Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #20)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S

John S Forum Resident

Happy New Year!

In the tray: CD1

Mozart
    Piano Concerto No. 19, KV 459
    Piano Concerto No. 20, KV 466 (d minor)
    Rondo in D, KV 382
    Piano Concerto No. 23, KV 488

Alfred Brendel, piano
    Sir Neville Marriner
    Academy of St Martin in-the-Fields

[​IMG]

Yes, I know it's Middlin' Marriner and his buddy Bren-dull, but this is the only set I have that has my two favorites back-to-back in order (Nos. 19 & 20).:rolleyes:

KV 459's first movement is brilliant enough. The Allegretto is average (for Wolfie). But here's the deal: About 4 minutes into the third movement -- ±15 seconds,depending on the particular recording -- the violins sing the second theme (stated initially in the low strings in the first minute), igniting a glorious fughetta. It is one of the most exhilarating minutes in all of music. Everytime I hear it my arms start flailing in auto-air conduct mode. Funny how the little things grab you sometimes.

Mozart's first minor key piano concerto (No. 20) speaks for itself. Small wonder the producers of Amadeus used it on the soundtrack. It is also understandable that KV 466 has been the Mozart PC on concert programs for many years. My only nit to pick is the third theme at the end of the work. It was convention of the day for the last movement of works like this to reflect the mood of the first movement, only lighter. At first the movement does this brialliantly, with its Mannheim rocket in the opening theme. Things develop nicely until Mozart introduces a skippy little D major theme near the end, which does not fit the overall tone of this work -- clashes, in fact. I believe this was a copout by Mozart to the audience tastes of the day. One simply did not end instrumantal works like this (especially concertos) on a sad note in those days. I have, however, heard the work so many times that I've gotten used to it. It is what it is, and only Mozart could pull off this so seamlessly.

2. And I've just ordered the Blu Ray from Amazon uk. Sure hope it's as good as the recommendation.

Best Wishes
    David

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing some downloaded music - Argerich Beethoven - Sonata No.7, Op10, 3 I received from a friend a while back ... :winkgrin:

Attached Files:

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have always liked Tchaikovsky's first symphony even though it is always siad to be far below his others in regards to greatness. :cheers:

5. coopmv

Rosty was excellent ... :righton:

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, Winter Dreams (the 1st) is lovely.

7. Nice, will have to add it to my harmonia mundi list.

8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Doh!!! didn't even check to see if it was available on BluRay :realmad:

9. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Oh I have several Vocal Works and really enjoy em.
    Cambridge Singers on Collegium Records Label just about any CD with them Conducted by John Rutter is excellent!
    The Tallis Scholars is another excellent group of Singers on Gimell Label!!

Can sum that one up in one word......SPECTACULAR!! :righton:

10. Graphyfotoz

George and or Stuart.....
    How is this Peter Hill on Piano?

Been looking at this Set for awhile....no sound bites I have found for it yet tho.

[​IMG]

Or should I hold out for this one that is a Grammophone 2002 Editor Choice Winner?
    (Lil more costly of a set tho....But I know Osborne is quality)

[​IMG]

11. Rose River Bear

I gave the Hill disc away after hearing Osborne.

hill.JPG

What do you guys think?

12. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I have not heard Lugansky yet, so I probably ought to be more careful about sweeping pronouncements, but it is inconceivable to me that there is a better performance on record of Rachmaninov's Third Piano Concerto than Andsnes's this year. (Note I say "performance on record" instead of just "recording," because there's some distracting breathing in the recording; dynamic, detailed digital sound, but not a perfect recording.) All of the virtuosity necessary is there, but it is not show-offy; it is mysterious, beguiling, beautiful, romantic. There are others I would never want to be without (Janis, e.g.), and maybe there's just as good or important (I don't often do strict comparisons), but there is none better IMO.

Agreed. What a shame, too, given the talent; maybe he'll mature.

Likewise I'm not eagerly anticipating Y. Wang's Rachmaninoff, but if there are very strong reviews here and elsewhere I may throw down for it.

Nos. 23 & 24, with the Philharmonia, correct. Gieseking is one of my very favorite pianists. The guy had it all -- virtuosity, power, poetry & sensitivity, enormous repertoire covering my favorite items in the pianistic canon (though there is no extant complete recording of Brahms's Second Piano Concerto AFAIK by him). Anyone else with me?

13. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

This post cries out for more explanation and background. You may provide it in a PM if you prefer to keep it private. :) Scott, we must stick together as classical fans who hope to see other conferences beat SEC teams. :)

14. Did you hear about that guy called DON QUIJOTE DE LA MANCHA. :laugh:;)

15. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

:righton:
    Yes, Happy New Year to all.

16. Graphyfotoz

I can understand that after owning and listening to this one of Osborne!
    I don't know Peter Hill so I didn't know how the two compared.

[​IMG]

17. 926am

926am Senior Member

[​IMG]

This is the one I have, I liked it better than the Hill version.

18. Scott Wheeler

Nah can't do it in PMs. Not fair to everyone else. what part needs further explanation? I will happily explain myself. I hold myself fully acountable. :D

19. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Ha ha, I was only kidding about PM's. But there's some story definitely worth hearing in there . . . How do you end up in a discussion with some laddie-book cover model about her makeup and hair? And in Bulgaria?

20. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I think I got that set for like $5 from BMG a couple years ago. It's fantastic.

21. coopmv

I am not familiar with Peter Hill and works by Oliver Messiaen are too modern for me and as such, I really cannot offer any opinion. I have the Rachmaninoff CD by Steven Osborne and liked what I heard. Osborne appears to be an excellent pianist ...

22. coopmv

I have heard about the Cambridge Singers but do not own any of their recordings. I have almost run out of CD's by the Tallis Scholars to buy.

I am glad you like that Christmas CD on CRD. I enjoy the more formal Christmas music and am too old for such selections as the Little Drummer Boy ...
    :winkgrin:

23. Rose River Bear

Currently spinning the Pictures at an Exhibition from this disc. One of the greatest live piano performances caught on disc IMHO. Anyone else agree?

richter.jpg

24. coopmv

Now playing CD7 and the last CD from this set for a first listen. Monica Groop was the ideal mezzo-soprano for these works and this is a wonderful set IMO ...

[​IMG]

25. Scott Wheeler

Two different events.

In Bulgaria I showed the youtube videos to Steven Lange and Rose McGowan. They were both impressed by her musicianship. For some reason Rose felt Yuja Wang was in desperate need of work in the hair department.

I met Yuja Wang at the Santa Fe chamber music festival. She gave me an autograph and posed for a picture with me. We shot the breeze for all of about a minute or two. It came up that I am a makeup artist. She seemed to think that was cool and said she loves that kind of stuff. So I told her if she ever needed a makeup artist I'd love to do the honors and I gave her my email address. But alas, I have not recieved an email.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.