Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. WWC

WWC Forum Resident

For the boxes that are scheduled to be released in the next few months, would you recommend pre-ordering them or wait and see if the prices come down once they are released? Thanks!

croquetlawns likes this.
  2. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

I have the big blue box 'Furtwangler - The Legacy' and I am going to wait and see what the reviews of the new Warner box are like before I decide whether or not I will buy the new re-masterings.

TonyACT likes this.
  3. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

That's a tricky question. No doubt the days of deep cuts and great deals seems to be largely a thing of the past (with the occasional exception), so waiting for the price to go down significantly is no longer (for the most part) a viable option. One strategy is to hunt down the best prices across the different Amazons and beyond, but that works better if you live in Europe than the in US or Australia. Prices across the Atlantic as we all are aware of have skyrocketed over the past year or two, but I was surprised to notice that when I explored sending a box from Amazon.it to my address in the US (have a daughter living there), it wasn't astronomical any more. Don't know if just a fluke.

TonyACT and croquetlawns like this.
  4. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

I'll say it depends on how much you want a particular box and how much that box has market.

For the first point, if you really want it, preorder it where its cheaper (Amazon, JPC, Presto, whatever) or you'll risk going OOP. I behaved like this for the Grumiaux box (even if it's not clear if this one is OOP or not) and I am glad I did.

The second point is more difficult to assess, but if it's a box that has high demand among the fans or is highly anticipated, chances are it will sell quickly and go OOP sooner than later. So in this case preordering is problably a good idea, or at least it would be advisable to buy it as soon as possible.

Else, you can really decided case by case.

By the way, I just finished downloading the Reiner box, the CD order seems to be different from the one on Discogs (e.g. Disc 38 on Supraphon is just Totentanz, while on Discogs is Haydn Symphony n. 88)

TonyACT and croquetlawns like this.
  5. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Good question - I'm still contemplating the Saint Saens Edition box from Warner.

5-String and TonyACT like this.
  6. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I cleaned that one up a bit. I intend to add more information but it should be accurate so far as track names are concerned. I did not do any sleeve scans for it, as they were already there. While the sleeve backs are original, they are pretty to look at but otherwise useless.
    The booklet is a book of a size to fit in the box. Scanning it would ruin it, which I have no intention of doing.

croquetlawns likes this.
  7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Similar design to the Wilhelm Backhaus Complete Decca box, I think it's quite an attractive design choice! I will have to look up the 1889 Bruckner Symphony 3, I find Bohm usually pretty successful in Bruckner.

This Backhaus box also one of my all time favorite piano box sets. Backhaus' stunning interpretations and the excellent mastering throughout. Like the mono Beethoven Piano Sonata cycle sounding identical to the fine sounding Japan first pressing CD box set.

[​IMG]

Four Bs, layman, trix and 7 others like this.
  8. Wombat79

Wombat79 Forum Resident

Disc 38 of my download is Haydn. The single track of Totentanz is disc 51. That all matches discogs. The rest of disc 51 is Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 1 with Byron Janis. This seems to duplicate the recoding on disc 18.

albelTW likes this.
  9. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that Backhaus set.

Four Bs, layman and TonyACT like this.
  10. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

This should be the order, as per the Supraphonline site, under "Informace o albu". The volumes are the real discs as per discogs.

Disk 1 - volume 56
    Disk 2 - volume 54
    Disk 3 - volume 42
    Disk 4 - volume 48
    Disk 5 - volume 43
    Disk 6 - volume 60
    Disk 7 - volume 61
    Disk 8 - volume 62
    Disk 9 - volume 63
    Disk 10 - volume 49
    Disk 11 - volume 52
    Disk 12 - volume 53
    Disk 13 - volume 24
    Disk 14 - volume 25
    Disk 15 - volume 26
    Disk 16 - volume 27
    Disk 17 - volume 20
    Disk 18 - volume 21
    Disk 19 - volume 22
    Disk 20 - volume 23
    Disk 21 - volume 46
    Disk 22 - volume 47
    Disk 23 - volume 44
    Disk 24 - volume 45
    Disk 25 - volume 28
    Disk 26 - volume 29
    Disk 27 - volume 40
    Disk 28 - volume 41
    Disk 29 - volume 1
    Disk 30 - volume 3
    Disk 31 - volume 2
    Disk 32 - volume 5
    Disk 33 - volume 4
    Disk 34 - volume 7
    Disk 35 - volume 6
    Disk 36 - volume 9
    Disk 37 - volume 8
    Disk 38 - volume 51
    Disk 39 - volume 39
    Disk 40 - volume 38
    Disk 41 - volume 59
    Disk 42 - volume 58
    Disk 43 - volume 11
    Disk 44 - volume 10
    Disk 45 - volume 13
    Disk 46 - volume 12
    Disk 47 - volume 15
    Disk 48 - volume 14
    Disk 49 - volume 17
    Disk 50 - volume 16
    Disk 51 - volume 19
    Disk 52 - volume 18
    Disk 53 - volume 31
    Disk 54 - volume 30
    Disk 55 - volume 37
    Disk 56 - volume 36
    Disk 57 - volume 35
    Disk 58 - volume 34
    Disk 59 - volume 33
    Disk 60 - volume 55
    Disk 61 - volume 32
    Disk 62 - volume 57
    Disk 63 - volume 50

albelTW and croquetlawns like this.
  11. Wombat79

Wombat79 Forum Resident

When you actually download them, the zip file has the Supraphon disc number but the files inside use the actual disc number. The Liszt one downloaded as a single file though - I can’t remember if it used the Supraphon number or the real number.

albelTW likes this.
  12. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

I had a look at the download just now on my account and Supraphononline's "Disk 38" is a single file download of Disc 51 Liszt Totentanz.

The other content on Disc 51 should be Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 1 with Byron Janis, which was already included on Disc 18. The timings on Discogs look identical, so it's probably the same recording and Supraphononline have deleted it because they decided not to upload any duplicated recordings for some weird reason.

croquetlawns and albelTW like this.
  13. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Thanks to all of you for your replies. It seems I will have to spend some time to organize the set properly as long as CDs and title goes. I'll leave the bulk of tagging to Qoobar and Musicbrainz database though.

14. Wombat79

Wombat79 Forum Resident

After also buying Boulez, I realise this was not quite right - the zip file has no number. I added them to the file name to keep track of what had downloaded and what had not as the occasional download failed and needed to be restarted, so when I looked at the file names they had the number in them.

15. trix

trix Forum Resident

It was strange with Backhaus set because it was oop right after its release (if I remember well).

misterjones and croquetlawns like this.
  16. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

A bunch of interesting boxes from Hänssler Profil have just showed up at jpc (here). While most are not "Mega" the price is right, including 9 SACDs for €10.

[​IMG]

HistPerf, TonyACT, hvbias and 5 others like this.
  17. LaBowe

LaBowe Forum Resident

"Timings" are something that needs carful scrutiny ...as the Supra time listing may LOOK correct vs Discogs etc BUT when you isolate the file in whatever player one uses ,in my case ITunes, the time MAY be truncated. I have numerous examples as mentioned previously that Supra referred me on to the Sony rep who fixed the tracks on the Supra site except in my latest purchases that have yet to be corrected i.e Previn Williams Box etc etc etc.,

18. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

I can't imagine that the Warner box would not trounce the Membran "The Legacy" box. I found those to be very over-processed and over-filtered. It seemed to me that they took whatever sources they could find and applied the same generalized settings without much regard for the results, which are pretty dull sounding. My guess is that the new set will also improve over the previous not so hot Warner/EMI releases, which certainly leave room for improvement, but we'll have to see. I find it a bit annoying that this new box will not include everything previously released on EMI....some of the live stuff, particularly Brahms & Bruckner, and the Rome Wagner Ring. But if it's done well, there will be plenty of value, for sure.

J.A.W. likes this.
  19. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

So I'm guessing it's a mistake, but the new Chopin Masters release from DG is showing up as $13 for the FLAC download of all 28 CDs on Presto Music. The full physical release is around $100.

The Chopin Masters

It's US only, but I was able to use a VPN and purchase it, and then download it from my Presto account without the VPN.

20. likes2listen2beethoven

likes2listen2beethoven Forum Resident

Has anyone received their replacement disc for the Grumiaux box directly from Decca?

I received an email from them in July stating it was being shipped and I should receive it within two weeks but I have seen nothing.

Runicen and Martinu like this.
  21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I just ordered this set this morning cause (in no particular order):

a) Hurwitz reviewed it on his YouTube channel and gave it a thumbs up
    b) The selection of composers and the repertoire is very interesting and it will fill a gap in my collection.
    c) It is very cheap for 10 CDs and a Making-Of DVD.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Martinu and bluemooze like this.
  22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Not me, although I also received the same email back in July.
    I am not anxious about it because I discovered that I already have the missing Beethoven's Violin Concerto in the Davis Beethoven's Odyssey collection.
    Also, I got a full refund for the box from Amazon so I got the Grumiuax complete recordings for free.
    That being said, it would be nice if we ever receive the missing disc, although I do not hope much anymore.

23. Mooch174

Mooch174 Forum Resident

Nope, I emailed them a couple weeks ago to let them know I hadn't received it, and I haven't gotten a reply to that either.

24. harvard75

harvard75 Forum Resident

Thank you for this! Snagged it just now. WAY too good to pass up, even with some duplication. Cheers.

jɑmbo and croquetlawns like this.
  25. WWC

WWC Forum Resident

I got the following email from Decca a couple of week ago:

"Hello,

Thank you for your email.

We apologise for this issue. We have forwarded on your email to someone who should be able to advise.

Best,

Info"

Runicen, Martinu, cws and 1 other person like this.