Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I'm liking this Mahler 7 now that I've had time to listen to it without any distractions. It still reminds me of Bernstein, but I guess I will compare anyone doing Mahler to Bernstein. The sound is wonderful.

Attached Files:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I should have said the living pianists that hail from Italy ...

3. coopmv

I have one CD by MTT and am not particularly impressed. He may be comparable to Leonard Slatkin but I do not think he is in the same league as LB ...

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Which one? I didn't like MTT's M6 or M4 -- sold them, even -- but I do like his M3 a lot. I haven't heard any of the rest.

5. coopmv

I think it is either some Rachmaninoff's or Gershwin's works. It is not Mahler's.

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Ohhhhhhh. I thought you meant from this Mahler series.

I have a disc by MT-T and Sarah Vaughan, doing Gershwin. It's pretty good, though I prefer an Ormandy 2-LP set called The Gershwin Album. I wish that exact album would come out on CD, but so far, I've never found it.

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have two LPs with Ormandy contributing in Gershwin works and they are both great.

1) Levant plays Gershwin (Columbia).
    With Ormandy in Rhapsody in Blue, Rodzinski in An American in Paris, and Kostelanetz in Concerto in F.

2) Gershwin's Greatest Hits (Columbia Masterworks).
    With Bernstein in Rhapsody in Blue, Levant in Three Preludes, Ormandy in An American in Paris and Porgy and Bess-A Symphonic Picture

Also I have Andre Kostelanetz and his Orchestra (Columbia) with Alec Templeton in An American in Paris and Rhapsody in Blue.

I think I might have more Gershwin LPs but these are my favorites.

8. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Mahler 7

I really like Barenboim's Mahler 7 with Staatskapelle Berlin (Warner Classics 2006). His Ninth is pretty good, too.

Attached Files:

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I'm very much listening to the M7 right now, and I ordered this just last night. Thanks, Eddie.

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

11. coopmv

The box set for MOZART Complete Sacred Music for under $40 at MDT is an insanely low price ...

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I keep thinking about the complete Scarlatti sonatas. I love Scarlatti and have a terrific three disc sampling by Scott Ross, but I just can't imagine listening to 555 sonatas.

Also looking at the Haydn sonatas, Concerto Koln, some of the Prokofiev discs (and on and on).

13. coopmv

I hear you. I would have problems relating to 555 sonatas too. While Scarlatti was an accomplished composer in his own right, he was no JS Bach.

14. coopmv

Jay, We are now 12 posts away from part four ...

15. coopmv

Even if many of these WarnerMusic box sets are so attractively priced at MDT, I am not sure if I want to get the Bach WTC by Daniel Barenboim. To me, Barenboim is a competent pianist, but he is not in the same league as the likes of Glenn Gould, Angela Hewitt when it comes to Bach keyboard works. I will not buy a CD set purely on price.

16. coopmv

Now playing: Purcell: Odes for St. Cecilia's Day; Music for Queen Mary Disc 1

Attached Files:

17. George P

George P Way Down Now

you may want to read a few reviews on that one. I recall it wasn't well recieved.

18. George P

George P Way Down Now

19. coopmv

George, Daniel Barneboim just jumped on the Bach keyboard bandwagon. I do not see any previous recordings he made as a pianist that he should be an excellent interpreter of JS Bach keyboard works. OTOH, I found Martha Argerich's playing of JS Bach keyboard works impressive. But Martha Argerich is just very exceptional.

20. coopmv

George, Thanks for the link. I tend to use the tried-and-true approach when it comes to new recordings. I will go for recording artist with a proven track record for performing works of certain period. Barenboim really does not have any track record for performing works by Bach or Scarlatti. Unlike some collectors who just buy based on price, I am a discriminating collector. There is no reason for me to own any recordings that I do not truly enjoy.

21. coopmv

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It was $22.58 total for the Symphonies. Good deal. Thanks, John.

23. coopmv

Jay, Have you found any new Malher set you want to buy from MDT? :winkgrin:

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Did you (or anyone) buy the first volume of the WTC by Till Fellner? It got such good reviews, but I thought it sounded as if it had been recorded two rooms away with a blanket over Fellner and his piano.

25. coopmv

I do not. But here is a link on his upcoming world tour and his Beethoven Sonatas. George, what is your thought on Till Fellner with regard to Beethoven Piano Sonatas?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/08/arts/music/08till.html?ref=music

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.