organic, Fair Trade, and Shade Grown are all worthy of your investigation and do important things for good, hardworking farmers whose ways of life and life-giving agriculture are gravely imperiled by the monomegalopolistic disasters of 21st century corporate food control.

22. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Yep, I picked that one up last Valentine's Day to get the Nick Lowe track. It gave me a chance to listen to a few folks I wasn't familiar with too. I've only been in Starbucks twice - once to get this disc and once to buy a gift card for someone. I don't drink coffee so there's no reason to frequent any of the 20,000 or so Starbucks stores in the Seattle area.

23. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

My wife picked this one up and my kids, especially my almost five year-old daughter, love the version of Rainbow Connection as well as most of the other tunes on the CD.

24. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Written By Paul Williams!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.