Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

That's a terrific price on the Marcelle Meyer box--I have that one, and it's first rate. My general rule of thumb when considering purchases is to buy those boxes of people I love immediately when they come out. If it's something I have covered or just want to have represented, once it gets to the point each disc is $2 or below I will usually pull the trigger and buy. But when the price is less than $1 per disc . . . .

Rmihai0 and Luisboa like this.
  2. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Yes, that´s true indeed... not to mention also too few Mozart, no Wagner... no Tosca...

I guess the problem is rather the name of the collection, the usage of "Idéale" is misleading. They probably did not have (I suspect) any recordings of Traviata, Rigoletto, Tosca, Wagner, more Mozart etc, which has been select to get the "Diapason D'or" tag in the history of this award. Since this box-set has this premise/specification, they had to include rather other works which had been praised with "Diapason D'or". This is just a guess.

crispi likes this.
  3. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

You are probably right, but that absense make it even more appealing to me, since I already have enough of those operas missing here.
    This box was once at something like 25€ (ridiculously low price) on amazon france some 2 years ago and this idiot passed away that deal. What a jackass I am. :realmad: Even at 38€ its a great buy.

Rmihai0 likes this.
  4. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

I own it.
    The booklet has track listings and synopsis in French and English.
    The front of each card board sleeve is the original cover.
    The back are not original cover but instead have full artists listed and recording info at the bottom.

A great set as long as you not expect librettos.

Rmihai0 and Luisboa like this.
  5. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Unfortunately the great price is over. I missed it myself. One more regret to my collection :)

Luisboa likes this.
  6. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

You're focusing too much on the name and not enough on the actual contents of the box, which are great. This set is very much worth owning.

Rmihai0, Luisboa and DEVA like this.
  7. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

So you can like this
    https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07ZJNZYSP

Or this
    https://www.amazon.it/Violin-Concertos-Sonatas-Mischa-Elman/dp/B07FDNT6NB/

This second one is absolutely amazing!!!

8. Rmihai0

Rmihai0 Thread Starter

Absolutely the same here - is the absence that made it so appealing for me ... ! ! ! I do have plenty of Traviata, Rigoletto, Tosca, Wagner, etc. I do not need more - lol.

Luisboa likes this.
  9. Martin H

Martin H Forum Resident

I echo the enthusiasm for this. I got it a couple of years back (at an even lower price) but it's still a steal now.
    Not only some classic Verdi etc with Price, Scotto, Domingo, Caballe etc, in their prime, and other fine offerings like Abbado's Boris Godunov, but worthy recordings of works like Akhnaten, Vanessa, Tote Stadt, Donna del Lago which are much less often anthologised in bargain boxes.
    A few recordings are not typical top choices, but I've not found any duds.

Rmihai0 and Åke Bergvall like this.
  10. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

I've only got two.

How's this for a pair?

Haydn - Complete Symphonies - Adam Fischer (great name!) and the Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra

and

Blue Oyster Cult - The Columbia Years!

Love 'em Both!

HfxBob and Mr. H like this.
  11. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

This is my favorite cycle of Haydn Symphonies. If it matches well with "Blue Öyster Cult" I´m not able to tell you :)

12. Rmihai0

Rmihai0 Thread Starter

I have that Haydn set too and love it !!!

Fischman likes this.
  13. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

I have it as part of the Brilliant Classics Haydn Edition.
    I like a large part of that cycle too.
    I am eagerly praying Decca will remaster Dorati and release it in BluRay Audio format like their sister company DG Archiv did with Richter's Bach cantatas.

Rmihai0 and kohoutek like this.
  14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

15. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

I have Haydn/Dorati cycle as part of a gorgeus-looking 50-CD box-set which Deutsche Grammophon released in 2010 (there is a hologram seal sticker with "Universal Music Italy" written on it) and when I bought it in 2011 it was available only on Amazon Italy.

I don´t know which remaster they used, but anyway I always like the way the first CD release from 1996 sounds, than no problem for me.

The box-set also had the complete cycle of symphonies of Mozart with Neville Marriner and ASMF, and the Karajan/Beethoven 1963 cycle.

There was a second vol of this box-set with symphonies from Schubert to Rachmaninov which I did not buy.

This is how the box-set mentioned above looked like:

It can still be found here by the way: https://amzn.to/2NY2QFx

[​IMG]

And the other which I did not buy was this one: https://amzn.to/2uyma5e

[​IMG]

regards,
    DB

Rmihai0 and Salvatore Massaro like this.
  16. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

Torran likes this.
  17. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Despite the fact that a few months ago I bought the scribendum box The art of casadesus for 48 euro, I could not fail to buy it at this very advantageous price, 127 euro including shipping to Italy.
    As others have pointed out, the Sony boxes are real artworks regardless of the value of the recordings...

Rmihai0 likes this.
  18. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

I know that the Casadesus Sony box contains more recordings than the Scribendum box, and that the remastering is better. But does anyone know whether all of the content within the Scribendum box is included in the Sony box? Or are there additional recordings in the Scribendum which justify acquiring both?

The Scribendum box is available on their website for £39:
    https://www.scribendumrecordings.com/our-shop/4583959841/sc816-30cd---the-art-of-robert-casadesus-with-concerto-for-piano-no.23-in-a-major-k.488/11340706

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Rmihai0 likes this.
  19. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I love it. I'm also a huge BOC fan, and as a result of this thread I've become a Haydn aficionado. Haydn is fabulous.

Rmihai0 and Fischman like this.
  20. cws

cws Forum Resident

Do you remember that Decca centennial Rite of Spring box set from a few years ago that featured numerous versions of the Rite? It seemed like a strange release to my way of thinking, particularly as fans of particular works often collect them somewhat religiously.

Be that as it may, it caused me to consider what other works could be given this treatment. The most obvious, to my biased way of thinking, would be a box set I'm going to call: "Winterreisen"

Boxed in ice blue packaging, it would be a collection of twenty recordings of the greatest song cycle ever composed, the veritable prototype for 1970s concept album excess. Some recordings, such as Schaefer/Schneider are, it seems, OOP. Perhaps it's time to bring them in from the cold.
    I'm not sure this is the thread for such musings, but perhaps someone from one of the big labels is eyeing this thread! :wave:

Rmihai0 likes this.
  21. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

There was in fact two Rite of Spring boxes: in addition to the 20 CD Decca box there was also the slimmer, but to my mind more essential 10 CD Sony box, including not only Stravinsky's own recordings (both stereo and mono), but also some of the very earliest, like the 1929 recording by Stokowski.
    As far as Winterreise goes, a similar box is less likely for the simple reason that no one company, even Universal or Warner, is likely to have that many different recordings to offer (40 or more in the case of the Decca Rite of Spring box). I do not know the cycle's recording history well enough, and would not mind being proven wrong since I also value it highly and could imagine adding to the half a dozen recordings or so I already own.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  22. Salvatore Massaro

Salvatore Massaro Forum Resident

I worked through this point when the Sony box came out and I already had the first Scribendum box. I believe the answer is "no." The Scribendum is entirely drawn from material now controlled by Sony (at most there might be a couple of short exceptions; my memory isn't absolute). The main body of studio recordings not on the Sony and Scribendum boxes are the sides Casadesus recorded earlier in his career for Columbia in France. Those performances have just been released on three cds mastered by Mark Obert-Thorn and produced by APR. It's a very nice issue; I particularly like the Scarlatti sonatas. Casadesus re-recorded much, but not all, of this repertoire in performances that appear on the Sony box. In any event, the Scribendum issue doesn't tap the French Columbias. Overall, the sound on the Sony box is superior (I suspect that the Scribendum issue is in part "needle-drops" of Columbia lps, as well as copies of earlier Sony cds). Again, I might be overlooking some small duplication.

Jason W and Rmihai0 like this.
  23. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

Salvatore Massaro likes this.
  24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I just saw Sony is putting out a new set of the Juilliard String Quartet's cycle of Beethoven's string quartets in February as part of the Beethoven birthday celebration.

[​IMG]

25. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Now I understand why the concert n. 24 of mozart, directed by eugene bigot, seems to be missing in the Sony box. I have it as a part of casadesus portrait from membran and the sound quality is very good for a 1936 recording.