Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #11)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

I can't find my case at the moment but if I'm correct the 1st was recorded in 1940 and "The Isle of the Dead" in 1945.

Thanks for chiming in. Never heard "wacky" applied to a recording of Mozart's Requiem before. :D

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes this is correct.

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Digital reverb is not a source issue, it is added at the mastering stage. All of the Russian Archives series titles are licensed from an entity by the name of Gostelradiofund, Russian Federation, so reverb was added either by the licensor or Brilliant. I don't think Brilliant is just taking recordings and issuing as is - ie. they are culpable, but that's just idle speculation. At any rate, this awful effect is a dealbreaker for me. I won't be buying any more Russian Archives series. My loss.

Now playing:
    • Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E-flat Major, Op. 55 'Eroica' - Giovanni Antonini/Basel Chamber Orchestra [Sony Classical 2008 2SACD, coupled with the Fourth, the first chamber-sized performance of this symphony that works for me -- it's excellent!]

Attached Files:

4. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Brahms Symphony #1 c/w haydn Variations
    BPO H von Karajan
    DG Galleria 427 253-w (r) 1989.
    For the record I bought a number of my Galleria issues for pennies from those who thought they were 'trading up' :shh:

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Nowadays, used CDs of classical music have become cheaper than ever. In my recent trip to California I got more than 25 CDs (DG, EMI, Hyperion, Chandos, DECCA, etc.) for 0.99 each. I payed less than 30$ for all of them.

Unfortunately though, I did not see any used SACDs in the stores that I visited.

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I wish I could find a store that sells those great titles used!

7. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

2 great new entries today : Finally the brand new Yuja Wang album - transformations with some of the most difficult to play piece trnafprmed. Recommende by Stereo Magauone germany as the equivalent of climbing an 8.000 meter mountain . Trvotf of Zr Monzj 2010 July Grammophone and so o. Waiting for the perfect moment to really open m ear to her fantastic plying.

Transformations by Stravinsky 25 minutes, Brahms, Scarletti and Ravel . She is eing more beautiful with each year. Now she is 23 years old and already recognized by many as mre member in the olymp of classical piano artists.

And something completely different ; from russia with love STABAT MATER in a sensational version. ONly found time to hear a few minuteof it. Soundsvry interesting....
    Quote :

A society will be judged by how they rember their dead..``

Posthum Enemble with Tatiana Grindenko on Solo Violin

Attached Files:

8. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I think these are the same I have and I played them last night for the first time. Really nice and the sound is very okay for such an old Live recording - don't you agree ?

9. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

It really is a superb recital. I agree with some of the reviewers who call her Scarlatti sonatas bland. The rest, however, is crème de la crème.

10. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Yeah I hear ya!
    I VERY rarely find em that cheap.
    But I have given $5 for a normally $40 cd set before.
    Actually I have bought several Cd's for around $5 each Nrmt or Mt.
    Bought several LS SACD's for around $10 new.

** WOW almost to 1000 posts in this thread again! Sure don't take long anymore....more people now? **

11. George P

George P Notable Member

More listening, more buying, more chit-chat, more fun! :wave:

12. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

:cheers: :edthumbs:

13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I am planning on getting a center-channel speaker and an HT processor since I have all the extra amps I can put to good use. I will probably first get a universal player that can also play my growing classical music DVD collection as well, to be followed by an SACD player.

14. coopmv

It has to be better than the same recordings released by EMI. George can give you a much better lowdown of what MOT is capable of doing ...

15. coopmv

Just placed an order this evening on the following recordings. The building up of my early music collection continues ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. George P

George P Notable Member

I think you can sample them over at their website.

You can also sample Naxos's work, alongside other labels, by downloading the samples I have put in this folder:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=45732805cf458166c74064dd4c81b78ae18e115634b0aa6f

They are all the same performance, just different mastering.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

18. Damian72

For the age of the recording I think the sound is fantastic and the passionate performances more than make up for the technological limitations.

19. Damian72

I just can't say no...

Attached Files:

• 2cd.jpg
      2cd.jpg
      File size:
      41.5 KB
      Views:
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Hey Damian,

Rudolf Serkin is one of my favorites! If you see any of his recordings from the mono years, grab 'em! His technique declined in later years, though some of the early stereo stuff is great too! His 1960 Op. 110 is the best that I have ever heard!

21. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Britten: War Requiem - Helmuth Rilling/Stuttgart Festival Orchestra, Aurelius Boys Choir of Calw with Annette Dasch (sop), Christian Gerhaher (bass), James Taylor (ten) [Hänssler Classic 2008 2SACD, audiophile demo disc if I've ever heard one]

Attached Files:

22. Damian72

Thanks for the info, George. I'll definitely keep an eye out. :righton:

In other news I received and played the Living Stereo: Pines of Rome / Fountains of Rome / La Mer CD today. What a treat and I don't even have an SACD player to enjoy that aspect of the disc. I have the LS: Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra coming in the mail as well. Looking forward to that.

23. Damian72

I appreciate you posting these as I have much to learn about this period of music. Shines a bit of light on it all.

24. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Prokofiev: Symphony-Concerto, Op. 125 - Han-Na Chang; Antonio Pappano/London Symphony Orchestra [EMI Classics 2003, best version of this work, I prefer to Rostropovich/Sargent/RPO - Chang is a protégé of Rostropovich]

Attached Files:

25. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That Mozart disc was among the first 5 CDs I ever purchased, back in 1983. I no longer have it (having since purchased the Perahia, Anda and Bilson cycles). I wonder if you got my copy.

Just ordered the Boulez/Debussy box and a DVD of Lulu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.