Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

Awful Robur, just awful.

Again though I think it's time to put the kibosh on pricey purchases that are going out internationally. Shipping is a mess inside and outside the country. Unless it's some price that makes it worth a gamble, there's too much risk and unreliability in shipping systems right now. Not just USPS but locally UPS is a mess with deliveries in my area. Too many packages and not enough personnel to handle it all.

I don't trust the system at all regardless of the shipper...especially with large sets that pose a challenge to be pristinely delivered, even in the best of times.

Robur and croquetlawns like this.
  2. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

Usually there's some extra-large releases in the September-November timeframe but I see nothing in the pipeline this year. UMG last three years had Mozart, then Bach, and last year Beethoven. Sony had Szell two years ago Bruno Walter last year. All sold very well, and most are sold out now. There I believe there is a market for more. Desired sets have been listed several times.

Have I missed something, or are there some extra large boxes similar to the above examples known to be lurking in the darkness awaiting an official announcement? Anyone know any industry insiders that might divulge some good news?

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm regularly checking sites for large Ormandy and Van Beinum boxes. but nothing so far...

4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Phew.. I've had some clunkers come from overseas, but never something where the shippers waged chemical warfare on the contents. Fingers crossed JPC is willing to make this right.

About the only bright spot is that the booklet and discs might be salvageable, but that box is definitely a lost cause and it's not like those types of disc sleeves shelve well.

Robur and Luisboa like this.
  5. Andy Dursin

The problem is we have no idea where the damage occurred or what shipping facility is actually to blame. There's a JFK stamp, but that doesn't mean the box itself wasn't broken en route to there. JPC ought to be putting insurance on these boxes at this point and they ultimately are responsible for delivery to the buyer -- regardless of the carrier they used, this is on them. If they don't take responsibility, you'll have to work with your credit card issuer.

There has to be a reason vendors like Amazon have totally stopped shipping internationally. It's just a matter of stressed systems being impacted with more packages than ever. It sucks, but it's likely best to enjoy what you have and keep a wish list for when things straighten out. If I'm a vendor, I'd also probably stop shipping overseas because of situations like Robur's. Wouldn't blame them at all. These sets are too expensive to end up trashed like this.

Robur and Runicen like this.
  6. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

7. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

Not quite mega, but BRO has just listed the Brilliant 15CD box of Russian Piano Concertos for US$30. A lot of rather obscure repertory which might otherwise be difficult to find. I can't report on the quality of the music, performances, or recording...
    Russian Piano Concertos – Berkshire Record Outlet

Daedalus, bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  8. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

This was me, sitting in my apartment yesterday:

[​IMG]

Today the world's a better place - thanks not in the least to seven+ hours of sleep and your kind messages. Each of you and many others in this thread have brought sanity, education and entertainment to me in this crazy year, no doubt about it. Okay, and a lighter coin purse.

@J.A.W. - DHL handed it over to customs, so somewhere between them and the customs department, things broke down. I don't expect to have the custom department do its job in the rain, nor do I believe that the USPS first trash a package and then carefully re-seal it.

@misterjones - You make a good point, and it's horrible to hear about postal abuse like this. The peculiar fact remains that the USPS' new package has a JFK stamp. Had DHL (Germany-US) and Customs (JFK) worked well and the package was trashed thereafter, why then put a JFK customs stamp on top of it? More on JPC below.

@Black Elk - Yeah, let's see our friend from Canada and his wife try for this kind of cosmetic damage. Already looking forward to the write-up. ;) Refusing the shipment could have worked, but it was delivered when I was out of the house without delivery confirmation - and I would not have seen the damage through the USPS "recovery box". Your McCartney misadventure was painful to read, really sorry that this happened to you. I'm glad that there's at least some resolution with the full download.

@Randy Lane - Here's the thing: my JPC orders of the Karajan and the Nilsson box sets made it through the heat of the pandemic just fine. The Miles Davis Columbia box took 2.5 months but arrived unharmed, too. One out of four is better than four our of four, it's just the FUBAR state the box was in that was a bit disheartening. A dented corner this isn't.

@Tom H - Aloha, this read was both amusing and gut-wrenching. Imagine that someone did relocate from one place to another and had all their livelihood inside. Not just one CD box but all, not just one book but all. Not just one set of photo prints but all. :/

@Luisboa - A crime that can not really be traced, too. At least JPC has been stellar about this, see below.

@bruckner13 - And needless, too. Can you imagine the time it must have been outside when, 20 days after customs, the box inside the plastic shrink wrap was still wet? Sure, it might have fallen off a truck or something, but this can not have happened on a public street - postal trucks are locked on the customs/post offices' staging area.

@Daedalus - For sure was a disappointment. For a moment I thought that the plastic around the box itself would have protected the inside, but you saw the photos ... Read on for the resolution.

@Andy Dursin - It's a gamble, that's for sure. The factors of a great price and an item selling out in under a year are playing a big role here for me. I sure could have these boxes delivered to my parents in Germany and pick them up at my next visit, but I'd be over my suitcases' weight allowance in no time. And I would not be able to bring any chocolate or coffee or peanut puffs with me either. And I like these! :)

@Runicen - JPC is on the case. And of course I could get the CDs out of there, deep clean them in a sink full of warm water and detergent, but then I have 109 clean, non-smelling CDs that I can put on an empty spindle from blank CDs ... ho-hum.

And now for the resolution. I emailed these photos to my point man at JPC and described what happened. I've a good rapport with him - turns out JPC is located just half an hour away from my mom's home town and the JPC crew did a company trip there once. I explicitly told him that this was not his or JPC's fault, so he should not apologise for it. And that I'd work with him to make sure that JPC as the sender will be reimbursed for it.

He asked me to check how to file a USPS report which he could attach to the report he'd get over to DHL Germany. He also asked me what we should do about the mega box - whether I'd be okay with a rebate or if he should send a replacement. To which I replied that I'd be fine with a rebate if a corner or two were damaged, but a box that's been wet for 20 days and smells the part is tough. I woke up to a shipping confirmation of a new box this morning.

Getting the USPS damage report turns out to be more tricky. Domestic destructions can be reported online, those of international shipments require one to take the damaged box to a post office where it's examined and then one is given a claim form to fill out. The only problem with that is that I threw away the box - because wet, mouldy cardboard isn't something anyone of us would keep in their home. I told my JPC contact about it and he was again super understandable. He told me that his DHL contact told him that "between us", the DHL contact would be completely on our side in this case and previous cases. And that he (JPC contact) would appeal any DHL decision against our favour. In the meantime, the replacement box is getting ready for adventure. Fingers crossed it won't involve any water. I shall report.

Thanks again for all your kind words. :)

gja586, Luisboa, Runicen and 10 others like this.
  9. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

As much as I dislike Amazon, at least they will replace damaged items without any hassle (immediately sending out a replacement, if they have it in stock). If I order the Gould Bach Box, I will order it from them rather than any overseas outlet.

Rmihai0, Robur, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  10. Andy Dursin

Yes agreed, they're the safest bet right now for sure.

Rmihai0, Robur, TonyACT and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

What kills me about the damage is that it is such a waste. The whole set is trash it looks like.

Robur and Runicen like this.
  12. Ben in Colorado

I’ve been on the fence about this set for a couple months now. It is super expensive, but the Japanese always do things so well. One of my questions is whether or not the book is in English and Japanese. I haven’t been able to figure that out yet. That would make a big difference to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2020
  13. Ben in Colorado

Hey Folks, this is Ben in Colorado. I’ve been gone for over a year, I used to be “ColoradoBen”. Couldn’t use that name again, so I went with this unique version. I thought this forum was costing me way too much money so I tried to take a break. Fat chance. Anyway great to be back and it’s been fun to read all your comments.

fluffskul, mBen989, Robur and 4 others like this.
  14. Ben in Colorado

I got that wrong. I used to be “Ben in Colorado” with a dodo as my icon. Jeesh

Carlos Bejeeber and TonyACT like this.
  15. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

Fingers crossed that the shipping gods will have mercy on you.

Mine arrived today ... new in box from an eBay link someone posted here.

Note the "new in box" statement.

Ready?

[​IMG]

"Buyer pays return shipment." - you can bet on it, seller.

I wonder if that seller would send a vase in the mail with just the label on it.

Time for a drink.

Luisboa, Runicen, Daedalus and 3 others like this.
  16. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Wow. I remember looking at that one but decided to wait and hope the price dropped at the local Amazon. Glad I did now. The local shipments have been pretty good so I'm hoping the new box continues the trend.

Robur likes this.
  17. misterjones

Wait a second . . . shipped in plastic? Is coronavirus affecting people's sanity that much? If you ship it back, you will, of course, return the favor. Make sure the plastic wrap is extra thin.

Runicen, Robur and TonyACT like this.
  18. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

That's some impressive damage, Robur. It's a sign of a reputable company when they take care of issues like this. It makes me a little sad to think of all those perfectly good CDs wasted, but that packaging is impressively trashed!

Runicen and Robur like this.
  19. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

This was basically my point. Someone had this brand new and still wrapped, put a shipping label sticker on it and then sent it off.

I'm debating whether I should send it like this or at least put some newspaper or so around it, else he could say that it got damaged on the way back. And not give me my money back.

But yeah. I believe that some people don't really turn on the stuff between their ears that much anymore.

Aye. I can say nothing but good things about JPC - I've been buying big boxes from them before I even discovered this thread. And yes, your thoughts were mine 100 percent.

TonyACT and Al Gator like this.
  20. misterjones

Actually, when that happened to me with a very heavy and poorly packed set, I returned the broken set in bullet-proof packaging to show the ***** how it should be done (and for the reason you state - a claim by him that I caused the breakage).

Runicen and Robur like this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

If they do actually have stuff between their ears, that is.... :)

Robur likes this.
  22. misterjones

Melting peanuts?

Runicen and J.A.W. like this.
  23. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

Yep! This has always been my modus operandi, too.

My return or regular shipments are so well padded with newspaper on all sides that when I lift the package and shake it, exactly zero movement is happening on the inside.

P.S.: Please help me understand the "melting peanuts" reference. :)

Rmihai0 likes this.
  24. misterjones

I'm sorry, did I say *****? I meant to say ****ing *******.

25. misterjones

Earlier in the thread, Jpc.de's use (for packing) of what I thought were styrofoam peanuts was discussed. It was pointed out that they in fact are environmentally friendly vegetable material that padded like styrofoam but dissolved when exposed to water. I tested one in water, and it quickly "melted". I think I said this was a good thing unless the package is exposed to rain or other moisture, which I think is what happened to someone's Jpc.de package (above).

Robur and TonyACT like this.