Chris Rea

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by averica, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Road To Hell i like.
    On the Beach also.

2. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Apparently John Webber at Air Studios did the mastering. No info if it was AAA though...

3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

4. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

Thanks,Eric, this review is informative and interesting. I shared similar emotions about the album when it came out.

Part of it was, indeed, the identity of the artist in the public eye. He is a musician and f many sides, but record company pressure was influencing the coherence of what he put out then.

Your insights are excellent and you do write with some level of knowledge and even respect for your subject material.

Anyone interested in some fine music writing should check out Eric's blog - it's an enticing read and I am finding it engaging.

rs4951, Bobby Morrow and Eric_Generic like this.
  5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Thanks George, really appreciate the kind words :) I'm glad the reviews come across in that way!

I'll have to decide which of the three remaining albums I tackle next....

EG.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I second this. It’s a pity EG couldn’t have been employed at Smash Hits or Record Mirror in the 80s. They could have used him.:D

7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Ha, not sure my teenage self would have been so considered in my views! ;)

EG.

OptimisticGoat and Bobby Morrow like this.
  8. BryanS

BryanS Forum Resident

Seconded ( or thirded!). I really enjoy your blog EG. I bought the "One Fine Day" vinyl and I think it's actually quite good. I didn't have high hopes for it, but it's great to hear 'new' music with Chris' young voice. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it at some stage.

As for the 5 reissues, I was going to pass on these as I have most of the originals. But after reading your reviews I think I'll treat myself. You're enthusiasm is infectious. ( and anyone who has a passion for FGTH is okay by me )

Thank you

Bryan

9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Cheers Bryan! :)

I'm still undecided what to do about One Fine Day; whether to get the LP/CD bundle (even though I have little use for vinyl) or buy the CD-quality download from QoBuz and make my own art. Decisions, decisions....

EG.

10. nsm

nsm Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to listening to the LP One Fine Day, bought it on release day but have kept it as a 50th birthday present to myself, so on Thursday I'll get to hear it !
    I'm looking forward to hearing the early versions of the released songs & of course some " new" tracks. Anyone else got it & what are your thoughts, of the comments i have heard they mostly seem to agree that it was the right decision to abandon this LP & start again with Jon Kelly which resulted in the self titled LP, which I really like.

11. BryanS

BryanS Forum Resident

It might sound a bit trivial, but I reckon 'One Fine Day' on vinyl is worth the money for the sleeve art alone. It's a beautiful thing.

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Not trivial at all! :)

EG.

13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Damn, sold out on the UK Rhino store. Maybe they will get some more stock.

EG.

14. BryanS

BryanS Forum Resident

I think it was limited to 1000 copies !!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Argh, yes I have just read that. There are copies floating around on eBay where the seller's split the vinyl and CD to sell separately. We'll see!

EG.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Is this an LP or a CD?

17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Both!

It's an LP with a copy of the CD included, in a card sleeve with the same artwork.

EG.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Hope you manage to get one.

Knowing you, I’m surprised you didn’t have it when it first came out.:D

OptimisticGoat and Eric_Generic like this.
  19. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Knowing me, you should realise I am a cheapskate and £25 for one album is a lot ;)

EG.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

:laugh:

I suppose £25 isn’t that much for an LP with a CD in 2019.

21. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Your blog is excellent.
    The attention to detail with the graphics is amazing.

22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I do spend quite a bit of time on the artwork side of things. Restoring some shabby record sleeves and looking for as many variations as I can. There's also a Yugoslavian 1985 LP which uses the shot of Chris on the stool!

EG.

Bobby Morrow and Comet01 like this.
  23. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Carlox, Sander, Comet01 and 4 others like this.
  24. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

Thanks for sharing your review of Road to Hell, Erispite c.

Despite enjoying the album myself, perhaps for similar underlying reasons as you summarise, I do not play it that often perfering other Rea albums instead.

However, it is a beast of an album that brought Rea into many record collections. An art rock album cover and a monster single with a complete album version over the chart single edit.

As you point out, Auberge was a fallback and backup just in case and I can see that. I prefer it to its predecessor.

Thanks again for the reviews which I am finding educational as well as critically apprecitive of the music.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Eric_Generic likes this.