Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Chicago area record stores past and present (with photos)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by larry333, Mar 19, 2012.

1. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

I grew up in Whiting Indiana, just across the border from the South Side, and Hegewisch Records was my temple. For all you non-Chicagoans, that's pronounced hegg-wish. They used to sell t-shirts with a band logo on the front and the store logo on the back. I had Hegewisch t-shirts of Kiss, Peter Frampton, and Black Sabbath Vol. 4. When I was 9 years old, they opened a satellite store in Whiting and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

I moved to Lincoln Park in 1986 to go to school at DePaul and my very first day in Chicago I looked up the address of Wax Trax in the phone book and walked there. I'm pretty sure I bought No Dice by Badfinger for $7. There were so many good used record stores in that area: Dr. Wax and Second Hand Tunes on Clark St, the one next to the Metro, that other place on Clark a little north of Wrigley Field, plus countless others. I spent hours and hours sitting on dusty floors patiently flipping through 99 cent racks and finding absolute treasures.

Even today when I fly home to visit my mom I have to go into the city on a record shopping spree.

Sorry if the following stuff has been previously posted.
    Van Halen at Hegewisch Records, 1978 or so:

[​IMG]

Elton John with big pappy Hegewisch Joe (RIP):

[​IMG]

Joe with Thin Lizzy:

[​IMG]

Cheap Trick outside the Calumet City store:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

recstar24, jamesc, Gary C and 2 others like this.
  2. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

Arlington Heights near the train station? I am surprised it had to be before 1983, as I did not start commuting downtown until 1986, though I suppose it may have been during during 81 or 82 when I was testing for the bar.
    It must have been winter, because it was already dark, but I do remember cold if not snow. And there was some kind of diner/restaurant next door or close by. Does that sound right? On that one visit I purchased one Poco album (which I no longer have) and Jo Jo Gunne "Bite Down Hard" which I still do have.

My criticism, if that is what it is, is based on the fact that any used LP is worth more (and thus can be sold for more) without magic marker on both label and jacket. Now, I perfectly understand the concerns about people switching sleeves, stickers and the like. But other used record stores have long existed to this day, managing the same problem without resorting to a solution that actually degrades the product. My thought at the time was that one could just as easily write the LP titles and prices in a notebook at the counter or some other solution. But my other thought at the time was that hey, if I don't like it, get my own store.

Anyway, I didn't go back because if I wanted to buy a used LP, I wanted one without magic marker on it, and there were other options anyway.

3. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

If you haven't been here, then it's worth your time. Lots of tasty records, plenty of cds, and vintage equipment. They have a main web page, but the Facebook one is more current.

Hoarders Trading Post Main Page

Hoarders Trading Post Facebook

The owners are friendly as well.

recstar24 and jamesc like this.