Chromecast Audio & Tidal ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cemilsolak, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cemilsolak

cemilsolak Active Member Thread Starter

Hi folks,
    So I bought a Chromecast Audio, plugged it into my Cambridge CXA80 and successfully set it up but then boom. I did not know that it is this hard to play music from my mac using chromecast audio. Of course, you can do it by using the desktop player but it doesn't let you play with the highest quality (Master) but it lets you play with the one below (hiFi).
    I saw on internet some people managed to do it by using upnp (or something like that) and I am sure somebody on this forum did the same because even from the mobile app the "master" option is not available. It is just for the macbook app which is unable to connect to the chromecast audio. I don't want to buy a USB dac or something, what is the best way to solve the issue? Thanks.

2. cemilsolak

cemilsolak Active Member Thread Starter

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I have a CCA but with a Windows 7 laptop.

As far as I've been able to find out you have to use the Google Home app on a smartphone to get to the CCA settings for "Full Dynamic Range". You can't get access to these settings on a laptop or computer; has to be a smartphone with the Home App.

Otherwise, the CCA sounds kinda dull thru a good resolving system.

4. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

Don't know how to get it working from a mac. What I do know is when using the optical output it is currently not able to play 24/96 files without dropouts.

5. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

That's not true at all, the CCA is fine playing 24/96.

500Homeruns likes this.
  6. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Yes only the Tidal application is able to play hi-res, this is a Tidal design which is very likely to be because of MQA licensing.

When you cast to a Chromecast you're not playing to the Chromecast from your device, you're instructing the Chromecast to play the stream directly, independent of the application you're controlling it from (unless you're mirroring).
    As the Chromecast is not running Tidal's software only the AAC and 16/44 FLAC sources are available to Chromecast devices.
    Qobuz is your best bet if you want lossless, high resolution playback (and without MQA).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    punkmusick likes this.
  7. tagomago

If you use the analog out it's fine, if you use the optical out there are drop outs. Many users have this issue including me.

8. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

My CCA is on the way to me and I was planning on connecting the optical out to my DAC to stream Tidal and/or Spotify. Is it not as simple as running the app on my phone, cast to CCA? I'm only trying Tidal because of the Hi-Fi stream, but it's a non-starter if I lose that ability.

9. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Not at all, my CCA is connected to my amp's DAC via toslink and plays files up to 24/96 cast from our Android phones and tablet running Blackplayer & Yatse with no issues at all.

Edit: Thing is the Chromecast Audio unlike the Chromecast, has a DAC inside that supports resolutions upto 24/96, this DAC is in use when you output via analogue.
    When you use the toslink connection the DAC is not being used for conversion as your CCA is then a transport to your external DAC. If there's stoppages only when outputting to your external DAC it's going to be a issue with the external DAC or the optical connection. You sure your external DAC supports 24/96?

Martin K likes this.
  10. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Yes it's that easy, it's just that Tidal doesn't cast the "hi-res" MQA Master releases. That's a Tidal/MQA restriction not a Chromecast issue.

500Homeruns likes this.
  11. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

You should have absolutely no problems casting from the Tidal app on your phone to the Chromecast. Just play the album, song or playlist on the app and hit the little icon (I believe it is at the bottom left) on the screen. Then choose your Chromecast.

12. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Forgive my format ignorance, but what is the difference between Tidal Hi-Fi and MQA Master?

At my age it's no wonder I gravitate to vinyl.

Wes_in_va likes this.
  13. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Oh boy, hang on!

14. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

I have no problems streaming "hifi" level to my chromecast audio off tidal. The android app, however, does not do mqa. tidal claims to be working on making the app mqa able.

15. Stromung

Stromung Well-Known Member

Instead of streaming , how bout playing it from external database

16. tagomago

See, I know for sure it's the Chromecast Audio that is causing this issue. Many users have this as is proven by this thread:
    Chromecast Audio - Stutter at 96Khz on 1.32.124602 - Chromecast Help

17. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

OK you may be having this issue but have you investigated other possibilities? I get no such issues and my CCA is on fw 1.36.139856.
    So out of curiosity I'm currently casting YOB's latest album in 24/96 FLAC stored on my Samsung S9 to my CCA (outputting to toslink) on 5GHz WiFi and it's been fine for the past ~30 minutes, gapless playback across tracks and all. I'd post screenshots if I knew how.

It's a bit of a fringe case for me to be honest as I have a dedicated DAP for playing my digital library stored on a server/NAS but the CCA's a very handy device, especially for Spotify, radio, my missus' meditation app and for continuing my mobile listening when I get home.

Back to the OPs post though, Tidal doesn't cast hi-res as Tidal doesn't support it, either in-app or from a browser. Tidal's to blame for that though, it's not a CCA limitation.

18. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Hi-Fi is limited to CD quality audio.

Master uses MQA encoding to deliver better than CD quality. The TIDAL desktop app is able to do the first MQA unrolling step, generating a 24/96 stream. A setting in TIDAL can turn off this first unrolling, and send the encoded MQA stream to an external MQA-equipped DAC for full MQA decoding (meaning higher than 96 kHz audio, if such masters are being streamed).

However, MQA is a highly controversial subject, and there are many other threads in the Hardware Forum on that topic, so best to look there for the pros/cons.

20. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

21. tagomago

I don't know. I don't use it anymore. Probably you can just wait for a firmware upgrade to solve this issue.

Johnny Wong likes this.
  22. 500Homeruns

23. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Being able to decode MQA in the Tidal app doesn't mean it will be able to cast MQA. MQA is a proprietary, lossy codec which is not supported by many devices.
    Yet it doesn't mean you can't cast high resolution audio to the Chromecast Audio. It'd be no problem if you were using Qobuz for example as Qobuz provides high-res stteaming in FLAC, a proper lossless and open format.

24. james

james Summon The Queen

Just ordered a Chromecast audio (15 bucks right now) to try as a Roon endpoint. Thanks for the thread!

25. 500Homeruns

I am going to try Qobuz when it becomes available in the US. Does Qobuz cast to Chromecast?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.