Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

So... basically when they cover Dylan and The Band.

I'm too lazy to look.. but I'm sure if they covered The Weight they did the same thing.

2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

That's right!
    I have that too.
    Having seen the Crowes countless times, the highlight had to be October 2005, when they had a FIVE night stand at The Fonda theater in Hollywood. Full 3-hour set each night, no opening band, and only a handful of repeated songs over all nights. I went to 4 out of five. I missed the first night, 2nd night was so amazing, I bought tix for the rest of the nights on the spot while I was there - only $30 a pop, no fee, and amazingly not sold out. Easily the best lineup/performance the Crowes ever had. Same tour as Freak n Roll, but a MUCH better show than that CD/dvd depicted. Ben Harper was a guest one night. They really should master and release that 5-night show as a box set. I have the soundboards, but a nicely mastered official release on vinyl would be amazing.

budwhite likes this.
  3. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

His book's gonna drive a bigger wedge I'm sure, so no hope

painted8 likes this.
  4. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Those were excellent. Probably the high-water mark of the last reunion before burn out set in come 2006.

5 shows with TWO long sets each night and lots of cool cover tune breakouts (Magic Bus, Cathy's Clown, Many Rivers to Cross, Saturday Nite In Oak Grove, Louisiana).

dixiedixie69, Matthew Tate and Graham like this.
  5. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

It Takes A Lot To Laugh is, I think, the only cover played by Chris, Rich and Marc individually during their respective solo endeavours ...

cable hogue and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Good knowledge!

7. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Gorman has a very mature outlook on the Crowes. I can’t wait for his book to be honest. High Water 2 and Gorman’s book are (supposedly) coming out around the same time this year. Will make for some interesting interviews.

walrus, Hep Alien, Graham and 4 others like this.
  8. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

Such a shame if this book is going to push Chris, Rich and Steve further apart, but it probably will. And it seems Steve only wrote this because he was angry at the brothers. Oh well, only time will tell.

9. Paintan88

Paintan88 Well-Known Member

I think it might help push Chris and Rich back together and push Steve away. To them, it's about them.

Sully79 and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Sorry if I’m a bit behind news here but Magpie appears to be scheduled at Bospop in the Netherlands July 12-15 according to Jambase

Robamorican and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Graham and budwhite like this.
  12. jmorton likes this.
  13. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

I love Chris Robinson. I do. Greatest frontman of the 90’s in my favorite ever group. But you read interviews with him and it makes you wonder how anyone could survive in a group with him. Lol

14. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

Vinyl_Blues, Matthew Tate and jmorton like this.
  15. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Yeah that's interesting. I seriously thought that when he didn't live on a bus he lived in the trees with owls and gnomes.

J Borland, KeninDC, TSWisla and 2 others like this.
  16. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

So Rich and Chris still don’t speak. CRB will continue, although we don’t know what they will look like in the future. Chris wasn’t exactly flattering when speaking about Adam (confirming their separation was ugly). And finally Chris is randomly a Golden State Warriors fan...which was the most perplexing part of that interview. Lol

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Efus

Efus Senior Member

That was the most surprising part of the interview for me.
    Its all pretty much the standard Robinson, "it is what it is, Im doing what I want" interview,
    but him all being into the NBA and the local franchise I would not have guessed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident Thread Starter

CR is a longtime bball head.

Although it's highly doubtful he's been a loyal Golden State fan pre-Steph Curry.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. cable hogue

Yeah, he couldn't have shown less gratitude toward Adam. Well done, CR. He sort of reminds me of Dylan in how callous he can be tossing aside band members.

Then again, I'll give Chris credit for basically plucking Adam out of obscurity.

TSWisla and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I know nothing about baseball being from the U.K. but I do know the Band Sessions boot Robinson bros argument that ends with Chris saying ‘you figure it out, I’m going to watch baseball.’

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. cable hogue

Yeah, I also think he is/was a NASCAR fan (!). Chris once guested on Steve Gorman Sports podcast and talked sports for an hour.

Matthew Tate and Efus like this.
  22. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Well in this case he's talking about basketball.
    Still, never knew about, and wouldnt have figured him for a sports guy.

Graham, TSWisla and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Some of you long time Crowes fans will remember this. MTV used sponsor “Rock and Jock” basketball games during NBA All Star Weekend. One year Gorman was in the game and while he played Chris was doing color. Lol. If anyone can find tape of that it would be YouTube gold. It was like...1992 or 93.

Efus and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Wish I could find the picture of the 95-97 era Crowes sitting at a diner counter with their backs to the camera. CR has his Mike Piazza jersey on. One of my favorite band pics.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Robinson makes his appearance around the 10 min mark for about 2 mins
    Steve Albert and Jon Stewart called the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.