CHANGESNOWBOWIE. New RSD Live CD & Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by edenofflowers, Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I get that the industry has changed, and that no one is being forced to buy anything they don’t want to. That all goes without saying.

Bowie left a substantial estate, due to good financial management in the last two decades of his life. Iman isn’t struggling to put bread on the table. Duncan has a good day job, I believe. And he had time, and the knowledge of how much time he had left, to plan things out the way he wanted them. He went out with total class.

So why has there been so much crap product issued since his death? I can’t imagine he wanted more picture discs than you could throw a Fashions set at. It must be greed on the part of his executors.

On the plus side, ChangesNowBowie is a fairly good idea to release, aside from the fact that most of us have had it in pristine quality for the last 23 years. It is a good set of performances highlighting an acoustic side of Bowie that isn’t typically associated with him. It doesn’t detract from his legacy, like the legion of picture discs and endless remixes do. I’ve always loved the soul tour, so that one is interesting too, although the sound quality may not be the best.

Like I say, I am no longer a Bowie collector, more a detached observer at this point. But I still love the man, and I don’t like to see his legacy cheapened so. It was bound to happen eventually — it always does — but so soon after his death strikes me as tasteless.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

1. It's all they've got to work with. (Well, that or bobbleheads.)

2. They do have that "50-year copyright" use-it-or-lose-it problem come home to roost now.

3. They flogged those 1999 EMIs for SOOOOO long.... I like three of the four Parlophone boxes. I like the new cheap live albums. (I can haz "Soul Tour"?????) I'm at an age where I do not think life is unfair if I can't have that ultra-rare single live track from 1978 on the B-side of a 7".

4. Showbiz rule #1: Always leave 'em wanting more. No one is served by shelves groaning with unsold copies of "Five Years" vinyl sets.

3. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident

Is the Spotify song line up anything to go by?

1 The Man Who Sold the World (ChangesNowBowie Version)
    2 Aladdin Sane (ChangesNowBowie Version)
    3 White Light/White Heat (ChangesNowBowie Version)
    4 Shopping For Girls (ChangesNowBowie Version)
    5 Lady Stardust (ChangesNowBowie Version)
    6 The Superman (ChangesNowBowie Version)
    7 Repetition (ChangesNowBowie Version)
    8 Andy Warhol (ChangesNowBowie Version)
    9 Quicksand (ChangesNowBowie Version)

These are the 1997 BBC 1 sessions apparently. Have they ever been released before?

4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

On many bootlegs but not officially.

5. FloydVivino

That'll be in June only, right?

6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

no it’s either August, September or October now. Will be confirmed on Monday.

vlad676, TonyCzar and FloydVivino like this.
  7. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

Looks like Bowie is scheduled for August 29th

JRose and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  8. It’s just the one CD that is slated for August RSD, ChangesNowBowie, or is there another CD? Somehow I seem to recall there were two.

9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I'm Only Dancing '74 tour

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. That’s right! So both of these CD’s will be out end of August same time, for RSR?

11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Yes. I just checked the RSD site and it appears they will both be released on 29th August.

Personally I am only interested in the'74 set. But what I would like to know is will the cd be available for anyone who does not partake in RSD. Will I be able to order it from Amazon or buy it in HMV?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  12. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Usually, the Bowie CD from the live RSD Vinyl Release is sold at other Music Places several months after RSD, as the past few ones from the regular April RSD would be released later that Summer-IIRC.

Bink likes this.
  13. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Yes, I have noticed that pattern but this time around it's slightly different in that the RSD release will include the cd.

croquetlawns likes this.
  14. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

I hope this gets a full release at some point in the future.

15. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I did not realize that there would also be a RSD Release for the CD. That might change any potential for a release outside of Record Stores, who participate in RSD. No idea:shrug:.

Bink likes this.
  16. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Funnily enough, I am currently listening to the recent unofficial cd of the full radio show that is the basis for the ChangesNowBowie release.

I used to have it on tape when I recorded it off the radio. Really happy that the full show is on cd. Personally I think this version makes the official release kind of redundant.

17. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

18. I hope so too or, at the very least, in sufficient quantities that keep the prices reasonable on secondary aftermarket platforms like eBay etc.

croquetlawns and Bink like this.
  19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Personally, I think with everything that's happened this year with this pandemic, I would rather they just released this stuff for everyone.

20. This!

Bink likes this.
  21. FloydVivino

Waiting for the dates when they become " On sale online from 18.00 hours August 29th. This is a Record Store Day 2020 item. It will be available to purchase from our stores from 8am on either Aug 29th, Sept 26th or Oct 24th. Remaining stock will be available to purchase from this page at 18.00 on those respective dates." Anyone has a copy of both CD and LP able to say what sound"

Has this been available on previous dates? Does anyone have the CD and LP able to tell which one is better sounding and packaging?

22. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

No. As it states, it will only become available from 29 August. So no one knows about the sound and the packaging yet.

23. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

It is currently available on streaming services, but the CD and LP are not available until RSD in August.

24. FloydVivino

Got it! Thanks (itching!)

25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Lots of pictures of these on FB now as stores are starting to get their stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.