Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #17)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I found the Bernstein Symphony box set on amazon.com for $97 about a week ago. They've since moved it up to $150. I don't see it at all on mdt.co.uk yet.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD2 from this set, which arrived earlier in the week for a first listen. Two more versions of WTC will be in my collection by end of this month ...

[​IMG]

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

$150 must be the full retail price, and Amazon can easily drop it again, after all, the set hasn't been released in America yet. In Europe JPC still has it on pre-order offer for 70 euros = 100 bucks.

4. coopmv

This does not appear to be a box I would pursue. I generally like Bernstein with the VPO more.

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Trust me or not, but the only Bernstein-related recording I have got so far is this West Side Story Highlights vinyl from 1970. And Lenny doesn't even conduct it, so for me he's still a pretty obscure person (or was it my inner self which decided to save his schmaltz for last?). :hide: Thus, this new LP-sized box set at the very least would be a nice pairing for my lonely Supraphon LP. :laugh:

Attached Files:

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It is supposed to be released in the US on Nov 22, 1963, and the one in the UK on Nov 1.

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

1963?! Do you suggest me to buy this car in order to be able to get Lenny's set? Could it be called "bargain" after that? :D

Attached Files:

8. coopmv

Now playing CD7 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

Is this the only Eugene Ormandy's big box currently available? Is something more comprehensive about to be available soon?

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

11. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Kewel!

12. coopmv

Now playing CD8 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

13. Emerlist Davjack

Emerlist Davjack New Member

It is an essential recording.Both RCA recordings from the 40s,Hanson's own,and Koussevitsky's are nice too.If anybody remembers Ars Antiqua's "Rarissima" lists where he blew out his acetates,and test pressings,I got a pair of 1940s 10" 33 1/3 lacquers with the Koussevitsky recording.Sometimes that is my favorite recording of it,other times,it's the stereo one by Hanson himself.

14. Emerlist Davjack

Emerlist Davjack New Member

I love "The Wasps".Boult recorded many times,the one he did for Westminster in the early 50s may be my favorite of his.My all time favorite recording of it,is the 1946 one by Sir Malcolm Sargeant,and The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic,done for Columbia UK.I heard it a couple of years ago,as a blog download,and have been trying to track it down since.

I have the "Antarctica" on the ASD Lp,it isn't one of my favorite RVW works.

15. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

my new arrivals...boy I love my postman!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That's the film score (and Natalie Wood is not singing). I saw the Broadway revival this aftenoon. The music really retains its vigor after 53 years (as does most of the choreography). The libretto and lyrics are more spotty.

17. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I enjoy the two Stockholm Quartet discs.

18. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Great Modern Day Violinist!

Well we all have our favorite Instrument performer and it's nice to showcase one of em now and then here.
    For Violin present day I hafta say mine is Andrew Manze!

[​IMG]

Info about Him:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Manze

Manze won Gramophone, Edison, and Cannes Classical awards for his recording with Romanesca of Biber's flashy and mystical violin sonatas. His playing of Vivaldi's newly discovered "Manchester" sonatas won the Premio Internazionale del Disco Vivaldi Antica Italiana. His album Phantasticus won the Cannes Classical Award and a Diapason D'Or. The later award was also given to his recording of Schmelzer's violin sonatas. Manze was named the 1998 Classical Artist of the Year.

I dropped the gavel on yet another of His Penguin Guide Award winners for my collection.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Harmonia+Mundi/HMU907332

[​IMG]

Coupla others I have of His which are just spectacular and also award winners.

[​IMG]-[​IMG]

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I recorded Andrew Manze in concert twice, the second time was the last performance of Romansesca. Mr. Manze performed Biber's "Sonata Representativa," and produced the funniest—and most plausible—Frog sound in that section of the work. Wonderful fiddler.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Morning all! :wave:

Now playing (first spin) -

Mozart
    K 281, 398, 397, 310
    Emil Gilels
    DG

21. Hey George. :wave:

Why wait? Heck, it was snowing in Caglary this past Friday.

Christopher Hogwood/The Academy Of Ancient Music - Corelli · Torelli -Christmas Concertos/Concertos de Noél
    L'oiseau Lyre - DECCA U.K. - 1983

[​IMG]

Deadwax - 420 on both sides

LP also features Werner, Gossec, Handel, Vejvanovský , and JS Bach.

Found this LP at a thrift store a couple of months ago for $2. Have had the original CD since the mid 1980s. Didn't know this was ever released on vinyl until I saw it at the store.

22. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

i heard beethoven's violin concerto in d major performed by issac perlman for the first time yesterday -- it blew my mind! i am so overwhelmed by getting into classical music -- so much to learn!

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Very true, but well worth the effort IMO.

It helps to have a guide, I think.

This book has led me to hundreds of great recordings:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Mus...6386/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1287324872&sr=8-3

24. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

On the strength of these recommendations, I am ordering it this morning. Don't know how I missed it when it came out . . . now I have to pay $19 for the SACD used. No biggie.

Really? I think the "Hanson Plays American Masterworks" set I have is terrific, some of the best mid-century American sound.

I love that symphony -- if I may humbly recommend the Kurt Sanderling mono recording on DG. One of my favorite recordings of all time.

Zimerman's second recording of the Chopin concertos got some negative press as being self-indulgent, IIRC, but I loved it. Broad and beautiful, good sound.

I love Haydn sonatas and do not have a set on fortepiano -- do you like it?

25. Those Opus 3 are nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.