Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #27)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Did you pay $137, George? Oy.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

No, got it from an overseas seller for $38 shipped. Still pricey, but I am a big fan of the pianist - and it's got an OBI. :laugh:

3. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I will have to watch for his CDs. I thought the name was familiar. I have one CD in the Liszt piano series on Naxos, however I do not recommend it. I think that is mostly because of the compositions which do not translate to transcriptions very well in my opinion. Below is the bio from the Naxos notes.

GekicLiszt (2).jpg

[​IMG]

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Oh, an obi. Say no more.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I also thought that his name is familiar. I know that I have a cd of his where he plays the Etudes Transcendante of Liszt but for some reason I cannot locate it right now.

6. George P

That's a great CD.

This one is my favorite by him (amazon only has two copies left): http://www.amazon.com/Kemal-Gekic-L...89IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311117843&sr=8-1

Listen to the Chopin Scherzo from that CD here

7. John S

John S Forum Resident

From the "Things I wish I'd written" file ...

Re: M2 first movement:

8. John S

John S Forum Resident

Not me. I have to draw the line in the sand sometime. I'm just afraid I'll wake up someday an realize it's not my favorite M symphony anymore ...

9. George P

Now playing, from Liszt's last pupil:

Attached Files:

10. Jay F

Jay F New Member

You will. And you won't listen to it again forever. Or until it comes back to be your favorite again some day.

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I hope you paid less than $138, the price I saw on Amazon US ...

12. George P

Yes, $100 less, but then I changed my mind and cancelled the order. I don't have the cash right now and I am not going to go into debt.

13. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Both Presto and MDT show it as being in stock. And MDT is having a special on all their LPO items right now...

14. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Tonight I pulled out a 1995 RCA Victor Red Seal disc:

Faure: Complete Works for Cello. Steven Isserlis/Pascal Devoyon. 1995. It was recorded at Abbey Road by Mark Vigars.

FaureIsserlis.jpg

I don't have any other version to compare , but it sounded fine to me.

15. Soundproof

Soundproof Member

Big laugh, if you're in the mood for it. I ordered Classic Records' reissue of the Jorda/de Falla "Three Cornered Hat" Everest recording, thinking that if it compared favorably to my original, I would order their full set of remasters of the originals.

Got it today.

1. Classic Records (Grundman) have switched the left and right channels. Seriously, they have.
    2. The dynamics that make the original near incredible to listen to are gone.
    3. They've hammocked the recording - everything's in the left and right speaker (though the wrong way around). The rich orchestral soundscape of the original is completely gone. The hole in the middle is ridiculous when you compare to the original.

There's absolutely no connection whatsoever between Classical Records' claims about the work they've done, and the result on the vinyl. It's inconceivable that they have compared their output to an original - the difference is not night and day, it's absolute zero compared to the surface temperature of Betelgeuse.

Avoid the one on the left - and if you've bought one, claim a refund.

[​IMG]

16. George P

Wow, thanks for the info, Soundproof!

17. Soundproof

Soundproof Member

Actually quite shocking. I was prepared for a certain loss of information in the treble-region (as per a review over at Positive Feedback).
    But this was beyond silly - FUBARed.

I'm comparing the CR-reissue against this Everest-issue:

[​IMG]

18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I stopped buying Classic Records LPs after I became tired of their lack of quality control, especially in their 200 gr releases. It's such a PIA to have to return these only to receive a similarly bad pressed record.

19. jdsher

jdsher Forum Resident

Listened to one of my recent "used bin" finds last night. Sounds great after a good clean on my RCM.
    [​IMG]
    Happy listening,
    Jon

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

That's a great record and it sounds fine contrary to most Angel releases. :righton:

21. jdsher

jdsher Forum Resident

I'm kind of new to collecting classical vinyl. The few Angel recordings I have play well. My favorites tend to be the Philips, CBS Masterworks, DG Tulips, Mercury Living Presence, and RCA Living Stereo. Right now I'm looking for composers and artists I know and then look at the pressing afterward.
    Jon

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not to be confused with a bottle-beaked T.W.I.T.

If you find any of London's orange & silver labeled Stereo Treasury Series reissues you should take a closer look at them. Many are from older Decca/London stampers. many have fantastic performances and sound quality. Much like getting a Blue-Backed London but almost always a lot cheaper.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yeah I have found the Angel pressings being hit or miss.
    Almost all the Phillips that I have sound great but some can be noisy, of course Mercury Living Presence and Living Stereo are classic and the best on account of their sound quality are the Decca/London pressings.

24. George P

Now playing:

[​IMG]

25. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Now Playing:

[​IMG]

J.S. BACH - 6 Schübler Chorales, BWV 645-650 / Fantasia in G, BWV 572 / Partita, BWV 768

Daniel Chorzempa, organ
    (CD, Philips, 412 117-2)

Love it, Love it! :love:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.