Classic Records QUIEX SV-P Q&A...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Todd Fredericks, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

Any thoughts on this??

Todd

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Todd,

Can you elaborate a bit?

3. Todd Fredericks

Sorry...

This is an "in-house" interview on the Classic Records site called "Colie interviews the Boss (Mike Hobson) re: QUIEX". It seems like an advertisement for their new choice in the 200g vinyl. Hobson, I presume, is making a stand against non-audiophile companies pushing confusing, bad product into the market using 180g records. I guess he's talking about Simply Vinyl and some other labels (not DCC or AP). Does this seem to be a valid argument for this new 200gm vinyl? Or is it all just hyper-bull...

Todd

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

New Classic Records formatted Lps. Now, they're going with 200g with no "groove guard" rim. Supposedly creates a flatter, better marrage bewteen the platter and the Lp.

http://www.classicrecs.com/frames/c...wsletter/newsletter/newsletter.cfm?Article=84
    Says:

"Our new profile integrates our coveted QUIEX SV super vinyl formulation and a fatter, flatter profile that mirrors the original Blue Note record profile - complete with a deep groove in the center label.

"Big deal huh? After all, it's just a heavier record with no groove guard. NOT SO! To the surprise of almost everyone, the new profile sounds dramatically better than the standard audiophile 180 gram records pressed by RTI. In blind listening tests (adjusting the VTA for the difference in thickness), an audiophile focus group, correctly identified from and preferred the 200gram QUIEX SV-P pressing to a 180gram normal profile QUIEX SV pressing. The differences, in terms of increased clarity of instruments, harmonic integrity, and spatial detail are easy to hear even with untrained ears. Much like the difference in moving to QUIEX SV, the new heavier QUIEX SV-P pressings were unanimously preferred. "

I think what Todd wants to know is, will this be a nice idea on how modern audiophile records are done. Right, Todd?

5. Todd Fredericks

Thanks, Sckott. :) Yes, I believe that's what I mean. Is this a good direction and does it have true merit?

Sorry, everyone, I'm a bit unfocused today. I feel like that character in the Woody Allen film who is out of focus...

Todd

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'll be getting the Duke Ellington Jazz Party 5-Lp Comparison package pretty soon. That's supposed to be a Quiex SV-p.

7. Todd Fredericks

I have the new Hank Mobley QUIEX SV-P and I've listened to it but I just don't know. I think the recording sounds very nice, especially the cymbals but I haven't had a chance to give it a close listen or compare it to other stuff. I just don't know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.