Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Way Down Now

The one I have was recorded at The Maltings, Snape, 14 June 1999. Is that the one you got?

He has a nice feel for this music, though it does seem a little rushed in spots. I think Richter has ruined me for other interpretations (and he didn't even record this one!), he plays these sonatas significantly slower than others. I like it because it gives you time to take it all in.

I have a nice performance of this by Grigory Sokolov. He's slower in every movement except the last. This is an approach that Richter took to the Schubert sonatas. I wonder if Sokolov was influenced by Richter?

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The Brendel 2-CD set I received yesterday are live recordings. I can hear all the applause but no cellphone rings (thank God :thumbsup:) ...

3. coopmv

Now playing disc 1

Attached Files:

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

She recorded one of my top choice accounts of the Schubert impromptus for Vox sometime around the turn of the '60s. She also recorded the Mozart sonatas twice, once for Denon and once for Philips. The former set has acquired a certain fame as the one pirated for much-lauded issues under Joyce Hatto's name.

Incidentally, on the subject of fortepianos, Haebler played one in recordings she made for Philips of music by J.C. Bach.

5. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Sokolov

Very much so, IMHO. Sokolov is not very well-known because of his reluctance to record (especially studio recordings) and his spotty recital schedule, but he is an incredible talent. I just ordered this 2008 release the other night.

Attached Files:

6. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Ein Deutsches Requiem

Now watching:
    • Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem - Herbert von Karajan/Berliner Philharmoniker, Wiener Singverein, Gundula Janowitz (soprano), Jose Van Dam (tenor).
      DG 2008, from Unitel broadcast 1978.

Attached Files:

7. coopmv

I have this excellent DVD. The same recording was made for EMI a few years earlier with Anna Tomowa-Sintow instead of Gundula Janowitz. This DVD was also the last recording Janowitz ever made with HvK ...

Attached Files:

8. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I have that recording you mention on LP, found last month in minty condition for $3 :). It is superb, I agree. I would like to get HvK's 1947 EMI account, remastered in 2007 for Naxos Historical and not available in USA.

Attached Files:

9. coopmv

Few conductors can rival HvK when it comes to Brahms German Requiem. Colin Davis may come close and I have this recording on both CD and VHS ...

Attached Files:

10. coopmv

Now playing: Vivaldi: L'estro armonico Disc 2
    Fabio Biondi: Europa Galante

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

The presence of Schwarzkopf and Hotter won a not terribly pristine copy of the 10-record 1947 set a place in my collection, one of von K.'s few representations there:

Attached Files:

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I have only listened to the first CD (Sym. Nos. 1 & 3), over headphones. I liked what I heard.

That's a great price at mdt, though: $20.89 USD, plus 75p x 5 for shipping. All kinds of great prices on Warner Music CDs: http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/pages/search/searchresults.asp?ctgry=CD&sFilter1=Warnerbox1008

14. coopmv

15. coopmv

$40 for the Complete Bach Organ Works by Marie-Claire Alain. I think I will get my 6th CD-set on these works after the New Year ...

16. George P

George P Way Down Now

Finishing up this set from last night, a recent acquisition:

[​IMG]

She benefits from great sound, full dynamic range in her playing and an overall very romantic reading. Recommended!

Not easy to find, but amazon has a few copies.

17. coopmv

I have a number of her CD's on Bach's Goldberg Variations, Partitias and Scarlatti's Sonatas. I just have not played those CD's in quite a while.

Attached Files:

18. George P

George P Way Down Now

I need to get her complete EMI Bach recordings for sure. What do you make of them?

19. coopmv

You never owned any of her recordings before?

20. coopmv

Here is a link on Maria Tipo. She has been around for quite a while. Most of us have always thought Pollini is the only outstanding pianist Italy has produced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Tipo

21. George P

George P Way Down Now

I haven't. I think I have a live CD that I got awhile back, otherwise, nothing.

BTW, just sent you a message.

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Oh, I wouldn't quite say that--don't forget Michelangeli and Busoni. For that matter, don't forget Ciccolini, although admittedly he's really more of an adoptive French son. Based on scanty evidence, I'd say that Maurizio Zanini is another candidate (that scanty evidence being a superb--and, alas, now out of print--account of Reger's Telemann Variations, my absolute top recommendation of that score; I was less impressed with a disc of Schubert sonatas). As to Tipo, I'd advise anyone not to miss her Scarlatti, which is an excellent example of how that music should be played if transported to the piano. MHS issued a two-LP set that turns up now and again, derived from Dischi Ricordi masters (LPs on the latter label generally emulate poultry molars on this side of the Atlantic).

PS: Orazio Frugoni may not be quite in the same class as Michelangeli, but he made some very interesting recordings, including the first of Mendelssohn's two double-piano concerti.

23. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I know. Isn't it something?

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Good morning all,

this is what plays this morning...

W.A. Mozart
    Mass in C minor K. 427
    Masonic Funeral Music

Le Concert d' Astree
    Louis Langree

[​IMG]

W.A. Mozart
    Flute Concerto in G, K. 313
    Concerto for Flute and Harp in C, K. 299
    Concerto for Clarinet in A, K. 622

Emmanuel Pahud - Flute
    Marie-Pierre Langlamet - Harp
    Sabine Meyer - Basset Clarinet

Berliner Philharmoniker/Claudio Abbado

[​IMG]

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Unfortunately I never heard of Tipo.

On the other hand, as pointed out, Michelangeli is a great pianist.

I have this box set of ten cds, which Amazon sells for only 30.97, and his Debussy is impressive.

Here is the link

Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.