"Classic Albums" DVD (Never Mind the Bullocks)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lisa, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I will definitely check this out. I always dug the compressed "rawk" sound of this album, as well as other stuff that Chris Thomas worked on around that time like the Pretenders' first few LPs and Pete Townshend's solo albums.

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I thought Steve Jones had played bass on all but the "singles" drawn from the Bollocks album, but I could be wrong. I know Sid Vicious did not play bass on the LP.

I saw the Sex Pistols in their last '70's show, Winterland in San Francisco. What a mess!

Evan

3. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Lisa, any period photos you'd care to share with us? :winkgrin:

4. dcooper

dcooper New Member

I love the classic album series. My favorites are:

Rumours - all the usual stories about the making of that album, but some great stuff with Lindsey Buckingham isolating tracks
    Aja - great comedy from Becker & Fagen as they discuss the origins of the songs
    Songs in the Key of Life - they reunited the band that recorded Sir Duke to recreate the song in the studio

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Don't forget the Making of Electric Ladyland DVD....hearing Eddie Kramer play back the isolated multitracks to Crosstown traffic and Burning of the Midnight Lamp is a mind-blowing event....

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Didn't Glen Matlock play bass on all of the bootleg "Spunk" before Sid Vicious joined the band?

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Steve Jones also played all the bass on the Never Mind The Bollocks album as well....

I love this series. The Aja episode is my favorite.

Evan

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Weren't some of the Goodman sessions released "officially". I'm thinking specifically of the "I Wanna Be Me" B-side. Those session were also the source of the only decently recorded version of "Satellite". Is the "Spunk" album more or less an expanded version of what was released on the "The Mini Album" in the 80s?

Regards,

9. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

The one on The Band is good too.

10. danstone

danstone Senior Member

In addition to what's already been pointed out about this DVD, I'm especially fond of the two live performances that are included in the extras. The footage is in amazingly good shape for being so old and it was great to get a chance to see some quality live footage of them from their heyday. Makes me wish the whole performance would get released as a DVD sometime. Also, you can clearly hear in these two clips that Sid wasn't contributing much to the live performances, although we already knew that.

11. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Steve was one of the best Punk power chorders. My personal fave being the guitarist for the Avengers, whom played before The Pistols at Winterland. Opening band was SF's punk darling The Nuns. Neither the Nuns or Avengers (my fave live punk band, whom I saw 19 times) were UP too the task of rocking Winterland.
    However, I still feel The Pistols had more stage presence than ANY band I've EVER seen.

12. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

My fave Pistol song!!!
    A GREAT anarchist anthem.

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

ED, were you at the Winterland show? I was.

I grew up in San Francisco, and saw the Nuns, Avengers, Pearl Harbour & The Explosions,etc.

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.