Charity (thrift) shop DVD hunting

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Dec 8, 2019.

1. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Pretty sure the not-really-Director’s Cut - the 1992 cut - is part of the 5-disc BluRay set.

2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Confirmed, it is on disc 3 :
    [​IMG]
    Disc 3 – Three Complete Archival Versions
    • '82 U.S. Theatrical version: 1 hour 57 mins
    • '82 International Theatrical version: 1 hour 58 mins
    • '92 Director's Cut: 1 hour 55 mins

Mylene likes this.
  3. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Four DVDs this morning, all £1 each.

Marvin Gaye - The Real Thing, 2-disc set
    Jack Bruce - Live At Rockpalast, 1980 & 1990
    Bryan Adam (!) - So Far So Good. It's an Asian pirate copy of So Far So Good (And More). All the lyrics appear on the screen as they're being sung, in Chinese (?) characters. Is removing the S on his surname supposed to get round copyright laws?
    Series 1 of Rising Damp. Series 2 and 3, and the film, were also on the shelf.

[​IMG]

Dave S and Mylene like this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I found an almost complete box set of 'Opry Video Classics' recently, 7 of the 8 DVDs were there. I'll be looking at that thrift again in case the one that was missing got lost in the shuffle of the stockroom and ends up out on the shelf when they stock the DVDs again.

Dave S likes this.
  5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Top Cat (complete with extras... UK issue) $1
    Where the Boys Are (US) I just bought the expanded CD of this so I'm stoked to find it $1

6. Grand_Ennui

I found that series on DVD (still sealed) a few months back, but it's the bare-bones/no extras version. I paid $1.85 (US dollars) for it.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There's commentaries on 3 episodes, 2 documentaries, storyboards, comparison between storyboards and the actual episode , art, stills, sketches and backgrounds.

You need it!!!

Eric_Generic and Grand_Ennui like this.
  8. AlmostHeavenWV

What's the title of the UK issue? When it was shown on BBC TV back in the day, it was re-titled 'Boss Cat,' because there was a cat food in the UK called Top Cat, and the BBC didn't allow advertising, hence the name change to 'Boss Cat'! Confused the heck out of me - 'Why are they singing 'Top Cat' when it's called 'Boss Cat'?

[​IMG]

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's Top Cat, and its rated U (contains mild violence) lol

All he discs say 'for rental and resale ' on them. never seen that before.

10. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Both seasons of The Monkees for $6 each at the local thrift shop last week.

11. Grand_Ennui

The sets put out by Rhino that look like little record players, or the later versions released in standard DVD packaging by (I believe their name is) Eagle Rock Entertainment?

In any case, great score. There's a used media store by me that was asking $38.00 for season two in the mini record player case...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I always wondered about that! One of my favourite cartoons as a kid. I have a DVD set, released by Warners in the same series as they did Hong Kong Phooey and Scooby Doo (oh and Wacky Races).Now I need to check the extras.

EG.

13. AlmostHeavenWV

I was very surprised to see that there were only 30 TC cartoons made. Similar to Captain Scarlet - only 32 made.

Mylene and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Just checked my copy and yep, it's got all the extras....30 episodes and all that additional stuff too!

EG.

15. Grand_Ennui

"Top Cat" only aired for one season originally, but with the continued repeats thru the years it's easy to think there were more than the 30 made.

Bob Denver ("Gilligan's Island") said that people would talk to him and say about his series that 'they must have made a couple hundred episodes' which is nowhere near the truth but he said that since it's constantly in reruns, he could see why people thought so.

AlmostHeavenWV and Eric_Generic like this.
  16. Grand_Ennui

The set I referred to finding at the thrift store is from the Hanna-Barbera "Diamond Collection" so bare bones. If I find the one with the extras, I will buy it though.

17. AlmostHeavenWV

I've never seen Gilligan's Island - we weren't allowed to watch commercial television for most of the 1960s (Victorian dad).

Mylene likes this.
  18. Grand_Ennui

It's not a bad show if you're into 'goofy/slapstick' comedy.

19. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Western (2017)

Harold and Maude (1971)

Naked (1993)

£1.99 each from Oxfam but well worth the extra money . You don’t come across these very often (if at all) in the wild .

20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

[​IMG]

Bob Dylan - Dont Look Back

2.99 in Oxfam today. I didn't realise it was a US release, but it plays on my machine (I expect it's Region 0 but it doesn't mention encoding anywhere on the cover).

Pleased to get this collectors edition as I messed up the recording of it from Sky Arts or BBC4 last year.

EG.

21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Seen this documentary a dozen times. Always an entertaining watch.
    Like the bit at the end with Dylsn and Grossman in the limo. Grossman's as high as a kite.

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I watched the first episode and it holds up pretty well. There's lots of story, cheap backgrounds and animation, music lifted from other HB shows. In other words ...everything good I remembered. The hipster cat is, like, third banana after TC and Benny the Ball, in later episodes it's Choo Choo.

AlmostHeavenWV and Eric_Generic like this.
  23. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I've somehow managed to never see it. I'd already got No Direction Home as well, so I feel a bit more Bobbified now.

EG.

24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

25. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

^ Great scores.

Mylene likes this.