Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Ivory-Plated Past likes this.
  2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

And, of course, we are charged with encyclopedic knowledge of all 700 pages (regardless of how long we’ve been around).

Robur and cws like this.
  3. Martinu

Martinu Forum Resident

There is a "Jazz Milestones of Legend" in a Membran-style box in Europe. It collects a number of the Columbia, Contemporary, Capitol, and MGM sides. (But doesn't include, for instance, the Decca sides or those live albums that used to show up on Black Lion.) Am guessing that his discography on the jazz side is spread across even more labels than his classical--so unlikely to ever show up in a single box, alas.

croquetlawns likes this.
  4. Rob L

Rob L Forum Resident

I just bought a used copy and it has this problem tried disc 1 on three different players and it starts screwing up around track 10 or 11. Ugh I haven’t tried disc 2 yet. So annoying.

5. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Don't want to derail this classical music thread - we seem to be morphing a bit into jazz - but issues relating to faulty discs cut across all genres (just ask Grumiaux fans). My problem was with the Kenton Holman/Russo set (specifically, discs 1 and 2). Discs 3 and 4 were OK. If you want to discuss further, you can send me a PM. Hope you can get your money back.

6. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Bought my first performer box - Rudolf Serkin Columbia, off eBay, less than $2 a disc. Couldn’t resist.

Robur, layman, Torran and 8 others like this.
  7. password196

password196 Forum Resident

I got Isaac Stern this morning thanks to your red alert. It's a beaut. Does anyone have a list of original jacket boxes?

SeeDubs and RiRiIII like this.
  8. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Lucky you! If I think I could buy it for 99 euro on jpc and I didn't !:realmad:

Robur likes this.
  9. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the Gardiner complete DG box will be a jacket collection? Today i listened on the radio a mozart concert played by Bilson, really interesting and beautiful!
    Absolutely impossible to find otherwise...

trix likes this.
  10. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

A cautionary tale:

Thread started: January 28, 2012
    My first post: June 14, 2018
    Number of mega (38+ CD) classical boxes in my collection on June 14, 2018: 1
    Number of mega (38+ CD) classical boxes in my collection or on the way today: 29

Runicen, Johnta7, Robur and 17 others like this.
  11. trix

trix Forum Resident

Ordered two mega boxes ;)
    * Bernstein Remastered (100 cds) from Amazon.pl. Very fast service- ordered on Thursday, today it's ready to be collected from the packet machine (sorry I don't know how it's called in English)
    * DHM box (50 cds). Second hand, from Allegro (it's like Polish ebay). Item delivered in pristine condition ;)

Runicen, bluemooze, Robur and 4 others like this.
  12. trix

trix Forum Resident

Nobody knows but considering DG reluctance to publish any additional photos or any kind of trailer, I'm afraid there are no original covers :mad:
    I'm a big Gardiner fan and even though I have many of his recordings I wanted to buy the box. If there are no original covers, however, I am not sure if I buy it. Certainly not for approx 190 euro.

garthhudson and Torran like this.
  13. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

The Mozart Piano Concertos are available in a separate box that while not jacket collection and oop can be had used from Amazon.de (here) for about €51.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    layman, DEVA and Eigenvector like this.
  14. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

But on Amazon.it I can buy all 104 Gardiner's cds for 150 euro. Isn't It better, considering that they are new and could wear the original sleeves? :)

15. Åke Bergvall

Yes I agree it is! I only wanted to show that it was possible to get just the piano concertos. I have that box + enough other Gardiner Mozart (i.e., the operas) + almost all his Bach, so I won't get the big box. He is great though!

Robur and Torran like this.
  16. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

An Asian journalist or forum poster confirmed it is not in original jackets.

17. Åke Bergvall

Most boxes we discuss are readily available (when new) and known to most of us, but sometimes there are ones that are more limited in distribution. I came upon one such the other day, and am now waiting eagerly for it to show up. It seems it's been around (in Sweden at least) for a while, but only now did I find out about it, and at a good price too, about 50 US$ instead of the normal $ 220. I would have provided a link to NaxosDirect.se where I bought it but it seems they ship only within Sweden. I should also add that the descriptions of each CD does not cover all the content: most CDs are stacked with additional works by the same composer. While I have my share of Swedish classical music, almost half the names on the list are completely new to me. Exciting!

Musica Sveciae Modern Classics (24CD)
    This anthology includes representative works of Swedish compositions metween the World Wars, an age when the first Swedish modernists shocked the traditionalist establishment. Many of the recorded pieces have since become classics.

CD 1: Edvin Kallstenius, Symphony No. 2 (PSCD701)
    CD 2: Hilding Rosenberg, Orfeus i Sta'n (PSCD702)
    CD 3: Från Berg till Bäck, Svensk kör- och orgelmusik (PSCD703)
    CD 4: Svenska baletter (PSCD704)
    CD 5: Svenska violinsonater (PSCD705)
    CD 6: John Fernström, Symphony No. 6 (PSCD706)
    CD 7.1: Swedish Lieder, Vol. 1 (PSCD707-1)
    CD 7.2: Swedish Lieder, Vol. 2 (PSCD707-2)
    CD 8: Swedish Quintets (PSCD708)
    CD 9: Gösta Nyström, Sinfonia del Mare (PSCD709)
    CD 10: Erland von Koch, Symphony No. 2 (PSCD710)
    CD 11: Moses Pergament, String Quartet No. 1 (PSCD711)
    CD 12: Ture Rangström, The Witches (PSCD712)
    CD 13: Gunnar de Frummerie, Piano Quartet No. 1 (PSCD713)
    CD 14: Lars-Erik Larsson, A Fiddler's Last Journey (PSCD714)
    CD 15: Swedish Piano Music 1910-1945, Vol. 1 (PSCD715)
    CD 16: Dag Wirén, Symphony No. 3 (PSCD716)
    CD 17: Melcher Melchers, Piano Concerto No. 2 (PSCD717)
    CD 18: Swedish Piano Music 1910-1945, Vol. 2 (PSCD718)
    CD 19: Yngve Sköld, Violin Concerto Op. 40 (PSCD719)
    CD 20: Josef Jonsson, Symphony No. 1 (PSCD720)
    CD 21: Natanael Berg, Song of Songs (PSCD721)
    CD 22-23: Hilding Rosenberg, Lycksalighetens Ö (PSCD722)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

David Hurwitz on the big André Previn Warner/EMI box:

Runicen, Randy Lane, jɑmbo and 3 others like this.
  19. trix

trix Forum Resident

So now I'm a happy owner of Bernstein Remastered. A really beautiful box and a beautiful book. Warner and DG should really learn from Sony how to make those boxes.

The box was badly packed (as is typical with Amazon). The box itself, however, is in spotless condition ;)

Runicen, Robur, layman and 7 others like this.
  20. erin_violinist

erin_violinist Forum Resident

Hi friends!
    I've been wondering if DG or Decca will soon release a Salvatore Accardo mega box with the full DG and Philips recordings.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

RiRiIII, DEVA, Martinu and 2 others like this.
  21. Mooch174

Mooch174 Forum Resident

I second that! Heck, even if DG learned something from Warner I’d be happy, at least they usually include disk sleeve art!

Robur, trix and Martinu like this.
  22. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

Congratulations! I think you will really enjoy this box, as it has some phenomenal performances. I realize there are those who are critical it didn't contain all of Lenny's Columbia/CBS recordings, but it has a large number of great ones. In the pre-mega box days, not many CD collections had more than 10 Bernstein CDs. You have 10 times that at a price that is most likely less than what the 10 individual CDs would have cost. Enjoy!

Robur, layman, trix and 2 others like this.
  23. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

My Previn box has been with the local postal service since Thursday of last week, so I assumed it would be delivered today and I watched the video.

I'm now even more excited to get it, but there have been zero updates and other packages have already been delivered today.

Bugger.

24. trix

trix Forum Resident

Thank you ;)
    I began with disc 88 (Carmen + Peer Gynt) and it's fabulous, both in terms of performance and remastered sound.

Åke Bergvall likes this.
  25. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

I have received this encouraging message today from Decca re the Grumiaux box set:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for getting in touch with regards to the replacement for CD45 of the Arthur Grumiaux Edition.
    We wanted to thank you for your continued patience whilst we try to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Although we have not been able to answer all of your queries directly, our team are busy collating all the correspondence we have received and are preparing the discs to be sent out in the coming days.

If you have not provided us with a postal address, please could you do so by replying to this email.
    Otherwise you should all receive the corrected CD45 in the post within the next 14 days.

Thanks once again for all your continued support.

Kindest regards,
    The team at Decca Records

--------------------------------------

Does anyone here know how to go about obtaining replacements for the problem CDs in the Peter Maag box set?

Runicen, Robur, croquetlawns and 3 others like this.