Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

A few new ones:

"The History of Classical Music" from DG:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-History-O...-fkmr0&keywords=dg+history+of+classical+music

Probably unlikely to contain much new for classical lovers, but a cool concept and a neat gift idea.

Bach Masterworks - The Original Jackets Collection

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Master...llection/dp/B00D6OP1HY/ref=pd_bxgy_m_h__img_y

I can't figure these out. DG has some composers (e.g., Liszt, Beethoven, Wagner, Brahms, Schumann) represented in 50-55 CD boxes under the 'Masterworks' concept, and then released a box of Mozart recordings under the '111' concept, and now here appears to be melding Masterworks with an 'Original Jackets' concept (which was originally a Sony idea).

Moonfish likes this.
  2. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

It sounds like you have some good management in the house! lol Well, at least an opportunity to catch up on the music. This means that you will not be able to share your impressions of these three boxes for quite a while..... :mudscrying:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  3. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

I noticed those the other day. They seem like odd assemblages, but agree with your suggestion that these are possibly targeting people new to classical music. One tendency I have noted with the DG collections (including Archiv) is the overlap that is occurring between their boxes. It is very annoying to have recordings that repeat themselves in a blended pattern. This is something that was prominent in Archiv's Baroque recent boxes. In terms of the original jacket approach is seems to be "trendy", but I am a bit surprised that is being used for a composer! It seems more suited for an artist. For the label it means less music per cd (although they have to bother with reprinting the original jacket rather than a uniform sleeve). At least I will keep my credit card away from these to beasts...... :cool:

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Regarding prices: Quite often, the best prices are on importcds.com. If you order direct from their website, the prices are often more than 20% better than the best price on Amazon, even better than the amazon marketplace posted price from importcds itself. But you need to check. Importcds is a reliable dealer in my experience.

Example: The Rubinstein 144 disc set at importcds is $96 while earlier today the amazon price from importcds was $139 (exactly $4 less than the amazon price)

5. dajokr

6. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

JulesDassin likes this.
  7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Nostalgia time. My first two classical LPs were from Westminster. Given to me by my piano teacher. Beethoven and Haydn Symphonies.

As for the Living Stereo box - very interesting but who is doing the mastering. The general consensus (and I know there is at least one dissenter around here) is that SoundMirror did a good job on the SACDs which mastering was used for the redbook layers as well. Are they doing this new set or is it a catch as catch can?

8. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Thank you very much for the update and link: the preorder price on the Living Stereo Collection 2 set was too good to ignore :cheers:

9. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

The Philips and DG Archiv boxes are fab as is the Columbia Masterworks Heritage.

10. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

What are the differences between the various released versions of the 60 CD Living Stereo box sets.

11. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

12. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

What I meant to say was are there different versions of Vol I. I see different release dates and prices.

13. dajokr

As far as I know, there was an international (import) version, the first US/UK version, and a second printing. That (I think) is why you can find different listings. I do not think there are any physical differences in the sets, but I could be wrong.

14. E()

E() Cat Herder

Glad I found this thread.

I mainly listen to rock and jazz. I have a few classical titles on cd and a modest collection of downloads from Linn, Channel Classics, HD Tracks, etc., but not what you would call a large collection. These box sets are a good way for someone new to the genre to get exposed to it, IMHO. I recently got both Mercury and the Living Stereo set. It will take a while to digest all of it but I am looking forward to the journey.

There are a few other sets on my radar (was not aware an LS Vol 2 set was coming). As a guitar player the Julian Bream set looks interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/Julian-Bream-...8&qid=1389387128&sr=1-1&keywords=julian+bream

Has anyone heard this one?

Grissongs, Jgirar01 and dajokr like this.
  15. dajokr

I think it is outstanding - same quality package as the Glenn Gould Complete Bach box. I didn't have much classical guitar and lute music, so it was a great addition to my collection. All in all, an excellent purchase for the price IMO.

Grissongs likes this.
  16. E()

E() Cat Herder

I am glad to hear that - even though my wallet isn't. Ordered that and the newest Decca set.

Now if only I could find a like-Segovia set. Did some searching and his discography is all over the place.

17. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

My problem is finding time to listen to all these releases. I continue to enjoy the Bernstein Symphony Edition, critics be darned!

Robur likes this.
  18. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Yes, I have the set. I am still working myself through it and very much enjoy the albums. It covers the bulk of the classical guitar repertoire with vivid recordings. Definitely something to acquire if you are into classical guitar!! The price is decent at Amazon UK as well!

Grissongs likes this.
  19. E()

E() Cat Herder

I am about halfway through the Julian Bream set. This is a great set. Some superb music and not just a man and his guitar. There are a lot of different combinations of styles and supporting musicians to keep it interesting.

Also working on the Decca Analog Years set.

Grissongs likes this.
  20. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I have read several times on this forum that the recent Living Stereo releases lack the dynamics of the earlier CD masterings of Living Stereo releases. Should we expect that with this new box set? Or will these be earlier masterings just packaged together?

21. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Had to buy this: Lumieres - Music of the Enlightenment (HM) – because the price was so low … Very good sound on the discs I’ve listened so far!
    It’s gonna take some time to get it done.

22. dajokr

I like that one a lot - all of the Harmonia Mundi boxes are stellar.

pick-me-up likes this.
  23. dajokr

I've slowed down the pace on these, due to the tremendous backlog I now have. The most recent additions for me were the Westminster Legacy box, the Richter Solo Recordings, and the Masterworks Heritage box. Anyone order (or preorder) any of the recent batch? I'm thinking of:

Fritz Reiner Complete RCA
    Bernstein Collection (DG)
    Strauss Complete Operas (DG)
    Marriner/Haitink/Colin Davis/Zinman/Abbado boxes
    DG Bach Masterworks
    DG 100 Great Symphonies
    Living Stereo V2

24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I have had the time to listen to the box since my last post, and must say I didn't want quite so much opera as it contains. I think almost a quarter of the disks fall into that category. Still, amazing value, and in one case I was lead to buy a single cd of an artist represented in the box set.

25. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

I preordered Living Stereo V2, and after the most recent email notification, shouldn't expect it until April...