Chicago area record stores past and present (with photos)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by larry333, Mar 19, 2012.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Forum Resident

I've been to Laurie's quite a few times though not in a very, very long time. Close to Old Town School of Folk Music, right? I recall stuff being overpriced, but on par with a lot of record stores I've been to - I didn't buy any vinyl then, I went mostly because they were well-stocked in the latest indie releases, and they were typically reasonably priced. Also plenty of deals on used stuff. It was cool, at least when I went.

2. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

Are you talking about the same "Laurie's". I don't think so. Today and in recent years there is "Laurie's Plant of Sound" (located near Lincoln Square), but I was referring to "Laury's Discount Records", which had about a half dozen stores around the Chicago area, but were completely bought out by Rose Records in fall 1986. Neither had anything to do with the other (note different spelling). Since you mention deals on used stuff, I strongly suspect you are referring to the latter day "Laurie's Planet of Sound", which buys and sells used records and CDs. "Laury's Discount Records" was strictly new stock product which existed only during the vinyl era ending around 1990. There was no "overpricing" per se, but as time went by Laury's tended to charge pretty close to MSRP, with discounts increasingly becoming limited to cutouts and label sponsored series like "The Nice Price". And as CDs emerged in the mid-1980s, it was always full retail for those. Even from the late-1970s, there were increasingly deals as good or better at other stores, though Laury's stores typically had the biggest selection in the suburbs, especially at the stores in Niles and Evanston. Laury's also carried a full line of imports and audiophile vinyl (such as there was during that time).

Different animals from different eras.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Forum Resident

No, we were both talking about the same place. Go back to the original post we were referring to, which was an old post, not yours:

4. weaselriot

OK, but that is not the Laury's I have been talking about in my posts about the record stores back in the vinyl era. The Laurie's Planet of Sound is still there, still near Lincoln Square as is the school of music you mentioned. And FWIW from their website, it looks like a pretty cool place even now, though living in far northern Lake County I tend to go to Exclusive Company in the south Milwaukee suburb of Greenfield. They deal in used and new records, CDs and DVD/Blu-Ray (specializing in Criterion cinema titles), a very big store with very robust selection. Half Price Books is right next door dealing in used records, CDs, DVD/Blu-Ray as well, in addition to used and new books. Then a nice big Barnes & Noble is just across the street for even more new vinyl. Easy triple play in one easy drive (99% freeway, no slow traffic, no fighting through slow urban street traffic and lights), which is hard to find these days.

With the better Chicago stores more spread apart and buried on surface streets some distance away from the expressway, it's a no-brainer for me. But I may have to check out Laurie's (yours) the next time I go to Music Direct, as it's not that far out of the way to hit both (former is near Lawrence, Music Direct further east but on Bryn Mawr).

5. weaselriot

Did you notice that on the sign pictured above FLIPSIDE is one word, but on their T-shirts and their print ads it was always two words "Flip Side". I always had to ask when writing a check.

6. bluedog76

bluedog76 New Member

7. bluedog76

bluedog76 New Member

I grew up in Mt Prospect and I remember my dad taking me to Big Apple Records on Golf Rd just east of Elmhurst in Des Plaines on Saturday afternoons. I would buy 45s of the biggest songs of the era. I would love to see pictures of that place from the late 80s.

8. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

Just remember that there are 4 record stores not too far off of the division exit going southbound on 90/94. But yes, other than those you are correct as the rest aren't freeway close

weaselriot likes this.
  9. weaselriot

I remember Big Apple and shopped there a few times myself, as it was right on the way home from work at School District 59 when I worked there 1982-1985. I picked up "Shoot Out the Lights" and "Born in the USA" there at least, and I think a couple of early R.E.M. titles. But my favorite in that general area was Laury's on Milwaukee, just north of Golf Road and Golf Mill, in Niles. Best selection, but pretty much close to full retail for most titles. Once the vinyl era ended, all of those places were gone, which mad Hip Cat Records on Dundee near Elmhurst one of my favorites.

10. Shawn

Shawn Forum Resident

I've been meaning to check out Hip Cat's new(er) location in Wilmette - anyone been there?