Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #10)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

A slow revelation was this particular recital for me. But the more I hear it is the more I love it...

Attached Files:

2. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Now playing:

RODRIGO: Fantasia Para Un Gentilhombre, Concierto Andaluz
    FALLA: El Amor Brujo - Enrique Bátiz, Orquesta Sinfónica del Estado de México / Victoria Vergara, Mezzo-Soprano / 1981 (Varèse Sarabande, VCD 47219)

Yeah, I know I said that I don't like vocals in Classical music, but here's one exception. In fact, I think the singing on this "El Amor Brujo" is wonderful, not that I have any other versions to compare. I bought this CD way back in the day, and I never felt a need to seek out any other performances because I love this one so much.

I also have another CD in this series (Varèse Sarabande, VCD47210), with Falla's "Nights in the Gardens of Spain" & "The Three Cornered Hat", also by Bátiz and the same Orchestra , and love it equally. Here's a picture of this one, but I can't find a picture anywhere of the "El Amor Brujo" CD.
    [​IMG]

3. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

The Batiz recordings (and there are many) appeared on many labels.

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I love the Octet. I play clarinet, and the writing for the clarinet in that piece may equal the Mozart and Brahms Quintets.

If Schubert had lived for another 5 years, what wonders there would have been. . .

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Or ten years. Or twenty.

6. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yep, in particular, his Respighi on Naxos has got terrific sound, the performance is also spot-on. :righton:

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Have had it on Melodiya vinyl since, probably, early/mid-80's. The Schumann is my favorite here, because I find something odd in Richter's rendition of the Grieg (even these first notes sound kinda strange). I really had been trying to love it but always preferred a couple of other performances (the Bolet, for example). OTOH, this Grieg is a good alternative listen, to say the least.

8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Give the Piano Concertos more attention. The Second PC is one of my all time fave PCs. The second movement is brilliant. :cheers:

9. no.nine

Now playing:

[​IMG]

Dynamic Organ Music Series, Vol.1 CD ('84)

Samuel John Swartz playing the Skinner organ of Immanuel Presbyterian Church of Los Angeles (Perpetua PR 7001)

BACH: Tocccata & Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565
    LISZT: Prelude & Fugue on B-A-C-H
    FRANCK: Chorale No. 3 in A minor
    WAGNER / SCHWARZ: Organ Transcription of the Ride of the Valkuries
    TOURNEMIRE: Improvisation on Victimae Paschali
    BOËLLMANN: Toccata from Suite Gothique

10. Rose River Bear

Cool. The Boellmann and the Franck are faves of mine. :righton:

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD4, the last CD from this set and the rest of Partitas. An excellent set so far ...

[​IMG]

12. coopmv

Just placed this small order with an Amazon US MP vendor this evening ...

[​IMG]

13. Rose River Bear

I have been on the fence with him. I might give one of his Bach discs a shot. :cheers:

14. coopmv

Rousset is an excellent harpsichordist. You will enjoy the set if you like harpsichord music.

15. Baron Von Talbot

If you like Bach you could do worse than give this recitals a chance...

16. Baron Von Talbot

Oops I mean these .

Attached Files:

17. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

18. Baron Von Talbot

Not exactly classical; but i bet this will be of interest for many of you in here - A Piano Tribute to Pink Floyd. Captures the essence of those songs qiuite nicely and the piano tone is nice as well....

19. no.nine

[​IMG]

Mahler: Symphony #9 / Barbirolli, Berliner Philharmoniker (EMI, CDM 7 63115 2)

Another in a recent mini-haul of new acquisitions, I just finished my first listen to this. My first impressions:

First movement was heavy going; I enjoyed the mood it created but felt that maybe it didn't go anywhere for long stretches. Second & third movements struck me as more immediate, with some melodies popping out that hooked me for sure. I felt that the fourth movement had a combination of both qualities.

My overall impressions were promising. I have a feeling this one will grow stronger and reveal more with further listens, and I'm looking forward to spending some more time with it.

20. .... I'm following in your footsteps. :righton:

21. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

it's a performance to keep coming back to. it sounds as if it might be your first exposure to the 9th, so i'll just say it's a phenomenal piece and one that will repay whatever efforts you put in to it. for me, it's one of the high points of western civilization.

22. no.nine

Yep, it is. :) And it's only my 2nd exposure to Mahler in total. The first was a recording of the 5th Symphony by Václav Neumann & the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, bought at the same time.

Incidentally, do you (or anyone else here) have this particular CD issue of the Barbirolli's 9th (EMI, CDM 7 63115 2)? Mine has a small digital click on the final track, at 13:42, and I'm curious to know if this was a flaw inherent in the CD's master, or if it's just my copy?

23. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Received in the mail today and have had on the spin tonite.....
    VERY nice I might add for a 1959 Recording Remastered. :righton:

[​IMG]

Another top award from Penguin Guide [​IMG] Rosette Winner

24. no.nine

Now playing:

[​IMG]

RAVEL: Miroirs; Le Tombeau de Couperin - Yukie Nagai, Piano (BIS CD 246)

Long time favorite - a beautiful, beautiful CD! :righton:

25. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Gotta love those BIS with the WARNING! :laugh:

I have one that has a Percussion Ensemble on it with same warning.
    I heed it wisely.....it probably would dust a set a speakers if ya got carried away with the volume! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.