Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #27)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Daniel Chorzempa is the best American organist of his generation. He is miles ahead of Michael Murray ...

2. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Sorry for the late reply......
    This one by Alfven is excellent....only one I have so far!

[​IMG]

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've been spinning this one a bit lately, good sound, and not too bad a fiddle.

Attached Files:

4. Growl

Growl Member

Now playing :

[​IMG]

Can't keep myself from feeling sad today...

5. Graphyfotoz

Just bought this Canzonetta to add to my King's Noyse works.
    Another nice HM out of print for the Collection!!

[​IMG]

6. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • De Falla: El Amor Brujo - Nan Merriman (mezzo-soprano); Leopold Stokowski / New York Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra [Pristine Audio 2009, recorded at Carnegie Hall, March 21, 1948, sourced from tapes in the Jack Baumgarten archive from the collection of Edward Johnson, tape transfers and mono XR remastering by Andrew Rose at Pristine Audio, June/July 2009 -- magical!]

Attached Files:

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Eddie did you download that from the Pristine web site or did you order the cd? I was wondering what would be the best choice.

8. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I do 16-bit downloads, usually mono but sometimes Ambient Stereo, just depends what I think of the sample. Furtwangler Beethoven 9 sounds much better in mono, for instance. Other stuff is pretty good in the Stereo (Ferrier Das Lied). I can't believe I'm saying that -- Ambient Stereo is cool!, there I said it again :cool: -- but I decided to try out (or, buy) some of the Pristine stuff -- like this one and this one -- and I really dig it now that it's on my HD. The one that sold me was Désormière's Pelléas et Mélisande, issued -- or, published -- last week, and which sounds incroyable. I downloaded some of the Schnabel Beethoven Piano Sonatas over the weekend and it sounds very good in mono. Other versions I have are Mark Obert-Thorn on Naxos Historical and the dreaded EMI CD's (Hardwick's transfers for 1979 HMV LP's are superb, btw, I've heard them). I am liking some of this Pristine stuff, interventionism and all. Tastefully done, some better than others, of course, but I must give Rose credit -- his model, along with just-launched Spotify (awesome), seem to be changing me much quicker than I ever anticipated, or thought possible, with regard to the idea of 'physical media forever'. A couple TB G drives are looking mighty appealing. (And some choice vinyl and favorite multi-channel SACD's, of course.)

Attached Files:

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks Eddie,
    these look cool, there is a lot of stuff in the Pristine site that I am interested, I will definitely download a few. I don't have a server based system so I will burn the 16-bit FLACs to a CD for now.

10. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Yeah and the visual result is somewhat Ecsheresque.

11. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I am enjoying again the Pierne 2011 disc from Chandos. I thought I might have mentioned it before, but a search of the previous corner threads didn't turn it up. It has the Piano Concerto with Jean-Efflam Bavouzet and various orchestral works with Juanjo Mena and the BBC Philharmonic. Very good sound.
    Today I enjoyed the Divertissements sur un Theme Pastoral and the Marche des petits soldats de plomb. The latter was originally written in 1887 for an album of easy piano pieces. Pierne later issued an orchestral version. It is only 3 minutes but it has some charm.

PierneBavouzet.jpg

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just placed an order consisting of the following CD's this evening to fill in some gaps in my collection ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Now playing CD 2 (February and June/July 1912 recordings) from:

[​IMG]

I am enjoying this CD more than the first one. More tenderness and poetry here. Transfers by Seth Winner. Amazing sound, considering how old these recordings are.

14. Graphyfotoz

What is a good price on this??

15. George P

16. Graphyfotoz

I have had this one for several years......EXCELLENT recording!! :righton:

[​IMG]

17. George P

Kondrashin is one of the few conductors that have never let me down. I buy anything I see from him with confidence. :agree:

18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Agreed.
    He is one of my favorite Russian conductors together with Svetlanov.

19. Graphyfotoz

ABSOLUTELY!!
    This one is also excellent available on RCA Living Stereo or MHS.
    A MUST HAVE for any collection! :righton:

[​IMG]

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Have you heard his Mahler set on Melodiya? Every symphony except 2 and 8. Tonight, I just bought his Shostakovich Symphonies 6 & 9 LP, live 1980 recordings with Concertgebouw Orchestra, for two bucks minty fresh.

21. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Tonight it was the Faure Violin Sonatas on the budget label Helios from Hyperion. Originally released in 1988. Played by Krysia Osostowicz and Susan Tomes. They are both excellent, but I am not familiar with either one. It has some excellent recommendations - Fanfare, Penguin, BBC.

faureViolinKrysia.jpg

22. Growl

Growl Member

Now playing :

[​IMG]

"Turandot", for the first time. Wow. Great atmosphere. Love all the oriental sounds, gongs and all.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I don't have the Melodiya Mahler set but I have the 1st from Audiophile Classics, the 7th with the Concertgebouw (Tahra) and a recording of the 9th recorded live in Tokyo in the sixties.
    This 9th is very "Russian" and by this I mean that there is this peculiar -out-of-tune- sound of the brass, kind of irritating actually, but so characteristic of Russian orchestras.
    Other than that, this is a very good performance.

I also have the complete set of his recordings of Shostakovich with the Moscow Philharmonic which I consider among the best readings of these works. There are couple of different editions of those with the best being the latest (2006) Melodiya release.

Unfortunately I don't have any of his Shostakovich with the Concertgebouw but I know that these are also very well regarded. That was a cool find for only too bucks. :righton:

24. George P

Yep, that's the one I got. With the John Lennon shades on the cover, right? :cool:

Still haven't made my way through it yet.

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Great choices. Some are at the top of my listening choices and are considered classics by critics. :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.