Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There will be one and it has already been discussed here. Its expected release date is October 15 (not 17, as listed below).

[​IMG]
    Contents as listed on JPC Germany's site:
    • Mozart: Symphonien Nr. 1-41 (Nr. 29, 35, 38-41 in zwei Einspielungen); Symphonien KV 45a "Alte Lambacher", KV 45b, 75, 76, 81, 95-97; Symphonie G-Dur "Neue Lambacher (Leopold Mozart zugeschrieben); Maurerische Trauermusik KV 477; Serenaden Nr. 6, 7, 9, 11, 13 (Nr. 6 & 13 in zwei Einspielungen); Sinfonie concertante KV 297b & 364 (KV 297b in zwei Einspielungen); Klarinettenkonzert KV 622; Fagottkonzert KV 191; Flötenkonzert Nr. 1; Oboenkonzert KV 314; Konzert für Flöte, Harfe & Orchester KV 299; Hornkonzerte Nr. 1-4; Klavierkonzerte Nr. 19, 23, 27
      +Beethoven: Symphonien Nr. 1-9 (Nr. 3, 5, 7, 9 in zwei Einspielungen); Egmont-Ouvertüre; Coriolan-Ouvertüre; Die Geschöpfe des Prometheus-Ouvertüre; Fidelio-Ouvertüre; Leonore-Ouvertüre Nr. 3; Klavierkonzerte Nr. 3-5
      +Brahms: Symphonien Nr. 1-4 (Nr. 1 & 2 in zwei Einspielungen); Klavierkonzert Nr. 1; Haydn-Variationen op. 56a; Tragische Ouvertüre op. 81
      +Bruckner: Symphonien Nr. 7 & 8
      +Schubert: Symphonien Nr. 1-9 (Nr. 5 & 9 in zwei Einspielungen)
      +Haydn: Symphonien Nr. 88-92; Sinfonia concertante H1: 105
      +Strauss: Alpensymphonie; Don Juan (in zwei Einspielungen); Till Eulenspiegel (in zwei Einspielungen); Also sprach Zarathustra; Festliches Präludium; Ein Heldenleben; Tod und Verklärung; Walzerfolge aus Der Rosenkavalier; Tanz der sieben Schleier aus Salome
      +Tschaikowsky: Symphonien Nr. 4-6
      +Wagner: Rienzi-Ouvertüre; Tannhäuser-Ouvertüre; Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg-Vorspiel; Parsifal-Vorspiel; Lohengrin-Vorspiele (1. & 3. Akt); Tristan und Isolde-Vorspiel; Isoldes Liebestod
      +J. Strauss II: An der schönen blauen Donau; Tritsch-Tratsch-Polka; Kaiserwalzer; Unter Donner & Blitz; Rosen aus dem Süden; Pizzicato-Polka; Annen-Polka; Perpetuum mobile
      +Reger: Mozart-Variationen
      +Dvorak: Symphonie Nr. 9
      +Schumann: Symphonie Nr. 4
      +Prokofieff: Peter und der Wolf (in zwei Einspielungen)
      +Saint-Saens: Karneval der Tiere
      +Karl Böhm probt Schuberts Symphonie Nr. 9
      +"Mozart gilt meine große Liebe" - Karl Böhm über Mozart und dessen Symphonien; Karl Böhm über seine Beziehung zu den Wiener Philharmonikern
      +"Erzähltes Leben" - Karl Böhm über sein Leben und seine Karriere
      +Blu-ray Audio - Mozart: Symhonien Nr. 1-41 (incl. Symphonien KV 45a "Alte Lambacher", KV 45b, 75, 76, 81, 95-97; Symphonie G-Dur "Neue Lambacher")
    • Label: DGG, ADD
    • Order number: 10625014
    • Release date: 17.9.2021

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  3. Relaxo

Relaxo Well-Known Member

Sold out at Jpc https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/de...ry-amsterdam-concerts-1947-1961/hnum/10611207
    I bought mine from Jpc last week.

HistPerf and misterjones like this.
  4. Relaxo

Relaxo Well-Known Member

Fou Ts'ong Plays Chopin: Complete CBS Album Collection (10 CDs) - release date 12.11.2021

[​IMG]

hvbias, nigels, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  5. Crimson King

Crimson King Silly Audiophile

La Nilsson is still available on Amazon France, and the price is just 128 Euro (looks a bit higher before placing the order, but I guess VAT was removed when I paid, as I am from the US)

6. Crimson King

7. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Sometimes I wonder about these CD covers. Is he trying to look like the Prince of Darkness?

[​IMG]

ubertrout, Norco74, trix and 3 others like this.
  8. misterjones

I just got the 100-CD set (i.e., DG's History of Classical Music). I was able to find it recently in what was billed as (and what appears to be) mint condition for just a few dollars more than the original price. I hate it when I'm on the fence about something and I see a price that's too good to pass up! The same happened for this:
    [​IMG]
    I think I like keyboard collections more than any other type. I wish there were more available at good prices . . . or maybe I'm glad there aren't.

trix, bluemooze, 5-String and 5 others like this.
  9. Gentian

Gentian Forum Resident

Another little present from fnac.be for our friends in Belgium and Luxemburg:

Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas by Rudolf Buchbinder - 9 cd box for € 2,99

trix, albelTW and misterjones like this.
  10. misterjones

If they'd just offer this for the same price . . .

[​IMG]

Actually, after I got one of the discs from the library, I wasn't that impressed with the SACD aspect of it (the CD layer sounds great). But I have requested the CD again to try it with my new surround-sound set-up.

albelTW and Gentian like this.
  11. Gentian

Gentian Forum Resident

Another perfect delivery from jpc.de

[​IMG]

ubertrout, cws, bdjr and 12 others like this.
  12. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Some excellent discs in the 100 CD set, first big box I listened to from start to finish (possibly still the only one as it began the deluge ;)).

Have a similar situation with the Richter box, currently on my Amazon watchlist.

Gentian and misterjones like this.
  13. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Any thoughts on why I don't need DG-111 The Conductors?

I can start:

- You already have 99% of the repertoire.

- You probably have a half-dozen of these discs in other DG boxes.

... but not in original covers :cool:

croquetlawns and Crimson King like this.
  14. Crimson King

You know you want the original covers, so go for it! :)

This last 18 months taught us to not delay our pleasures :(

trix and TonyACT like this.
  15. trix

trix Forum Resident

Most of cds in 111 Conductors are very full.

TonyACT and croquetlawns like this.
  16. Papageno

Papageno Forum Resident

Looks like there will be original album art on the sleeves for the Georg Solti - The London Orchestral Recordings.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, SOONERFAN, cws and 9 others like this.
  17. layman

layman Forum Resident

I wish they would just go in an throw in the London opera recordings too, since there were not that many of them (Carmen, the Marriage of Figaro...that's two).

croquetlawns, TonyACT and Papageno like this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm on the fence about the upcoming Solti in London box, but if the opera recordings had been included I wouldn't even think about getting it. The operas are also the main reason why I didn't buy the Solti Chicago box. Same with the Kubelík DG box, I already have lots of its contents and don't want the operas.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  19. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

The addition of Orchestral could mean a future Vocal and Choral box, perhaps with his RCOH works, which I can refrain from buying.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  20. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

definitely what it means, a second box means more $$$ for them

21. harvard75

harvard75 Forum Resident

Anyone have any recent experience with how long it takes for a mega box to get from jpc to USA? I have a DHL tracking #, and it tells me that at 6 AM Frankfurt time this past Saturday morning, "The shipment will be transported to the destination country/destination area and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization," the Gold Old USPS. Nothing since then, for the past 72 hours. The USPS link says, "Yeah, those German guys told us they were sending us a package for you. That's as much as we know."

So I am not expecting lightning delivery, but would appreciate anyone's recent experiences that might give me an idea how long a wait I might be in for. Thanks in advance.

22. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

Well, my last JPC delivery was tracked right up to a USPS truck. And that's the last that was seen of it. I never got it.

23. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

It just makes no sense of keeping them in the Chicago box and removing them from the London box. Let's see if a Vienna box will follow.

TonyACT likes this.
  24. harvard75

harvard75 Forum Resident

Ouch! Hoping I have better luck!

25. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

mine took about 3 weeks. It sat in the status your currently in for about 7-10 days and then in customs for another 6

Four Bs, harvard75 and TonyACT like this.