Charity (thrift) shop DVD hunting

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Sandra Bernhard ~ Without You I'm Nothing. signed $1

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Johnny Cash - Live at Montreux '94
    Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - 2 Disc DVD
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show (can't find a date on it, but it's loaded with special features, THX widescreen)

All $1.00 each.

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

5 DVDs for $2

Evangelion:222 (blu ray)
    Evil Dead 2 (blu ray)
    Iron Man 3 (blu ray)
    Flash Gordon (blu ray)

and a pair of suede shoes $8.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I know there's some difference in pricing due to currency conversion rates, but those are great prices for what you bought-Around here, the cheapest I've seen DVDs/Blu-Rays at a thrift store is $1.25 each, the others I go to charge $2.00 each.

Weird thing is that one of the thrift stores only charges .25c each for their used CDs (and cassettes), while they're $2.00 for the used DVDs- Odd price differential in used media to be sure.

5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Seriously, the Salvos sell Blu rays and boxsets for $5 here. The Sacred Heart is usually $2 for DVDs/Biu rays and $5 for boxsets but, allegedly, they can't sell them because of streaming so they were throwing them out for 5 for $2 for the last two weeks.

Grand_Ennui and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Series 2 of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, from a Carnforth charity shop. £1.99 for each of the four discs. I'd been thinking of getting Series 1 anyway, so this will do instead, and I think I'll save watching them for a while in case we go back into lockdown.

Dave S likes this.
  7. Grand_Ennui

The Goodwill stores used to sell single DVDs for $1.99, and season box sets usually were marked in the $3.99 range-For the last few months though, they've gone to a flat across the board price for any and all media... Where a TV season might have cost you $3.99 (or $4.99 depending on how many discs per set) in the past, it's now $1.99... Multi disc sets (DVDs and CDs) are now nicely priced, but now I haven't seen anything I'm interested in as far as TV shows go...

All of the thrifts I shop at have a pretty high turnover of DVDs, even at the $1.25 on up to $2.00 prices (depends on the store), so there's a lot of people still into buying used media and not turning to streaming for everything... Still, I wish they priced them here like what you described in your earlier post.

Mylene likes this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Yesterday I got SIX seasons of Parks and Recreation for a dollar. It must have been there for awhile because it was marked down from $2.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  9. Grand_Ennui

For that price, I'd have bought it, though I've never actually viewed an episode :)

Would have been worth the price to see if it's something I'd like.

Mylene likes this.
  10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

One of the episodes was an extra on the DVD of Bridesmaids and people have done it as their topic on Hard Quiz so I sort of knew what I was getting.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I like picking up a few seasons of a well regarded show, and then being able to watch it in my own time, commercial free and looking really good in quality.

The two shows I got recently on dvd box sets are Battlestar Galactica and Breaking Bad. When I am done with them I can give them away and not feel like I’m passing off junk. Or sell these boxes for a couple bucks each. Maybe hold on to them.

I think prices are about as low as it gets right now. And the higher quality stuff is going to go up in value once it is no longer found new. Not super high prices , but a 4-5 disc set could fetch $10 in a few years if the supply of new copies evaporates. I like to make my expenditures back and break even on my media entertainment, so I can buy more. I’ve always gone after stuff I was less likely to find common.

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It does get shown regularly on freeview. Also, being an ITV show, it's odd seeing it without ad breaks. Still, £1.99 is no money.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

My local Air Ambulance shop charges 10 for £1 on CDs/DVDs, and presumably Blu-rays if they have them. You can mix and match. Usually, it's junk, but I have found good stuff there.

14. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

The local 'Willow' charity shop is doing 50p for 10 on Cd's & DVD's! Aside from the limited edition Def Leppard CD boxset i paid £2 as 50p was taking the proverbial, quite a few Blu Rays mixed in but sadly for me at least nowt i was after.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm always looking for the great (and cult) 60s, 70s, and erly 80s films on DVD and BR in these used bins for a buck each. Love the commentaries and extras on them. Notice how slim pickins it is for those kinds of titles? I go for them because they are the ones most likely to have gotten smaller runs, and might become impossible to get later on, on disc. The later films seem more in abundance.

16. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just bought these for 50p each. Any thoughts?
    • Heat (1995)
    • Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
    • The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)
    • The Place Beyond the Pines (2012)
    • The Notebook (2004)
    • Fiddler on the Roof (1971)

Mylene and Grand_Ennui like this.
  17. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

The Italian Job, 1969 Michael Caine version, for 50p from the RSPCA shop in Chorley.

I don't have a telly anymore, so it's only DVDs or YouTube for me.

18. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Ed Wood is one of my favourite films and the only Johnny Depp film I’ve ever seen.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  19. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Have to admit I still haven’t watched it.

20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

No brainer then.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

' Heat ' is overlong and burdened with a couple of unnecessary sub-plots but what's good is very good.

MC Rag, Mylene and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  22. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I picked All The Right Stuff--I probably wouldn't have done that, but I saw an old Siskel & Ebert both praising it, and I've seen it when it came out, but forgotten most of it.

Austin Powers 3 film collection--I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, but three films for a buck was hard to pass on.

Bronson--crazy guy, great film though.

This is Spinal Tap

Mylene, Grand_Ennui and Dave S like this.
  23. Django

Django Forum Resident

It's rare I find DVDs I want in charity shops. Similar to CDs the kind of people who buy DVDs, get bored of them & dump them in a charity shop tend to but whatever the popular blockbusters are....and I'm usually not that interested in those type of films.

The last 2 films I got in a charity shop were.....Frank & some kind of monster (Metallica documentary)

24. Grand_Ennui

I haven't seen any of the films, so I can't comment on them-However, I'm mildly impressed by the price(s). :)

25. Grand_Ennui

Do yourself a favor and never watch "The Lone Ranger" with Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer-It's absolutely dreadful.