Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Well done, man ! :targettiphat:
    At least it is fixable, this makes me feel a little better.

TonyACT likes this.
  2. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I have fired an email to both JPC and Warner Classics to report this defect. Let’s wait and see.

5-String and TonyACT like this.
  3. Norco74

Well, the burst and 144 ms of drama are gone and the fix is quasi seamless. It would take a very good trained ear or musician to spot the fix. Hopefully we all expect that Warner Classics will do the right thing and replace the disc.

5-String, croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  4. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

In relation to one of the latest David Hurwitz videos, I would like you to compare these two recordings. For Hurwitz, Munch's recording is the best of Beethoven's Coriolan Overture. Listen to Furtwängler's recording from 1943 below. Draw your own conclusions.

5. bruckner13

6. bruckner13

Amazon Italy canceled my purchase of Arthur Grumiaux box. It seems that the same thing happened with this box as with the Backhaus one. :cry:

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Furtwangler 12/10

Munch 9/10

IMHO of course.

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

What a fiasco!
    How long did this stay in print? A couple of months? And then they delete it!
    I do not think that it was even available in the US, I had to order my copy from Amazon Global Store UK.
    Such a shame for such a great box set.

TonyACT and croquetlawns like this.
  9. WWC

WWC Forum Resident

While I respect Dave Hurwitz and enjoy his videos, he is certainly biased against Furtwangler. He is entitled to his opinion, and I am entitled to enjoy all of my Furtwangler recordings.

RiRiIII and 5-String like this.
  10. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Bummer. This set has been in print for a very short time and I can't really undestand why (I think I stated my opinion in the past on limited editions). Maybe CD44 misprint has something to do with it

Meanwhile, the seller of my Dvorak Quartets by Panocha Quartet, who has only 5 star reviews, is not answering on Discogs and the package isn't here yet. I had to use the seller not responding feature, which was unpleasant to do but necessary. Hope he answers before he gets suspended.

5-String and croquetlawns like this.
  11. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Forum Resident

I actually went to a symphony concert where the Labeque sisters were the special guests about 15-20 years ago. They were certainly interesting and entertaining to watch (I knew nothing about them at the time).

12. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

Given all of the Labeque Sisters talk, who has heard many of the DG recording of two piano music played by Alfons & Alyoys Kontarsky? would a complete recordings box be better than the Labeques?

bluemooze and Martinu like this.
  13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

For anyone else still waiting, I just got my Grumiaux replacement disc from Decca. Plain, padded mailer with a disc in a plastic sleeve.

And no, I still haven't received a reply email from any of my four-ish inquiries over a multi-month period, so they're clearly not replying to everyone, but they do seem to be logging all requests.

14. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Does anyone here have the Kubelík Symphony Edition (or maybe the Kubelík Complete DG box)?

My disc 12, containing Dvořák's 7th and 8th Symphonies from 1971 and 1966 respectively has issues playing and ripping. I bought it a while ago and have only now gotten around to listening to more of it and ripping the discs.

When I play it will sometimes stop around the 5 minute mark of the first track. Attempting to rip the disc just makes my drive spin up and down and make clicking sounds. I've ripped thousands of discs with it and the drive is fine otherwise.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  15. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

What did you use to fill the gap?

16. Norco74

I simply removed it by joining the musical content only so there is a possibility that 144 ms of music is missing. Was the gap originaly inserted in the musical section or pasted over it? I cannot answer this question.

indigovic, 5-String and TonyACT like this.
  17. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I don't have this box, but have had the stopping thing with 3-4 CDs over the past year, all discs from box sets and not older single CDs. They generally play okay when ejected and started again.

It's annoying. I'm guessing CD manufacturers are fewer in number and standards have slipped slightly as they make cheap CDs for the waning physical media market.

18. RaceBannon

Yes, cds now seem thinner and lighter than in the 80s and 90s. They just felt more substantial. I think there is a "lets spit them out as cheap as we can" mentality.

Runicen, cws, 5-String and 3 others like this.
  19. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

But wasn't this an issue where it was mastered it incorrectly (judging from the waveform) rather than a skip from a pressing defect?

20. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Not sure we are referring to the same error, @jambo was referring to another one. Either way they seem to reflect poor quality control nowadays.

5-String likes this.
  21. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

For anyone who has Mercury Living Presence volume 3, have you managed to work out how it's organised? :confused:

It starts A-Z by conductor through disc 37, then starts A-Z again by conductor and performer until disc 47. There then appear to be four random discs, I'm assuming they are the four Philips discs, and then the two 'bonus' CDs?

bluemooze likes this.
  22. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

Oh, sorry, but yes, I'll agree with that! The labels seem to be in a rush to issue every recording ever made before either their demise, or that of their inveterate aging customer base.

cws and TonyACT like this.
  23. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

24. RaceBannon

Is that Dvorak pic a cd box or lp? I've never seen that cover.

25. bruckner13

croquetlawns likes this.