Chord Mojo for Headphones & Hifi

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by crossroads69, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I am thinking about a DAC upgrade. My current hi-fi set up has the Micromega MyDAC that I purchased in 2012. It’s been my first and only DAC and so I have no comparison points. More recently, it’s been giving me bit of trouble with the right channel output.

This week I picked up the Sennheiser HD6XX headphones during BF sale at MassDrop. Now all the online reviews say that I need a good headphone amp to get best of the HD6XX & currently I have none.

That’s where the Chord Mojo came to mind. I always read glowing reviews and it’s been at top of my next DAC list. With the Mojo, I am thinking I could use it for headphones (source being my iPhone or Sony Walkman) as well as the Hi-fi (source being my HP PC). The price has currently dropped 25% and so I am getting tempted to pull the trigger!

What do you guys think?

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I was sort of interested in one until I figured out that the battery replacement costs over $200 and you have to send it back to Chord. After dealing with non-user replaceable batteries in other devices years back, not something I'm going to mess with. Besides, actual performance of this thing lags behind what else is on the market.

3. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

You might be interested in this video:

Note: I don’t have any personal opinion about the Mojo as I never heard it myself.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Best bang for buck piece of equipment I've ever bought - sounds phenomenal and reams of power too.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  5. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

I agree with @joker, best audio component I’ve ever owned, and the current price makes it a steal.

Joker to the thief likes this.
  6. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I have the same combo of DAC and headphones. Amazing. Sounds like the music is being performed in front of you

7. OG10

OG10 Active Member

I had the Chord Mojo for a couple of years. The sound is fantastic, just be mindful of the heat on the device when permanently connected to USB.
    I moved up to the Chord Qutest and don't regret that for the hifi integration. Of course it lacks the lovely headphone amp

8. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

The Mojo is terrific. I don’t think you’ll find anything that sounds as good for the current price of £299 (£100 less than I paid for mine - bah!). It works brilliantly in a home audio system and has the advantage of being portable too, should you need it. Its headphone amp is powerful enough to drive any headphone on the market. I’ve even used mine to drive my KEF LS50 loudspeakers direct, obviously not at floor-shaking volumes, but fine for late night, low level listening. The stereo image was uncannily 3D; better than anything I’ve ever heard.

9. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I recently snagged a Chord Mojo for $399 b/c my Astell & Kern SR15 DAP wasn't quite pushing my Audeze LCD-2 headphones enough. The difference is astonishing. Gobs of power and sounds phenomenal. It's crazy that something so small can impact the music so much. I'm a believer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.