Christmas 2021: This year’s Holiday music thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by domesticmachine, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

It does my heart good to see about 20 unsold Pentatonix Christmas CDs at Barnes and Noble.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Three years after the fact makes me cross my eyes.

Of course, there have been scads of "Deluxe Editions" come along lately, decades after their original release, but most recent albums that do a deluxe version of their recently-released product, will do it as an alternative to the primary release, within the sales cycle of the one they are already promoting. Why five extra tracks could not have been released as a separate EP, bewilders me. On the other hand, they worked so hard on the instrumentation, getting a product worthy of a high-fidelity experience, stretching the augmented album over more vinyl could be worth it.

guy incognito likes this.
  3. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I've been playing a few more of my favorite Christmas CD's from years past. They don't seem to be the most high profile CD's compared to some others, but I love them all!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

That Joel Paterson album just about knocked me in the floor. The first track is Les Paul reborn.

RSteven, vinnie, evillouie and 2 others like this.
  5. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum Thread Starter

Can anyone (without bothering our gracious host) please let me know what this CD is compiled from:

Bing Crosby – Bing Crosby Sings Christmas Songs (CD)

is it the 1945 10” release versions in an alternate order with selected bonus tracks? Where are the tracks that aren’t on the 10” from?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Here are the recording dates (from this old thread that was started just a few days shy of exactly sixteen years ago):
    1. White Christmas 1947
    2. Silent Night 1947
    3. It's Beginning To Look Like Christmas 1951
    4. Adestes Fideles 1942
    5. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen 1942
    6. Faith Of Our Fathers 1942
    7. I'll Be Home For Christmas 1943
    8. Christmas In Killarney 1951
    9. The First Noel 1949
    10. You're All I Want For Christmas 1949
    11. O Fir Tree Dark 1947
    12. Christmas Carols: Deck the Halls/Away in a Manger/I Saw Three Ships 1949
    13. Christmas Carols: Good King Wenceslas/We Three Kings/Angels We Have Heard on High 1949
    14. The Christmas Song 1947
    15. Christmas Greetings To Decca Employees 1940

RSteven and domesticmachine like this.
  7. domesticmachine

Much appreciated. Read through all those threads. One user on that thread posed a question that’s been on my mind while listening to this CD but SH didn’t answer it. Anyone know why the Andrew’s Sisters songs weren’t included on this CD?

I remember that "Sings Christmas Songs" came out on CD before MCA issued "Merry Christmas" (the following year???). Some of my favorite songs on "Merry Christmas" were the tracks he did with the Andrews Sisters ("Jingle Bells" & "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town"), as well as "Silver Bells" w/Carol Richards. Was there a reason why the Andrews Sisters material could not be used in your project? (I'm guessing it was contractual.) It would have been great to hear your take on those great swing arrangements!

8. domesticmachine

Picked this new Bear Family comp up and just got a chance to listen to it. What an enjoyable comp! They did a great job mixing classics and some rarities. Definitely going to seek out the others.

Here Comes Santa Claus: 29 Swinging Chestnuts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099TG4SP7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0RE84ZR4HK7QDQJWFYRX

One issue though. Track 9 ‘Mistletoe and Holly’ mentions Frank Sinatra and Bing and the liners says it’s from the 1957 ABC special Happy Holidays with Bing and Frank. They tout how incredible they sound together. I’ve listened to it 3 times now and can’t pick out Bing. Anyone else have this and can confirm I’m not crazy.

Also is this whole special available anywhere? Would love to hear it.

Greenalishi, Radio and paulmock like this.
  9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Mr. S sang that song as a solo in the TV special.

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It was released on DVD years ago. I am sure you can find it used on eBay, etc.

domesticmachine likes this.
  11. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

You are correct. I think they made a mistake with either the song selection or liner notes or both.

domesticmachine likes this.
  12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

13. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is this year's Christmas Comp, Real Cool Yule 2021, with added Xmas jingles etc. All sourced from original vinyl or CD, no YouTube conversions. Anyone who wants a listen DM me

jfmlaugh, stereoptic, Em. and 4 others like this.
  14. StacyAtlas83

StacyAtlas83 Forum Resident

December's Here by New Found Glory is one of the most original and energetic Christmas albums of 2021.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Greenalishi likes this.
  15. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

For me, this ranks right at the very top alongside Elvis, Ella Fitzgerald, Vince Guaraldi and The Ventures Christmas albums. It's simply outstanding. The big PSA here is that UMG reissued it in October 2021 on vinyl for the Blue Note Classic series. Essential.

This needs a vinyl AAA reissue / remastering:

[​IMG]

16. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Switching gears entirely to current-day, here's a new Christmas track from Duncan Laurence, winner of Eurovision 2019 for Netherlands (whose winning song Arcade took two years to work its way around the world and eventually made it to #30 in the US - I think mostly thanks to it somehow taking off on TikTok).

Anyway, this is an enjoyable track in a melodic Coldplay kind of vein, sleigh bells and all.

Duncan Laurence: Wishes Come True (2021)

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

18. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

Hello! Did you end up purchasing the 2021Charlie Brown Christmas gold vinyl edition from Target? If so, how does it sound? Thx.

19. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Not the Target pressing, but I picked up this mystery pressing at Moon Rock Records in Eugene, OR on Saturday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one has me completely baffled. Obviously, in spite of the hype sticker, it's not on "High Quality Colored Vinyl". It's as black as can be. Second, I immediately recognized the hand etched G1 in the deadwax as the code for the Columbia Records Pressing Plant in Carrolton, GA - a plant that ceased pressing vinyl in 1991. The front cover, deadwax matrices and label all match this pressing from 1988:

Vince Guaraldi Trio – A Charlie Brown Christmas (1988, Vinyl)

However, the back cover is a newer style without the CRC designation. The only other Carrollton pressing listed on Discogs is from 1982, and this one says "Mastering (1988) - George Horn. So, I have no idea when or where it was pressed, but it was sealed, is flat, well centered and clean and only $20.00. I'm 99.99% certain it wasn't pressed at GZ (everything I've gotten from them is covered with dirt and fingerprints). The quality of the pressing looks more like something from Record Industry, but neither the label nor the jacket offer any clue as to where it was pressed.

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Haven't done much Christmas listening. Played the Monkees Christmas album a few days before Nesmith died, have been afraid to play anyone else who's still with us.

Biff Jones likes this.
  21. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

This is hilarious!

22. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

Fascinating. This album has a curious history - so many reissues in so many colors. Thanks for the update!

lucan_g and MCM_Fan like this.
  23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Back in the 1990s the Asheville High Girls Choir and Madrigal Singers performed at the Community Band’s Christmas concert. They also made a professionally recorded cassette of Christmas music that was sold at their performances. It is marvelous, but also a little sad because even large schools no longer have the budget for music programs like that anymore.

24. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

And to think, before it was issued on CD in 1986 (remastered with a bonus cut in 1988), A Charlie Brown Christmas was almost impossible to find. Today, it's ubiquitous.

25. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

CD debut is a little bit of a grey area for me. King issued this in 1988 with the same title and tracks, but with four extra.

Merry Christmas, Baby (1988, CD)

Simon A likes this.