Cinemark's Bag Policy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SBurke, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

She's not into opera at all, and it's a measure of how compelling the documentary is that she saw it twice.

I'll let Vickie know. She's convinced to nobody actually reads her tweets.

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

That's Golden Goo...also suitable for use as synthetic motor oil

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I think there is a huge markup on soft drinks. As a kid, I used to work a concession stand at our annual church festival. This was in the 1960's and we would sell a cup of Coke for 10 cents. The adult running the operation told us that our cost was 1 cent (I don't know if the cost of the cup was included in that), so we made about 8 or 9 cents on each order. Now surely the cost of Coke has increased over the years, but with the prices they are charging at the movies for soft drinks, they are making a lot of money on soft drinks.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Oh, I know that beverages/popcorn are nearly pure profit.

I remember a long time ago, the WashPost Magazine had a feature article about a "day in the life" of a fast food manager.

At one point, the manager placated a whiny customer with a free soft drink. When the reporter asked about this, the manager said something like "that costs us 5 cents and it makes a customer happy".

I still think it grinds gears when customers ask for water cups and use them for pop. Most places have clear plastic cups to discourage this practice - Chipotle is one of the few that offers a paper cup.

I'm guessing that's because they like to put forward an "eco-friendly" image and they fear they'll look bad if they use plastic cups, but it's still unusual. I can't think of any other fast food chain that doesn't give you a clear plastic cup - clearly aimed at discouraging "pop stealing"...

5. Oatsdad

I'd be curious to know how the prices of fountain beverages have changed at the wholesale level. In general, retail prices have shot up, but you also have places like McDonald's which (I think) have $1 fountain drinks.

Prices for multi-pack cans haven't changed a lot for decades. I remember when I went to college in 1985, a good price for a 24-pack of Coke was $5.

Fast-forward to 2019, and that's still a good price. Sales mean you can often get 12-packs of Coke, Pepsi or whatever for $2-$2.50.

Now you certainly pay more if you go "individual" - if you grab a 20-ounce Coke at the Safeway register, it's gonna be $2+, which is clearly way more than it was in 1985.

And "regular prices" for multi-packs are higher, too.

But with sales, it's 1985 all over again! :D

dewey02 likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

"... smothered in delicious yellow chemical sludge..."

PHILLYQ and dewey02 like this.
  7. The Wanderer

12 pack Coke cans on sale now $ 3-4 - $2 now never, $2.50 possible but almost never. Normal retail now $5+/-

8. Oatsdad

That might be true in NYC, but here in the DC area, $2.50/12-pack is fairly common as a sale.

$2/12-pack occurs less frequently but it's not uncommon.

Average sale price is about $3.00-$3.50/12-pack, with the lower prices occurring mainly during "pop-centric" times of year like summer holidays...

dewey02 likes this.
  9. The Wanderer

New York City, New Jersey, Long Island - Shoprite, Giant, Stop & Shop, Wegman's, Acme, Walmart and Target - all over $4 - 12/pack cans.

I was surprised to see some now $5+ - solution home brewed tea.

10. Oatsdad

Didn't I already acknowledge that prices in your area might be different than prices in mine? :confused:

showtaper likes this.
  11. marka

marka Forum Resident

I “liked” one of her posts about the movie and I think retweeted from one of my Twitter accounts.

Not a big opera fan either.

We tried to see it the other night, unfortunately, we couldn’t find it playing.

(Sorry for the slightly OT posts on this, everyone)

Chris DeVoe and showtaper like this.
  12. The Wanderer

Calm down: all information has, minimally, varying levels of value and providing knowledge-sharing specificity and elaboration is not disagreement.

I simply widened my original comment to show how widespread this sharply rising price-point has become.

13. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

This! We go to the movies every Tuesday and pay 12 bucks for two tickets but we also have no cable or streaming packages. I know we come ahead on cable if we just did Netflix would be cheaper but tv is so fractured now if you really wanna keep up you need a few different things.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

There are only planning to fracture it even more - Disney, CBS, NBC/Universal. Make no mistake, the companies that own the cable services plan to make sure you wind up paying every bit as much as you ever did - if not more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.