Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. crs

crs Forum Resident

Deutsche Grammophon has a product listing for it now: Claudio Abbado & London Symphony Orchestra.

2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I think Chorzempa is the winner. There is some organ "clacking" on at least some of the movements, which I assume is because Chrozempa is using a mechanical (as opposed to an electrical) organ. Nice organ sound otherwise. I'll have to look into his organ selection for the recordings.

croquetlawns likes this.
  3. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

4. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

I don't know specifically but the booklet notes even lamented the recordings they didn't include in there!

That one was one of my first pickups -- $40 clearance special a few years back at Music Vaultz Canada. (BTW they have the Karajan Symphony box for $38 yet again)

shicorp and croquetlawns like this.
  5. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

Just ordered from ImportCds.com

USA release date is 01/29, but ImportCds has it in stock, and they usually ship new releases up to 7 days before the release date for UMG media.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robur, bluemooze and croquetlawns like this.
  6. Randy Lane

So are you satisfied with the purchase, be it a large one in terms of price?

7. Randy Lane

Eigenvector and Luisboa like this.
  8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

@misterjones,

IMHO, Chorzempa is the best American-born organist that is alive today. He is of Austrian descent but renounced his American citizenship to become Austrian a few years ago ...

Below is my go-to Bach Schübler Choräle. If you are not familiar with it, check it out. I have been listening to this recording for close to 40 years ...

[​IMG]

Here is the LP version for @crispi

[​IMG]

I have the LP version of this recording as well ...

bluemooze and Luisboa like this.
  9. Randy Lane

Since you "blame" me for deciding to buy the Paillard box, please share how happy you are with the purchase.

Robur likes this.
  10. coopmv

Just out of curiosity, are there many fans of Paillard here? I am not one though I do have a few LP's purchased from my uninitiated days. I now have a few CD's by way of the Rampal Erato box. I am primarily HIP for baroque so Paillard is off my list for the count ...

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Good grief, man, isn't it time to listen to something else? :winkgrin:

12. coopmv

Nah, @misterjones and I love big pipe organ music ...

13. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

I know it doesn't have this, since I have both the box and this LP:

Rodrigo*, Carlos Bonell, Charles Dutoit, L'Orchestre Symphonique De Montreal - Concierto De Aranjuez / Fantasía Para Un Gentilhombre

14. misterjones

There's no question in my mind that if only one instrument existed, or if I could only listen to one, it should/would be the pipe organ. I regret not becoming interested in it sooner. It was mentally VERY difficult get past the organ of the horror movies and roller rinks and baseball parks and the calliopes and the like of my youth.

Max Florian, Robur and Runicen like this.
  15. coopmv

Indeed, Strongly :agree:!

How can we not like Toccata & Fugue In D Minor - BWV 565 performed by the organ virtuoso Karl Richter? :uhhuh:

16. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

I have the box, but wouldn't call myself a fan. It's strength is with all the lesser known French composers that are hard to come by otherwise, but for the bigger names (like Bach, Handel & Vivaldi) I, like you, prefer HIP, or if traditional, a group like ASMF.

17. coopmv

I have Volume 3 of the Rampal Erato box, which has works by quite a few of the lesser known composers, though they are not all French. I have Volume 1 on order that has some less-known works by Mozart, which I enjoyed on other recordings but this box has Rampal and Veyron-Lacroix performing the works. I think these Rampal boxes just bring back much nostalgia and wonderful memories of the classical scenes from the 70's and 80's ...

Åke Bergvall likes this.
  18. misterjones

Four keyboards, all those stops, and check out the footwork (shown at the 6:45 mark). Clearly an instrument designed for beings with four arms (in addition to two legs). As of the 16th Century, organs were the most complicated machines created by man. Also, I believe they were considered evidence of extraterrestrial life in Chariots of the Gods.

19. coopmv

:righton::D

20. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Just a quick look at the contents I can see the set doesn't include the three Tchaikovsky symphony recordings that Dutoit did in Montreal (Nos 4, 5, & 6). Nor the Tchaikovsky violin concerto.

croquetlawns and shicorp like this.
  21. coopmv

So the box is not that complete. Most conductor big boxes usually include the Tchaikovsky symphonies ...

Matt Richardson and shicorp like this.
  22. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Many thanks for your input on Dutoit. Funnily, these are the items I also noticed. Add to that his Gershwin disk. I'm unsure whether there are others.

The size of the box and the odd number of disks made me think that it's a complete edition.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  23. coopmv

I suppose when the box is not named Dutoit Symphony Edition, they can ignore the Tchaikovsky Symphonies. I have Karajan Symphony Edition and Haitink Symphony Edition and both boxes include all the Tchaikovsky Symphonies Karajan recorded with the BPO and Haitink with the Royal Concertgebouw ...

24. misterjones

I didn't include church because (as I recall) the organist in our church when I was growing up was pretty good, possibly someone from the local university, as was the music selection. I suspect the organ had limited capabilities . . . not too surprising for a smallish Episcopal church in the Midwest.

25. coopmv

Was it a full-sized pipe organ or was it a pipe organ in a box?