Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #12)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have mixed experience with moviemar and have not dealt with them too often ...

2. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Conductors, like film directors, seem to be unlikable egotists, but there are always exceptions-------seems like Bruno Walter was a likeable guy, am i wrong?

3. So do I. Now playing:

[​IMG]

4. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Here are my two favourite Four Seasons. The third one is also kind of attractive punk cover version (although from time to time I prefer the fourth - a bigger band remake).

Attached Files:

5. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The third was a freebee in one of the national Sunday newspapers over here a year or so back.
    At one time I had a recording by Perlman on Angel (HMV/EMI UK) on XDR(tm) tape from about '84/5 I guess that I think had cd issue issue although like my cds back then trying to track it down was a pain with erratic supplies and the like.

6. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Smetana: Má Valst (Complete)
    Polish national radio symphony orchestra Antoni Wit (Cond)
    Naxos 8.550931 (r) 1994
    One very generously filled disc (79:38) of this work extremely well played and well worth buying at it's modest cost new. Penguin give it three stars.

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yep, that one has a different cover and is dirt-cheap at eBay.

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've heard a few nasty things about him. On the other hand, it probably came from Norman Lebrecht, who rarely has a good word to say about any conductor.

Kent Nagano may be a bit of an Egoist, but he is very likable and approachable. In any case, he's one of the great living conductors and a big Zappa/Beatles fan.

David Babbitt, who directed the San Francisco Bach Choir before dying altogether too young, seemed to be the living manifestation of every nice thing anyone ever said about Bruno Walter. He was devoid of ego, was a fantastic conductor and very, very likable.

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Nice! :thumbsup:

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Just to be clear, the Orchestra of St. Luke and the Y Chamber Orchestra (later renamed the the New York Chamber Symphony) were separate institutions. (Different religions for one thing - the Y is a YMHA :)) St. Luke's is still active. The NYCS lasted at the Y from the late 70's until the early 90's. I was involved with the Y for much of that period, and saw many of their concerts. At their peak, they performed about 20 times a year (paired performances). Their performances ranged, naturally, but at the time they were well-respected - I was just looking through their reviews at the NY times web site. Most vividly, I recall a searing performance of Schubert's 9th (which involved about as many players as could fit on the stage) that rivals any version I've heard.

11. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

This morning listening session:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!

Yum!

13. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Amazingly, I dont think the Jordi Savall Brandenburgs will be my favourite version....seems somewhat disorganized...but its probably a bias from listening to different versions...

Hopefully I can warm up to this interpretation.

14. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Happy and Safe 4th to all my Fellow Classical CD Hounds!

[​IMG]

:cheers:

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It's my favorite version, hands down. Savall understands and integrates the French Baroque style in places where it normally doesn't go, including Bach. His recordings of Bach tend to be a little slower and more expressive than Pinnock's or MAK's. There's a zaftig quality to his sound production, a tonally generous interpretation of historically informed performance practice.

And if you don't have this already, grab it before it goes away:

[​IMG]

16. Graphyfotoz

Coop and George......

I got it coming....$7.50 New shipped :righton:

[​IMG]

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It's still gonna go Dum—dee dee dee dum dee dee, Dum—dee dee dee dum dee deeDee dum dee dee dee dum Dum . . .

18. coopmv

That Norman Lebrecht has become a mean and nasty fellow in his old age. Didn't he deliver a scathing attack on HvK on the latter's 100th birthday 2 years ago? He blamed the current state and the possible eventual demise of classical music on the exorbitant conducting fees HvK charged. Hey, we live in a capitalist world. Conductors can demand high conducting fees just like a mediocre baseball players who make on average $1MM a year ...

19. coopmv

Agree. I bought this excellent CD a few months ago ...

20. Graphyfotoz

Well heck all my CD's do that!!! :D

21. coopmv

Yeah, some vintage audio gears here - both tube and SS.

22. coopmv

You probably ordered it from Amazon MP. Amazon itself wants a bit more than $7.50 IIRC ...

23. Graphyfotoz

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

25. coopmv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.