Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Phosphorescent Harvest

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Further, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Yeah I hear you. I dunno. I might be risk averse but I wouldn't spend another $30 w Amazon. Discogs maybe? At least you can ask questions of the seller.

Edit: didn't see the elusivedisc post. I'd go that route probably

2. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I ordered it from Amazon US over 1.5 years ago (I think) and it was the second pressing.

3. lazy blazers

lazy blazers New Member

Did you get the second pressing from them? I ordered from Elusive Disc the other day, got the first pressing ("Golden" in the deadwax instead of "Vinyl Guru") and they won't let me return it, insisting that it's the second pressing. Definitely sounds like the first pressing.

Very confused at the moment.

4. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I did get the second pressing. Doesn't seem like good customer service to refuse to allow a return.

5. lazy blazers

lazy blazers New Member

Thanks for the quick reply! They'll let me return it for store credit, but said that all they have in stock is more of what they sent me (which, based on how people have described it here, is the first pressing). Wondering if I just have a scratchy 2nd pressing, but the imprint doesn't match what other people in this thread have described.

I don't want to press the issue because honestly I'm not 100% sure what I've got, but it definitely has the same imprint as the original pressing.

6. lazy blazers

lazy blazers New Member

Okay, so I was able to check the records out after work last night and wrote down exactly what's in the deadwax for both. If anyone could tell me if I'm looking at a first pressing or maybe just a second pressing that needs a good washing I'd really appreciate it. Here's what's on the records:

Side A:
    Machine-pressed #: 116467E1/A
    Text: "A MIND BLOWN IS A MIND SHOWN...THIS IS SIDE A"

Side B:
    Machine-pressed #: 116467E2/B

Side C:
    Machine-pressed #: 116467E3/A
    Text: "A MIND BLOWN IS A MIND SHOWN...THIS IS SIDE C"
    Machine-pressed text: "GOLDEN"
    Hand-scrawled text: "SA-12 LP C"

Side D:
    Machine-pressed #: 116467E4/B
    Machine-pressed text: "GOLDEN"
    Hand-scrawled text: "SA-12 LP D"

Thanks for any help! I'm just trying to decide if I should send it back to Elusive Disc or not.

7. I think that is the 1st pressing. 2nd pressing has 'Vinyl Record Guru' in the deadwax.

lazy blazers likes this.
  8. lazy blazers

lazy blazers New Member

That's what I thought, too, but Elusive Disc says that I couldn't have gotten a first pressing because they haven't had any in stock for over a year. That's why I'm confused :)

9. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I just double checked my second press and it has :

Side A: A MIND BLOWN IS A MIND SHOWN...THIS IS SIDE A"
    Side B: Vinyl Record Guru
    Side C: A MIND BLOWN IS A MIND SHOWN...THIS IS SIDE C
    Side D: Vinyl Record Guru

Oh...and my copy did have the big CRB sticker on the shrink.

lazy blazers and macdaddysinfo like this.
  10. lazy blazers

lazy blazers New Member

Thanks, that helps a lot! I guess I somehow got stuck with a first press regardless of what Elusive Disc says and will send it back. Unless anyone else knows where a second press can be bought "for sure," I guess I'll just keep playing record roulette until I get lucky. Fingers crossed!

11. lazy blazers

lazy blazers New Member

Anybody get a copy w/o the front sticker than ended up being a first pressing? There are a few copies sans sticker on eBay for normal price and was thinking about pulling the trigger on one of those.

12. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Oh man - I had no idea about the issue with the first pressing - I bought a copy in January but haven't opened it yet - wasn't planning on it for a while as I get through a backlog of new music - but I'll open this up tomorrow and see what mine says - bought from Amazon Canada - but it was fulfilled by Rarewaves UK... Amazon has them locally now for 2x the price...

UPDATE:

Ok - 2nd pressing. I was freaked because it's well past its return date..

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Clanceman likes this.
  13. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  14. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

And now a third LP pressing. Have not added to discogs, please forgive me. Black vinyl, no 7", with sticker and download code. Sounds great! A bit dirty, but to be expected. 'GOLDEN' in deadwax with 'jj' addended on sides C/D only.

*and lord have mercy this long player is sooooo good!

15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I can also attest that the black vinyl version of this album sounds great, dead quiet. I ordered mine off of Amazon from Collectors Choice. Seems to be lots of confusion on the colored vinyl and didn’t want to risk getting a first pressing so I went with this one.

southamorican likes this.
  16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Unfortunately spoke too soon as the last song Burn Slow has some annoying crackle. I’m probably not going to return it as the rest sounds great. I’ve listened to the album around three times and it’s not one of my favorites by them. I’m hoping it will continue to grow on me with repeated listening.

17. deadbase

deadbase Forum Resident

I loved this band, but after the first two I think it went way downhill.

18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i think the last 2 and the EP are the strongest

Jam757, Erik B. and Senor Muddy like this.
  19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

1. Big Moon Ritual
    2. Magic Door
    3. Barefoot In The Head
    4. Anyway You Love
    5. Phosphorescent Harvest 7.0/10
    6. Betty’s Blends vol. 3 (this didn’t overly impress me)

Haven’t heard the rest yet, but I want to.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Ok, so Anyway You Love is seriously growing on me. Excellent album and great sounding vinyl. I've got the EP on order too. I like the average album length with this band. Old school 35 minutes or so is all you need and you don't get disinterested with a full listen. I know it seems I'm in the vast minority but the live stuff hasn't blown me away yet and I prefer many of the studio versions. I mis-spoke above, I have Betty's vol. 2 on MP3. I'm still considering Bettys Blends vol. 3 but $60 for the vinyl does seem a bit steep. $35-40 would seem more reasonable.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

I love The Phosphorescent Harvest. (Unfortunately I only have a first pressing.) It's a departure from the first two, with shorter songs and new textures, but I think it has some of the CRB's best melodies and most memorable songs. "About a Stranger," "Clear Blue Sky & the Good Doctor," and "Burn Slow" are lovely songs.

I rank them this way, with the first three being interchangeable depending on my mood:

The Phosphorescent Harvest
    Big Moon Ritual
    Barefoot in the Head
    --------
    The Magic Door
    If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home By Now
    Any Way You Love, We Know How You Feel

Betty's Blends, I rank in this order: v1, v4, v3, v2

The Try Rock & Roll EP is great, too.

Jam757 likes this.
  22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

They all have something great to offer. I'm spinning Phosphorescent again right now. It's probably moving up my list. I'll definitely check out Try Rock & Roll.

Desolation Row likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.