Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #33)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

I have my Moravec cds spread throughout my collection....I need to consolidate them. I am considering doing that with a handful of performers that I seek out more so for their playing (ie Serkin) than the composer they are addressing.

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Even better than Yankee, Hotel, Foxtrot? :D

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I only vaguely know where my set is. I still have not migrated all the Bach CD's to the dedicated spinning tower to free up space for hundreds of other CD's that have been sitting in umpteen small boxes on the floor of my music room ... :sigh:

4. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Just make sure you keep 'em close, Stuart and not store them at a facility where these goomers might lay their hands on them down the road:D:

[​IMG]

PS For the record, I love this show!

5. coopmv

Just placed the order on the following recordings, all SACD's ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. coopmv

What a crew? :winkgrin:

7. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

I'm listening to Jean-Efflam Bavouzet's Haydn Piano Sonatas, Vol. 1 right now via MOG, and it's got me thinking that I would like a complete set of these sonatas. I've had the Naxos set by Jando on my Amazon wish list for a while, but there may be other options.

Opinions on various recordings appreciated.

--Geoff

8. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

14 pages of discussion here.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,10864.msg187907.html#msg187907

Just depends on the style you want and on what instument you prefer. I have the McCabe set (piano) and the Ursula Dütschler set that comes with the giant Haydn box set from Brilliant. Sample, sample, sample, but start with what these folks rec. as they have done just that.:)

9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yes, that one is the remaster. I bet the original sounds better.

It's good, but not great, IMO.

10. George P

This one is awesome!!

[​IMG]

11. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Speaking of sonatas, I believe I will start my day with some Wolfie. I will just grab a few out of this box and let them fall into the tray as they will.

[​IMG]

12. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

For Haydn, don't you enjoy Piazzini as well, George? But did she wipe out the cycle?

13. George P

I have a separate shelf for recital piano CDs with more than one composer, but normally, I like to go by composer in chronological order. However, one pianist gets a shelf for all of his recordings. You'll never guess who it is. :D

Attached Files:

14. George P

I can think of no better way to start the day, well, at least musically speaking, that is. :shh:

15. George P

Haven't heard of Piazzini.

Lili Kraus is best for Mozart sonatas in my book. She plays these work with a bit more muscle and forward momentum than most performers, I think. Yet the music remains beautiful and elegant. She did a stereo and a mono set. The stereo has better sound and the performances are pretty much as good, IMO. Sample a sonata from the stereo set here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKAT5MNV1b8 Stereo set (not sure if the newer one with the white cover is the same mastering or not):

[​IMG]

Mono set (M&A):

[​IMG]

16. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Does it rhyme with Bichter?

17. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Sorry, I was still talking Haydn at this point.

18. George P

Ah, I actually haven't heard him in any composer.

19. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

I've just discovered that the Jando Haydn Complete Piano Sonatas 10CD set is available for streaming via MOG. W00t! Time for another listen to justify any purchase.

There's also the Uchida Mozart Piano Sonatas shown above, as well as quite a few 10CD Original Jacket collections from Rubinstein, Horowitz, etc. Gotta love MOG for classical music!

--Geoff

20. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

The post to which you replied mentioned both Bavouzet and Jando for the Haydn sonatas ... I'm assuming you meant the Jando?

--Geoff

21. George P

I'd never, ever call Jando awesome. Sorry, my image linked disappeared. It was this:

[​IMG]

22. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

There's a stereo set by Lili Kraus on MOG ... listening to it now ... nice. It's this one, apparently a late 60s recording reissued in 2006:

[​IMG]

I've got the Pires set, been thinking about the Uchida set, but this one may go on the wish list as well.

--Geoff

23. George P

Yeah, Kraus had a special way with Mozart. Like Annie Fischer with Beethoven, we needed a woman to get a more masculine take.

24. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

Thanks for the clarification. I've always found Brendel a wee bit stodgy, at least his Beethoven sonatas, but I'll have a listen to his Haydn.

--Geoff

25. George P

Me too. His weakness in Beethoven becomes a strength in Haydn, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.