Chris Rea

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by averica, Apr 9, 2019.

1. year of the wifi

year of the wifi Forum Resident

Looking forward to this release. My favourite period of Chris' runs from Water Sign to New Light (saw him on that tour) so this sweeps up some important B's, Urban Samurai, Smile and True Love are really great songs. I think Bombollini is just the album version (and the 7" was the same!) although there was an edits on the 12" which I think I remember being a pointless fade in and outs. Smile just has one version I think so same as what appeared on the Dancing 2 cd (or one of the others!) I do hope the Smile album gets a release somewhere down the track.

George Cooke, Eric_Generic and rs4951 like this.
  2. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Cleveland Calling is now out as second “single”...

Eric_Generic and George Cooke like this.
  3. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Is it November 20 yet?

[​IMG]

Eric_Generic likes this.
  4. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I'm a casual fan and like his 80s stuff the most. I recall the first time I heard one of his albums at a friend's house. I only knew him from his hit ballad Fool (if you think it's over) and was surprised that he was a such a good guitarist, especially slide, which is my forte. I didn't know about his recent bouts of illness but was well aware that he had pancreatic cancer for quite awhile.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Carlox and Eric_Generic like this.
  5. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

“From love to love” now also available to help people through the last week of waiting.

Eric_Generic and George Cooke like this.
  6. bombardir499

bombardir499 Till Deaf Do Us Part

and now? check again

7. bombardir499

Amazon UK now delivers to Russia. I think that in the US too

8. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Picks the new set up today. No liner note essay etc although there is a reference to his debut 1974 single not being included at Chris Rea’s request...The booklet lists the tracks with a pic of the single adjacent..the discs themselves, not the picture covers .

Comet01 and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. nsm

nsm Forum Resident

Well hopefully tomorrow for my birthday I will be giving this set a good blasting, especially the vinyl LP.

10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Awful extra-thick digipak, ruined by amazon squeezing it into a thin floppy card envelope.

Should have released it in a fat jewelcase!

EG.

serj, George Cooke, Carlox and 2 others like this.
  11. opieandy

opieandy MusicIsLife

Fool if You Think It's Over is just a fantastic song. Really, really very good song that never fails to move me, though I've heard it hundreds of times. So smooth and deep and just gripping. Never tried or heard much of his other stuff, will have to do that.

sjaca and Eric_Generic like this.
  12. opieandy

opieandy MusicIsLife

Ooh, love the guitar in that!

13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Well, I've made a start on ERA 1, and the sound is as impressive as on the Deluxe reissues from last year. Halfway through the first disc and not a vinyl rip in sight. This isn't my favourite Chris phase, but a necessary one for him while he found his style and his voice. Some glimpses of the future can already be found.

EG.

14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I suppose it's symptomatic of the low cost for this set, but the rear sleeve design leaves a lot to be desired. A right old mess of ugly text all over the shop, with different versions of the same songs not clearly marked (it's all in the booklet, of course) and Diamonds randomly has its running time included.

Still, for £12 we shouldn't grumble too much.

EG.

Comet01, George Cooke and rs4951 like this.
  15. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Agreed. Even the notes inside have a random element..some tracks noted as coming from particular albums, others without similar note. All told, better to have this with flaws than not at all.

No sign of any involvement from Chris himself other than the nod toward his desire to exclude his debut single. Not even pre -recorded interviews this time around. Hopefully he is in reasonable health.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  16. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

bluemooze and Eric_Generic like this.
  17. bombardir499

I think, the first six albums will be released as three 2CD editions

18. nsm

nsm Forum Resident

Just played the vinyl, sound wise no complaints flat & quiet, however would have loved this to have been a double LP as 12 tracks out of 52 is impossible to please everyone as i'm sure we all would pick 12 different tracks. Gonna go & skip through the CD's now ( ie tracks I love or don't have on CD...mainly B-Sides ).

And yes bring on Era 2....however will that jump straight to 1991 God's Great Banana Skin as he has done 1985 - 1989 already with the individual CD's last year ?

Eric_Generic likes this.
  19. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Having heard the same excellent sound quality for these earlier tracks as the 1985-1991 sets, I'd definitely be up for the whole albums getting reissued, even if they're bundled together in pairs.

EG.

sennj and bombardir499 like this.
  20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes, hope he's doing okay and further sets will follow. I might house these discs in better packaging, with proper annotation so I know what versions/mixes are where for future reference. With so much material, I won't automatically remember which "Ace Of Hearts (Remix)" is necessarily which.

EG.

sennj and nlgbbbblth like this.
  21. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Has anyone in the US received this yet?

[​IMG]

Eric_Generic likes this.
  22. Biittner Hair Flyin'

Biittner Hair Flyin' Comfortably Dumb

I pre-ordered from DeepDiscount. Their site said its release date was 11/27, which of course is today, but I didn't receive any shipping notice.

Just checked DeepDiscount's site, and this CD set is already in BACKORDER status. Yikes. I hope that I get the set I ordered.

Comet01 likes this.
  23. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Mine hasn't even shipped from Amazon UK yet

Comet01 and Eric_Generic like this.
  24. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

!!!

What the heck. Fortunately the design, despite being a soft card fat digipak, seems to survive the Amazon (lack of) packaging test.

EG.

nlgbbbblth likes this.
  25. Biittner Hair Flyin'

Biittner Hair Flyin' Comfortably Dumb

I'm getting nervous about the fact that Deep Discount hasn't shipped the Era 1 CD set that I ordered. Its website has shown it as being on back order status for some time now, and it's now a week past the stated release date of 11/27, so I hope that they didn't oversell and will have to cancel orders, such as mine.