Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #1)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Composer: Beethoven
    Work: Bagatelles+
    Performer: Alfred Brendel
    Medium and Label: CD/Philips 456 031-2
    Date of performance: 1996 /1984

First, I loved his Beethoven. Then, I learned to dislike it. Now, my first impressions are back intact.

2. pdxrunner

pdxrunner Member

Work: The Nine Symphonies
    Performer(s): Otto Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra
    Medium and Label (CD, LP): LP (boxed set), Columbia
    Date of performance (If known) : Late 50's?

Last night I pulled out my boxed set of 8 LPs. I haven't listened to this set for probably 15 years! I'm at work now so I don't have the records in front of me for listing out the specfics on recording dates, etc. After listening to newer recordings of the symphonies (e.g. Abado's Berlin Philharmonic release on CD) it's interesting to go back to the earlier interpretation. And, I love the medium, even if it is less convenient. There are a couple of movements that were split between sides, and the whole set is organized for stacking all 8 LP's on a changer. (Side 1 paired with side 16, 2 with 15, etc.)

Ken

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Attached Files:

4. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I own every volume from that Master set. The Schubert one is well worth having. If you like his Schubert (and I can't see how anyone couldn't) try that Brilliant Classics box that came out a couple of years ago. There's a few performances on there that are breathtaking.

6. George P

[​IMG]

:D

7. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Work: String Quartets No. 14 in C sharp minor, Op. 131 and No. 16 in F major, Op. 135
    Ensemble:Végh String Quartet
    Medium and Label: CD/ Naive 4871
    Date of performance: Mid-1970s

Definitely desert island material here folks.

In addition, I just love the cover to this box set:

[​IMG]

8. clogs

clogs New Member

I have the original, and I believe that it is on it. I'm at work so I can't verify that, just yet

9. clogs

clogs New Member

There are so many excellent readings of big B's quartets. My favorite, though is still Quartetto Italiano.

10. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Yes. It should be on it. Do you have any interest in selling the disc?

11. clogs

clogs New Member

Sorry Jay, can't part with it. It is a biggey for me.

12. clogs

clogs New Member

Hey Jay, I just looked on ebay and amazon. Both have some copies there. Looks like it's starting from about $50.

13. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Love this ensemble for my Mozart Quartets. Like you said, many great performances out there. In fact, one could spend most of their resources just collecting these. Hmmmm. :agree:

14. George P

I like them second to Vegh. :)

A great set for sure!

15. George P

I have no idea what you are talking about.

:hide:

16. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Composer: Schumann
    Work: Papillons Op. 2; Symphonic Etudes Op. 13; Kreisleriana Op. 16; Arabeske Op. 18
    Performer: Wilhelm Kempff
    Medium and Label: CD/DG 474 393-2(from the 5 cd box set of "Complete 1950's solo Recordings"-for Schumann and Brahms)
    Date of performance: 1951/1956//1956/1951 (respectively)

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Yeah, the LP is $49.99. I'm looking for the CD, though, and I don't want to spend $73.50, the lowest price on Amazon right now. I've got all but that one variation on a different disc, so just for one variation, I don't want to spend $75. $25, yes. $75, no.

Thanks for looking for me, though.

(The worst part is, I had this CD years ago, and I sold it, probably for $5.)

18. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Neither do I. ;)

19. clogs

clogs New Member

Bad boy.:eek::laugh:

20. George P

Watch that you don't whack your nose when you get up from the computer. :D

(I just banged mine when I got up)

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It was years ago. I inherited about 1,000 classical CDs in 1992, and I had absolutely no appreciation for chamber music. In 1993-94, I needed the money, and who thought CDs would go the way of the LP? If "perfect sound forever" wasn't actually perfect, at least it was forever--no?

22. clogs

clogs New Member

Yo! Duderooski,
    I have had more than my share of mistakes with regards to vinyl cd's et. al.
    So, you're not alone, in that regard.

23. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

That is how my love for classical music began. My father-in-law left us about 300 cds of classical music, Fortunately, we were able to hold on to all of it and a number of years later I actually played some and was hooked. Now I continue to add, and will continue to do so even if the format of cd goes way of the dino. However, he also had a nice handful of classical vinyl that we did get rid of, and now the kicking of myself has begun in earnest.

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I inherited at least 1,000 classical records at the same time, but in 1992, I had no clue I would ever own a turntable again, so I sold them for $1000, glad for the money and not having to move all those LPs.

WHO KNEW?

25. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

There are some shops here in Denver that have classical lps for as low as a $1 each. I have been tempted many times to start buying a few each week. I have been recently collecting jazz soundtracks on vinyl and there are only a few to be had from time to time, so that storage is not an issue, and probably never will be. However, if I go classical vinyl, look out! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.