Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #36)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I think it is a tragedy that some many people focus on say Dvorak for his symphonies 7-9, there is so much else he wrote, that is worthy of similar attention.

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I hate to say it but those that only listen to Symphonies 7-9 of Dvorak are marginal classical listeners. :cheers:

3. Rose River Bear

I found a Mint- copy of this last week. I don't think it was ever played.

4. Collector Man

The worthy mention of Macal's name, is another example of the many respected artists that may make a recording here and there, but never get the real recognition they really deserve.

5. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Turns out my local library does have a copy of that, I'll be listening to it this evening (which will make it a Gardiner hat trick this spring) and will get back to you shortly with my thoughts. :righton:

6. I like to say this:

I do not agree with you. I am still listening to new Dvorak material via newly acquired LPs.

Don't point your finger, to anyone, anywhere, because there will always be: three fingers: pointing back to you.

Lisen to what you like, when you like, does not make one "less" or "more" of a Fan of Classical Music in regards to any composer or their work!

Life is too short to work with rules when it comes to enjoying Art in any shape that it comes in: Music, Paintings, Books, Movies, etc.

Cheers, Long Play Fan

7. Picked up this LP from the local thrift store for only $1.00 yesterday afternoon.

Review: Excellent performance and recording. Groove condition, brand new: quiet as a black cat walking in a dark shadow at night!

Attached Files:

8. Rose River Bear

I am not in anyway passing judgment but Dvorak is one of those composers that has many works in the standard repertoire of classical music. There is nothing wrong with determining the level of depth of a person's involvement in any art form. I consider myself a moderate listener when it comes to classical music. There are some friends of mine whose listening spectrum is much broader. There are some on this forum that are much broader than I am. Would I take it personally if say George P. said to me that his depth of understanding and involvement with piano works is much deeper than mine? Of course not. I would agree with him and he would not have implied that he gets more enjoyment out of what he listens to than I do. Something subjective like that cannot be measured.

I was not finger pointing and never meant it as a personal detraction to anyone. Of course, someone could listen to every other composer other than Dvorak. Would that make them a marginal listener or fan? No.
    I probably should not have been so general.

9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

He wrote some wonderful chamber music. And the cello concerto is a favorite of mine. Only the Elgar is better (IMHO).

10. Rose River Bear

Tough to argue with you on that. Both are masterpieces.

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

True, though these symphonies are very easy to like. I've already mentioned my fondness for the Kertész/LSO performance of #6. It's coupled with a beautiful version of the 'Symphonic Variations' on my CD.

[​IMG]

12. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

yep! as a body i think the string quartets rank right up there and there's lots of great ones besides the 'american' quartet that's usually performed. likewise, the piano trios are pretty great... i have a soft spot for the 4th (the "dumky" trio). but maybe all this is just part of human nature where works that enter the public consciousness acquire a name, and then when people go looking for things they latch onto the ones that are already named?

13. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

beautiful symphonic poems too - Water Goblin, Golden Spinning Wheel etc

14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I never owned the earlier mastering of the cycle ...

15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just placed this small order with my favorite MP vendor this evening ...

[​IMG]

but expect to pick up the following version as well. It appears the two CD's have only 2 or 3 tracks in common ...

[​IMG]

16. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

About to give this a first spin. Looking forward to comparing it to the Impomptus by Radu Lupu on Decca.

[​IMG]

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

listening now to my copy & liking it.an early Decca Digital recording made in
    the Sofiensaal,9/17-19/79 & released on London 7/80.on the 20th they recorded Beethoven's Violin Concerto with Kyung-Wah Chung.
    producer:Christopher Raeburn.engineers:James Lock & James Brown.

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing an oldie but a goodie:
    • Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 2 in C minor, Op. 17 'Little Russian' - New Philharmonia Orchestra / Claudio Abbado [DG 1972, Production: Karl Faust, Artistic supervision: Rainer Brock, Recording engineer: Heinz Wildhagen — the only version of this work that I own, outstanding, exciting, brilliantly-played, typical muddy 70's DG orchestral sound, though]

Attached Files:

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Absolutely! The Cello Corcerto is great. I like the recording with Dupre and an old mono Decca with Fournier.

20. John S

John S Forum Resident

[​IMG]

For decades I avoided stuff my mother used to play in favor of music I deemed more "serious." This CD has been on my shelf unplayed for a very long time. Great to revisit it.

21. john greenwood

He loved recording those. Multiple performances in the EMI box.

22. john greenwood

I have the Du Pre, but I prefer Starker on MLP (wish I had upgraded to the SACD).

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Éclairs sur l'Au-delà

Somehow the Cello Concerto never registered quite like the Sixth Symphony or the Serenade for Strings. I've got the Casals recording in a big box that includes the Schubert Quintet in C, the one disc in that box I keep going back to.

One of Leopold Stokowski's final recordings features the Dvorak Serenade:

[​IMG]

Even among the many classic recordings featuring the Maestro, this stands out. This goes way past 'Indian Summer' right on into 'Visions of the Beyond', so to speak. I've never heard more beautiful string playing. The 'Tallis Fantasia' ain't exactly chopped liver, either.

24. Collector Man

Another Decca artist worth noting in Schubert is Clifford Curzon who when alive, was renowned for hating making recordings. But what great recordings they were. After all the hype seen here for the pretty young microwaved tinkler HJ Lim, what was my positive adversive reaction? I quickly went to the Web and ordered CDs of Alfred Brendel in Beethoven, Schubert & Lizst (Brendel- someone, whom I now admit - previously had been mostly... sadly neglected up to this time by me). Plus some others by Richter, Arrau, Paul Crossley, Helene Grimaud, and Gordon Fergus Thompson.:)

25. Collector Man

What about the amazing explosive Mahler Symphony No 2 (RCA) he made when he was up in his nineties? Stokowski was one of the few conductors whose very name on a recording, commands that people intently listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.