Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, somebody had a really bad day over there...but things like this happen...I remember back in the 80s when my friend and I got some Judas Priests picture discs from the record store and got home overly excited to play them only to find out that the music in the LPs was not the manly metal sounds of the Priest but the smooth and softy rock of the one and only Neil Diamond :yikes::yikes:

2. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

Ditto on Amazon.com and ImportCDs

I'm hopeful Alliance Entertainment (Owner of ImportCDs) will have this and Szigetti by the end of next week.

Ben in Colorado likes this.
  3. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

The official release was/is on the 9th, tomorrow's Friday.

I was on the edge all week and wanted to pull the trigger yesterday (7th) at JPC. However, they are sending it out early, meaning that shipping went up from 3,50 to 36 Euro. A $40 difference, so I'm staying put for now. Not paying $240+ for it, 120 CDs and Ormandy or not.

Runicen and Ben in Colorado like this.
  4. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

Thanks for the laugh - I hope you kept those collectibles?!

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I was just a pissed teenager back then, not a collector, so I returned them to the store and got my money back.
    I wish I still had them though, they could have been a nice conversation piece.

Robur and croquetlawns like this.
  6. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

croquetlawns likes this.
  7. Randy Lane

Since the price is extremely good I sticking with ImportCds.
    JPC shipped Grumiaux 11 days ago. It left DHL Frankfurt 2 days later on 03/31 and is somewhere on the ocean sea.
    Past experience says it will be another 10 days to 2 weeks before it hits the American shore and the becomes stranded in customs.
    SLOW, SLOW, SLOW.
    I am patient with Grumiaux, but I have wanted these Ormandy recordings for more and will go insane if I have to wait that long for it.

My preference would be for Presto, but their prices for newer big boxes are too high.

8. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Amazon it delivers Grumiaux today. No reaction from Decca Classics to my FB and twitter messages yet...

9. trix

trix Forum Resident

Now moving away from the problems with the Grumiaux box...

I have the opportunity to buy (second-hand) the box by DHM (50 cds). I love baroque and I somehow intuitively feel that this first DHM box is better than the subsequent ones. Anyone here has the box and can give some advice? The price is roughly equivalent to 100 EUR. I think this is not a bargain but still a decent price.
    I mean this box:
    [​IMG]

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

JPC despatched my Ormandy box today, but haven't (yet) replied to my messages regarding the Grumiaux. I also mailed Universal at [email protected] but so far they haven't replied either.

Runicen, layman, RiRiIII and 2 others like this.
  11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

My Stravinsky Warner box is on its way to me. I am waging an internal battle over the Ormandy box! I want it but I have a lot of physical media...but...( you know how it goes).

Aslak, Robur and croquetlawns like this.
  12. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

It is an amazing box. As you said, the price is not a bargain, but at 2 EUR per CD is not bad either. Maybe we are spoiled regarding prices...
    I would buy it without hesitation.

13. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

One of my first boxes, which I also bought second hand. I was focused on Medieval and Renaissance music at the (I didn't want Haydn or newer), and this box and the Archiv Produktion "silver box" were just the ticket for me. I considered it a "must have". I finished listening to all of it many months ago.

bluemooze, 6138, croquetlawns and 3 others like this.
  14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

For some of you from the US who buy from jpc often, how long does it usually take for an order to arrive? My Grumiaux box was shipped on 3/22 but I am still waiting for its arrival ...

Thanks.

15. J Luc

J Luc Forum Resident

Mine was shipped on 3/18 and I did not get another update on the DHL tracking website until 3/25 when it showed up at customs in the US. Once in the US, it only took two days for delivery by the USPS and I had it on my porch in the SF Bay Area on 3/27.

Hope that helps.

16. Randy Lane

As I noted earlier JPC deliveries to my location take about 3 weeks just to get from Germany to the destination port in the USA. This has been the case for 8 years in Arizona, and previously in California.

The experience might be different for those USA residents who reside somewhere that DHL determines it best to make an east coast or gulf coast port the initial drop off location. Sending by ship through the Panama canal to the west coast adds considerably to the delivery time. Even west coast residents would get their packages faster if DHL sent them to the USA port nearest the point of origin and let USPS handle the rest.

Robur likes this.
  17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

So you got the box in about 10 days. The tracking info I got basically does not provide much info beyond 3/24. All I know is the box is in the US ...

Thanks for your help.

18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Unfortunately, patience is the order of the day. Here's some posts about one of my shipments from last year when things seemed especially bad/slow:

Another order in November got to me much quicker and in better condition (outer box). The contents of both boxes were fine (both double-boxed), and I was happy purchasing from JPC.

Hope your package shows up soon.

croquetlawns likes this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

David Hurwitz contacted Universal about the Grumiaux box and posted on his YT channel that they know there's a problem but haven't decided what to do about it.

20. Randy Lane

ImportCDs shipped this beautiful monster today, $200.91 plus taxes and minimum S&H.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  21. Randy Lane

Call me a pessimist. :(

My JPC Grumiaux package arrived a few hours ago at U. S. Customs in Sam's Clam Disco. :goodie:

22. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Strange. As @Torran and I reported, we were told to send an email with out address and will receive a substitutive disc (though we weren't told when). They said they were getting the correct discs.

This came from a Universal Italy official page that gave us the email address of a product manager at Universal (Italy probably).

So I find it strange that at central level they haven't decided what to do yet.
    I mean, they have the graphics done and, I'd say, the right data to burn on the discs. Furthermore, the box is a limited edition, so they should reprint a limited, however big, number of discs.

sambamaster likes this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There are probably several different levels at work here at Universal who have no idea what the others are doing - or not...

[edit] I've just sent an e-mail (in English, since my Italian is not good) to the address @Torran posted earlier; wait and see what happens now :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    albelTW, RiRiIII and sambamaster like this.
  24. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

Customs is the dark horse here. I've had things arrive in little over a week, I've had others take a few months at the height of everything last year.

Patience, young Jedi - don't we all have enough boxes we've never even opened? ;)

SBurke, Runicen, Eigenvector and 3 others like this.
  25. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Yes. And I suspect this is where Jpc.de packaging is tested. In my case - a 50 CD box - the outer box was significantly damaged after sitting in the hands of customs for weeks (lord knows why), but the CD box was fine. Just hope the interior isn't exposed to rain. Those environmentally friendly peanuts will dissolve like an Alka Seltzer.

Runicen and Robur like this.