Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. spn

spn Forum Resident

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think it is, it has 265 disks, so it must be. I'm afraid it will be insanely expensive. I got the other Abbado DG and Decca box sets more or less when they came out, so I don't think I'm missing much. I have some of his recordings with the Orchestra Mozart and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe on separate releases as far as they're not included in his DG Symphony Edition box, so I think I'll pass on the big one.

croquetlawns and spn like this.
  3. Fredarc

Fredarc Forum Resident

spn likes this.
  4. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Have you already bought all the smaller not jacket abbado boxes? Thank you Universal!

shicorp, Joerg-Maria and spn like this.
  5. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I have 172 Abbado discs between four boxes (the three plus Chicago), so nope. I’ll buy a Bernstein box where I already have 60% (if the price is right), but Abbado, no.

6. steveoat

steveoat Forum Resident

Would anyone be interested in a Decca box set of the complete Walter Weller recordings (including the Weller Quartet)? I have the Prokofiev box that was issued many years ago, but thats all I have.

7. steveoat

steveoat Forum Resident

I wish they would have instead issued the remaining Solti recordings. However, I'm wondering if they are delaying Solti because of the upcoming Ring Remaster. I'm sure, in time, there will be a complete Solti opera recordings including the remastered Ring.

layman and croquetlawns like this.
  8. steveoat

steveoat Forum Resident

I wonder what Warner has in store for Harnoncourt, Boult, Beecham, Klemperer and Maazel? I would also love to see a complete Rostropovich: The Conductor

layman likes this.
  9. spn

spn Forum Resident

I can’t imagine what a Harnoncourt box would be like! My weird dream Warner conductor boxes are Jeffrey Tate and James Conlon, but I’m not holding my breath for either.

layman likes this.
  10. steveoat

steveoat Forum Resident

I also would like to see Tate and Conlon. With Harnoncourt, I imagine you could separate the secular and non-secular works. And, while we're on Warner, what about Beroff, Collard and Tipo? Can't figure what's going on at Warner Classics. They dovote huge remasterings to Paillard, Corboz (there will also be a second Corboz box set of more modern works) and Barbizet, yet do shoddy jobs with Previn and Muti. They seem to have a French market bias -- maybe they are their best customers? And, if so, why not issue a complete Martinon box with new masterings?

layman and spn like this.
  11. spn

spn Forum Resident

It would be lots of Abbado duplication for me, but he’s one of my favorite conductors and there is no way that I’m passing up on a complete edition of his work for Universal. I’m hoping there are some perks (Blu-rays of operas, please!), but I’ll honestly just be happy to have all of the music that we already have. But I know Abbado (in small or large doses) isn’t for everyone.

trix and Fredarc like this.
  12. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

Do you know if the recordings in the new release are also in the big box?

13. spn

spn Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure it’s the same cycle. I really wouldn’t want to dissuade anyone from buying it, either. My favorites (3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9) all fare well.

croquetlawns likes this.
  14. spn

spn Forum Resident

Gentian, trix and croquetlawns like this.
  15. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Joerg-Maria and croquetlawns like this.
  16. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

:yikes:

Yiprock Harissa likes this.
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's what I was afraid of. I know this store's prices are almost always extremely high, with few exceptions, but this is insane. I'm sure the box will be much cheaper at other stores.

Release date January 20 - for now ;)

croquetlawns likes this.
  18. trix

trix Forum Resident

I don't think the price is surprising. Not at all. Think about complete Karajan. It was a bit bigger, true, but the price on Amazon was something like 1000 euro, if I remember right. Or am I wrong? Can't remember the exact price.

19. Gentian

Gentian Forum Resident

At the time of release, it was sold for 955 euros (November 2017).
    Prices at Amazon went as low as 570 euros, with a dip at 370 euros.

zarzuela, Torran, Fredarc and 2 others like this.
  20. trix

trix Forum Resident

Yes, the problem is that you never know. You may wait for the price to drop, but sometimes the item will faster be OOP than the price will drop. Grumiaux is a case in point.

croquetlawns and Fredarc like this.
  21. Gentian

Gentian Forum Resident

22. Gentian

Gentian Forum Resident

It's the same concept as the big Karajan box: you have to take the cd's out to find the one you want to listen to...
    Lots of people didn't like that, if I remember well.

zarzuela and Runicen like this.
  23. trix

trix Forum Resident

Fortunately I am not a fan of Abbado :D

24. Fredarc

Fredarc Forum Resident

Sure, one or two marginal sellers are not enough to have a reliable indication about price at the date of release. I preordered Norrington complete Erato ( october 14th) on french Amazon as soon as it was announced at the price of 90 €. It is now 99 €, and the price by european sellers goes from 99 to 145, mostly around 110. Kroese price for Norrington is 20 % dearer than my Amazon preorder, if we apply the same proportion to the future Abbado, we could have a preorder price at around 650 €.
    I checked the prices at the date of release or preorder on FNAC or Amazon.fr for a few Universal mammoth boxes I own:
    Mozart 225 2016 (200 CD) : 335 €
    Beethoven New Complete Edition (118 CD, 2 DVD, 3 BR) : 213 €
    Bach 333 2018 (222 CD) : 433 € minus 40 € voucher.
    Solti Chicago 2017 (108 CD) : not a good example, 120 €, FNAC sales :D
    Bernstein 2018 (121 CD, 36 DVD) : 298 €
    Karajan 2017 (330 CD, 24 DVD, 2 BRA) : 710 € minus 70 € voucher.
    I did not loose any money on these, they were globally a very good investment, as Abbado complete DG recordings could be...
    I always preorder as soon as I think I could buy, and I cancel if I change my mind or find better conditions, or on FNAC a special operation " 10 € voucher every 100 € ". I'm sure there will be one during the preordering period, just before Christmas. User's tip: When FNAC proposes vouchers, Amazon.fr adapts...
    I guess I'll have to find a new loving family for Symphony and Opera Editions...But THIS box set is for me, definitively, a no- brainer.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    croquetlawns likes this.
  25. Taplow

Taplow Vezzi, lusinghe e brio

I, too, have been waiting eagerly for this. I do have some Abbado, but in the past few years have been holding off buying too much more for fear of duplication if/when UMG finally got around to putting this one together. Eagerly looking out for Amazon to indicate a price. €512 or less would be lovely :D, but €795 would also not be ridiculous.

Fredarc and croquetlawns like this.