Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. cws

cws Forum Resident

I should probably just bite the bullet. It's not a huge box set and FYE is US based, like me, so there's no international component to the transaction.

2. likes2listen2beethoven

likes2listen2beethoven Forum Resident

How about Eugene Ormandy? :)

Robur, shicorp, Rmihai0 and 4 others like this.
  3. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I would grab it if you really want it. They probably don't have many copies in stock. And I noticed since they got some hits on some boxes they raised the price since yesterday.

cws likes this.
  4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I do like many Ormandy CDs I've bought over the years, but IMO for me that box would just be too big. Similarly with Klemperer, I am a fan but those smaller black box sets and the CDs I've accumulated over the years are fine with me.

I'd be very interested in buying SACDs of my favorite performances from both of them if they were mastered exceptionally well. So far it seems like only Japan EMI is interested in SACD and many of the ones I've heard did not sound good.

Rmihai0 and cws like this.
  5. StarThrower62

I like the smaller boxes. I recently bought several of the Klempy boxes. 20 CDs and under boxes are easy to navigate.

Luisboa and cws like this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Knowing Melodiya's prices it would probably cost a fortune...

Luisboa likes this.
  7. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Well to be fair here I will follow up. After a couple of Amazon communications with wildly conflicting dates, my Bruno Walter set arrived today, double boxed and in undamaged condition. So really my only complaint would be not a great job on communication there by Az but what the hey, all good here.

BTW this thing is massive :pineapple:

arley likes this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not as massive as the recent (but now OOP) George Szell box and a few other classical mega CD boxes :)

9. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Yeah well they never did deliver my Szell box. Bastards.

Rmihai0 likes this.
  10. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

11. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

Bruno Walter set is $165 at Arkiv Music right now.

Bruno Walter | ArkivMusic

Edit: Pasting links appears to route to their homepage (annoying), but if you go to the BW performer page, you can find it there.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Mr. H likes this.
  12. Ed Casey

Ed Casey Forum Resident

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

14. Ed Casey

Ed Casey Forum Resident

Just received notice from Amazon that I should be receiving the set this Friday! I hope it will be packed well. Walter is one of my favorite conductors so I am really looking forward to hearing this.
    On a similar topic. I am thinking of purchasing the Szell-Complete Columbia set. I didn't purchase it initially since I have so many of the recordings on previously issued CDs. Is the re-mastering of this edition a major improvement or still lacking in bass?

Rmihai0 likes this.
  15. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

What's that Vintage Classic book next to the Argerich set? I can't think of anything that may be related to piano except Mann's Doctor Faustus.

16. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

There's been buzz for some time about a Barbirolli box set but nothing official. That would generate a long look from me.

hvbias likes this.
  17. Alon Wasserman

Alon Wasserman Forum Resident

bluemooze and hvbias like this.
  18. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Sad but true.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Good luck with the Szell. As far as I know it's already OOP.

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Which Szell albums/format did you have a problem with in the bass? I never compared the box against the 90s CDs, most of them are still at my parent's house.

We did a comparison with Columbia LPs (mono and stereo) against the box and even the most die hard vinyl guys in that comparison thought the big box sounded much better. The remixed CDs just sounded much closer to live music in terms of dynamics, soundstage and timbral shading/realism.

We used my NADAC as a DAC and his vinyl system is at least 5x more expensive. Here is the link where I wrote more:

Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Rmihai0, 5-String and sambamaster like this.
  22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I forgot that on Black Friday I had ordered from ebay the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt Bach cantatas box.
    I know that we never figured out exactly what are the mishaps with this set but I thought to take one for the team since it was only $53 with free shipping.

Well, the set arrived today. It is the Teldec/Das Alte Werk edition, there is no Warner Classics on the box. According to discogs this set came out in Europe in 1994, so I believe that this must be the first reissue. Also the copy that I got does not contain any booklets.
    It will take me a while to listen to all discs but I will report back as soon as I finish playing all the disc.

[​IMG]

nigels, bluemooze, zeram1 and 6 others like this.
  23. StarThrower62

60 CDs of cantatas? If you can listen to all of them you're a lot more dedicated than I am.

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

What can I say? I dig Bach :p

25. Ed Casey

Ed Casey Forum Resident

Thanks for the info.
    I have a variety of pressings - CDs from Japan, various US CDs and LPs that run the gamut from original Epic to late Great Performances.
    I find the vast majority lacking in bass and tonal richness. There are some slight improvements in the late 1960 - early 70s recordings. I’m always amazed about the difference between the Columbia recordings and the EMI recordings which are so much finer. To me it indicates that Szell may not be the culprit when it comes to Columbia’s sonic deficiencies. I’m glad to hear improvements.