Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #31)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

2. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Thanks for posting -- I just found out this is showing a theater in Philly next Tuesday; I think I'm going to go. The case looks phenomenal (although I don't really know the don, Peter Mattei).

3. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I picked up a Harmonia Mundi recorded in 1996 for under 4 bucks. It Bach's Solo & Double Violin Concertos with Andrew Manze and Rachel Podger and The Academy of Ancient Music. I am enjoying it, although the Largo in the Concerto in D Minor for Two Violins BWV1043, may not be my cup of tea. Maybe that section performance will grow on me?

ManzePodgerBach (2).jpg

4. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I think Esoteric SACD's are released by Esoteric, the high-end line made by TEAC whose SACD player runs about $5-6K each. I imagine they have to be a lot better than those RCA Living Stereo SACD's SQ wise ...

7. coopmv

And I probably paid $40 1980 Dollar for the set, which is at least $80 in today Dollar ...

8. coopmv

9. George P

Mine is powerful, reliable and has a tone control defeat switch.

I decided to go with Yamaha when my Onkyo amp died, as my last Yamaha CD player lasted me about 7 years.

10. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I'm hoping to get down there again this afternoon. Single LPs are $1, and all box sets are $5. I passed on the Solti M7 and the Bernstein M8 on DG the other day, but I may change my mind...

11. Edgard Varese

My Denon amp has a tone defeat switch (which they call "Pure Direct"). I wouldn't be without it now. :agree:

12. George P

Yes, mine is called Pure Direct too. The only time I shut it off these days is for stuff that has too much NR, so that I can goose the treble and get back some of those upper frequencies. Other than that, it's on 24/7.

13. coopmv

Yamaha gears are a few notches above Onkyo's.

14. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

If she liked Lohengrin, she'll like anything! Took her to Le nozze di Figaro last year, too, which was our second date. Gotta see how they look all dolled-up, right?! In 2009 I saw Shaham at Disney Hall with Dudamel and LA Phil, played the Berg Concerto...and how. One of the great artistic statements of the 20th century, IMO, and masterfully rendered by Shaham. Great introduction to this player. I'm sure the Brahms VC, one of my other favorite classical works, will be just as good, especially with 'The Aristocrat of Orchestras', which I have been wanting to hear for a long time. Great first concert for Christina, and just to get her feet wet, I bought tix for next week's all-Mozart concert as well, taking advantage of the LA Phil's special Black Friday sale on upcoming concerts. ... Just looked at the Phil web site, and it appears that Richard Goode has canceled. Who is Benedetto Lupo??

Saturday, December 17, 2011, 8 PM

Los Angeles Philharmonic
    Bernard Labadie, conductor
    Benedetto Lupo, piano

Mozart: Chaconne from Idomeneo ballet music
    Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 27, K. 595
    Mozart: Symphony No. 41, 'Jupiter'

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

These were LPs? Pick up the Bernstein. These are listed for major bucks on eBay.

16. Edgard Varese

Ok I will. If I see a Resurrection I will pick it up for you. :)

17. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

A little Beethoven by Harnoncourt tonight.

Attached Files:

19. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

deleted

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i'm listening to this again tonight on my new turntable,which arrived from Needle Doctor via UPS today.it's a Denon DP-300F with Ortofon 2M Red cartridge & the improvement isn't subtle.this is,as i thought,a very good-sounding LP.

21. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Deal of the Day™

Amazon is currently selling Frescobaldi's Complete Works For Keyboard on the Italian label, Tactus, for $11.64 (84% off). Judging from the price listed on the label's web site, I believe it to be an error in listing. Released in November 2010, this 12CD set is a compilation of individual releases overseen by label founder, the late Serafino Rossi (1927-2009). Composed between 1608 and 1645, recorded between 1986 and 2004 on organ and harpsichord.

Merry Christmas!

[​IMG]

22. Thanks for the heads up, I grabbed a copy. :cheers:

23. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Frescobaldi

Review from another site:

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Glad you like it. I think that's a great series.
    Unfortunately a couple of misinformed people on the RCA LS SACD thread rubished one of those discs and so, without even hearing them, some people have written them all off as badly mastered. Absolutely ridiculous.

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Why do you say that? Be it a $5 or $50 cd makes no difference to getting the SQ right. The price tag is all to do with the exclusive nature of the Esoteric releases and the market they aim at, it doesn't mean they are that much better than a $10 SACD released elsewhere.

The reviews have been very good but there is absolutely no reason why DG can't release these in Europe for a fraction of the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.