CD's Gone By 2020?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fannymac, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Especially when they start to remove albums from the platform. While they have zillion of albums on these platforms, they do not always have complete catalog of a given artists (e.g. Brian Eno)

I am with Tidal for more than a year now and the one who enjoys it the most at home is my teenager. She doesn’t care about hifi or 63 inches tv, everything has to fit on an iphone...

I am streaming from time to time but far better enjoy spinning vinyl and cd. IMO, streaming is the new radio. Great way to sample and discover music. That’s all.

2. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Yeah, my parents are around your age and they don't really consume any new music. Besides my mom passively listening to pop radio. I assume that's the norm for most people over 50.

Though, I recently bought the From Elvis in Memphis CD (not new, but new to us) CD and my mom and I both love it.

3. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Vinyl is niche. It isn't niche on this forum, but in the general population it is.

Grant, Norco74 and DTK like this.
  4. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Getting rid of them or replacing them.

5. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

It's not 2000 level of niche, but it is certainly niche compared to streaming.

6. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Hopefully. Then we can stop predicting when it will happen.

7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That's the senior, music nut perspective re: streaming being comparable to radio (no offense, I fit into that group too).
    For everyone else, streaming has replaced physical media rather than radio.

The Beave likes this.
  8. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Alright, of course it depends on one's definition. What I meant by "not niche" is that it's now a given that major albums get released as LP, sometimes even when there is no CD version. Major record stores have been stocking vinyl for years now, you can even get LPs in some supermarket chains. On television when an artist presents a new album they'll show the LP, not the CD. I'm aware this is because the larger sleeve is more attractive for the camera, but still it's a phenomenon. And I'm not biased, if I buy any music it's CD or download. I own a record player only for my vintage collection.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  9. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Why did you do that? I mean both, why did you get rid of your vinyl then and why did you buy them again now. And did you own those same albums on CD in the time between?

10. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

CD's cost practically NOTHING to produce. As long as there is ANY profit to be had, they won't be going anywhere.

There are "experts" everywhere who like to predict the end of CD's, other physical media.... The END of the WORLD!

In 2014 people said Nintendo would stop making consoles and we'd see Mario and Zelda games on Sony and Microsoft platforms.
    Meanwhile, 2019 and they have one of their most successful consoles to date, AND they still have their games on physical media
    despite everyone claiming consoles would be 100% digital by now.

A lot of people also thought the vinyl resurgence would be OVER by now.

11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Vinyl was 4.3% of the market for music in the US on a revenue basis in 2018, up from 0.6% of the market in 2008, according to the RIAA. Revenue has grown from LP steadily for 10 years, but it still remains at a level of around 58% of CD revenue. All physical media combined represented about 11% of the recorded music market on a revenue basis in 2018 -- with the money from rising vinyl sales unable to offset the losses from shrinking CD sales. How we define what's niche and what's mass market I guess is open for debate. But around 90% of the money in the recorded music business in the US comes from something other than the sale of physical media.

Rodz42, Mr Bass, shaboo and 2 others like this.
  12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In the US, it was 1988 when K-Mart type of stores stopped carrying vinyl

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You forgot

8-track cartridge
    compact cassette
    DAT

Sure, there are a few hobbyists still using this stuff, but for 99% of the world, these formats are extinct.

I don't think you understand my point. The masses have accepted streaming for whatever reason, and we will pay the price when the labels go to a pay-as-you-go model, and you will no longer be able to find music they, and the artists, decide not to give us anymore. If you buy the music either on physical formats or as a download, you possess it. Then, they can't take it away on a whim leaving us with nothing.

Many average people in their 50s that I know are attending live shows more than buying CDs or streaming music. Many people of that age think you have to use a smartphone to download and stream. The millennials probably gave them that impression.

Many of us dumped our vinyl in the 80s because we were into CDs. We saw the way things were going and the labels were starting to reissue classic albums on CD. So, to many of us, the CDs sounded equal to or superior to the vinyl, and it saved space. It also gave us funds to buy more CDs.

shaboo likes this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Just to clarify, PD is "public domain." So, basically, unlicensed comps from Europe. Not a big wonder that they're operating on the cheap.

Norco74 likes this.
  15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I remember buying Paul Simon's Negotiations and Lovesongs at Tracks (formerly Record Bar). It was the only record on sale in the entire store! I think that was late '88.

16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Yet Best Buy sees fit to carry them but not CD

17. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

You are on a global music nuts forum so expect comments that reflect different perspectives and life experiences.

To your point, radio is also streamed nowadays... :D

18. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Nice to see a new topic being discussed on the board. :sigh:

Rodz42 likes this.
  19. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

Honestly with the way things are going it almost seems like CDs are being considered niche now. When I tell to people that I collect rare CDs more so than rare Vinyl they go like "oh there's a CD collecting scene?".

20. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Most everyone on this forum knows there is a CD collecting scene.

21. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

Well, I am very aware of that :D
    But people who aren't much into music or music collecting are always surprised to hear that.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah, I just think members need reminding that there's a very different and much bigger world out there once in a while (where physical media is an anachronism and streaming is IT) ;).

23. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

24. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

Music streaming is fueling vinyl's resurgence

Streaming has been blamed for killing off the CD, but industry experts agree it's helping bolster the growth and quality of another physical music format: vinyl. Since 2015, streaming income has eclipsed CD sales, and the likes of Apple Music and Spotify have become major players in the music industry. This year the Recording Industry Association of America reported that 75 percent of music revenue in the United States came from streaming services. In the past three years, vinyl sales in the US have steadily risen about $2 million annually.

Streaming accounts for 75 percent of music industry revenue in the US

The numbers also show that more people continue to join paid subscription services, with subscription rates growing by about one million per month. But while streaming revenue is still on an upward trend, the news isn't so good for digital downloads and CD sales. Digital downloads have only made up 12 percent of overall revenue so far this year, down from 19 percent last year, and CD sales saw a whopping 41 percent drop in revenue. To compare, during the same time last year, CD sales were only down three percent from the year before. Vinyl revenue, however, is up 13 percent.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

For me, it's a deal-breaker. If a CD-R is advertised and sold as a CD, it's misrepresentation in my book, and it would go back immediately.

ClassicalCD, Norco74 and Vaughan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.