Charlie Parker - The Complete Savoy 10 inch Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sneezyachew, Feb 8, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haven’t seen any discussion on this:

Coming from Concord Craft Recordings...

Charlie Parker-The Savoy 10-inch LP Collection-10 Inch Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

From the description:

Restored and remastered audio from the original 10-inch albums!

Booklet contains vintage photos, rare ephemera and new liner notes

Features guest performers Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, John Lewis, Bud Powell, and Max Roach

Craft Recordings presents The Savoy 10-Inch LP Collection, a deluxe box set including four 10-inch LPs cut from newly restored and remastered audio. The collection highlights Bird's pioneering bebop recordings for Savoy Records from 1944-1948, featuring jazz legends Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, John Lewis, Bud Powell, Max Roach and more. The package includes faithfully restored original album artwork, plus a booklet containing vintage photos, rare ephemera and new liner notes by Grammy-winning author Neil Tesser.

The 1940s saw Parker and his contemporaries introduce the world to a new sounds, Bebop, a new style of jazz that would influence music for generations. The 28 tracks that make up The Savoy 10-Inch LP Collection are some of the earliest bebop recordings. Notable tracks on the release include cuts from a November 1945 session that has been referred to as "The Greatest Jazz Session Ever." The session featured Miles Davis, Max Roach, and Curley Russell appearing as "Charlie Parker's Reboppers."

Will this be the new definitive reissue of the Savoy masters??

2. Sneezyachew

I’ll probably pick this up over The Complete Savoy & Dial as I expect it to flow much better.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

That looks very nice. But four 10'' discs for 90 bucks might be a bit too high for me.
    [​IMG]

4. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Streaming this now and think it sounds good. Anyone else checking it out? $78 on Amazon.

Crimson Witch, djost and Sneezyachew like this.
  5. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

6. I read the Art Dudley article. It provided no clarification to me. I have the Savoy vinyl box from the late 1970s. It is very good, but I do have one Japanese vinyl early 1980s copy of a Savoy lp of Charlie Parker--that one sounds great. Based on my experience, the Japanese vinyl of Parker Savoy recordings sounds awesome. I'm hesitant to pick this up based on the reviews that he gave. This is sad because Charlie Parker is my favorite jazz artist of all time. His music never gets old; in fact, his music is invigorating. I think I'll stick with the Japanese reissues.

Unless the music on this is different from the box set, I won't pick it up.

7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

These are 78s origin. I am no sure what does it mean to restore the 10 inch vinyl version.

kt66brooklyn, mr.datsun and chervokas like this.
  8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It must be this version.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  9. It's possible. The only thing that I know is that when it comes to Charlie Parker reissues, the Japanese reissues sound fantastic. I recorded a copy of Swedish Schnapps onto a Maxell XLII (not XLII-S) and it sounded like it came from the heavens when I listened to it in my car when I was stuck in Beserkeley one night. Sound made flesh--I'll never forget that night. If someone is saying that it sounds less robust than what he's accustomed to hear, I'll pass. The Japanese reissues won't let me down.

10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Currently $58 on amz but out of stock
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Z74RPVQ/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Much closer in price for me to pull the trigger. I’ve wanted Parker on vinyl for a while but those complete sets with multiple takes in a row, well id honestly prefer a complete savoy/dual masters only set

so anyone have this yet and can comment on the quality of pressing and sound? Yes I read the article but would love other opinions

11. Sneezyachew

Target has it in stock at the same price.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  12. Thanks for the tip on Target. It has the cheapest price. If anyone's on the fence about it, don't be. I bought it today. Why not? If it's a centennial reissue, I'm assuming that the people in charge give a damn about what they're doing. My question is when will Stanley Crouch ever complete his follow-up biography to Kansas City Lightning, one of the best biographies ever about a musician. If you love (or even like) Bird, you must read this biography. It's the most unusual biography ever, and it's chock loaded with all kinds of history and background information about jazz that only someone like Stanley Crouch would know. The guy is a total authority on the subject.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Radio, davetracey and UchidaT like this.
  13. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

$58 is a great price. I placed an Amazon order. I don’t mind waiting

14. guidedbyvoices

I just hope they do a Dial complete later this year too!!

kt66brooklyn and Hamhead like this.
  15. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I'm not sure if they'll top the 2000 set that included the Dial sessions, though to be fair, the EQ on that set was a bit thin and bright.

17. davetracey

davetracey Forum Resident

I think this is a beautiful release in every department. The music sounds exceptional- I have never heard it sound so vibrant and alive. The presentation is first rate too.

18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Exactly. It's not like these tracks were recorded on tape for the 10" LPs. The 10" LPs were assembled later from music that had been recorded on disc for original 78 releases. Why on earth would someone restore and remaster the material from the second gen source of 10" LP? (And honestly, I mean, I cherish and adore this music, but how many re-issues of it do we need?).

kt66brooklyn, Mark J, DTK and 2 others like this.
  19. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

20. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Thank you!

21. guidedbyvoices

I've kind of waffled on this set or the 10 LP complete savoy/dial set, which is way more than I need. But
    The sound of vinyl
    has a sale going now, 30% off site wide, plus a code for another 30pct on top, 30OFF!FALL
    Just got the 10 LP Charlie Parker Complete Savoy/Dial box for $105 shipped. I'd thought about buying that for $160-180 for months, hot damn!
    Complete Savoy Dial Recordings
    They also have the Savoy 10" set but it doesn't have the site-wide 30% taken off, so it only gets you down to $63 which is about amazon price.
    Savoy 10-Inch Lp Collection

I wanted just the masters and not the alternates, but the 10 LP set has the Groovin High/Salt Peanuts stuff, and they have it organized as masters first, then alternates, which makes it easy enough to just play the masters (about one session per side in general)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Jerry James and sharedon like this.
  22. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Thats a good price

23. MafiaHippie

MafiaHippie Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this! The code 30OFF!FALL doesn't seem to be valid. Could this be a mistype?

24. guidedbyvoices

Looks like site says there’s a new code HOLIDAY30

25. MafiaHippie

MafiaHippie Well-Known Member

The code HOLIDAY30 is for the initial 30% storewide sale. It sounded from your post, like you had a code for an "additional" 30% off...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.